Eucalyptus

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
Has anyone else tried Eucalyptus, which is a pile of open source software that let's you set up your own EC2-compatible private cloud complete with multi-tenancy?

I'm running it on c6100s right now with 192 total cores. I'd probably hate it if I were doing IO-heavy work with it, but for CPU-heavy work it has been great. I particularly like the fact that most (not all) EC2 tools are directly compatible. I use Eucalobo, for example, as my main management UI.

If you do want to give it a try, they have an ISO image that you can use to install all of the components on a single server in maybe 30 minutes with eight or ten clicks. It takes much longer to create a distributed deployment, but an all-in-one for testing is quite easy.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I tried it maybe 2 years ago. Was a total bear back then. Good to here that it is much better now.

TBH - was VERY close to using something like this for the STH colo. Maybe v3 will be an Eucalyptus setup. If I do expand the colo I am considering just adding a bunch of nodes so I can do different cloud setups (and not have many loud boxes at home.)

It is a pretty popular solution. My big question is if they will be able to hold out in a world with many different vendors trying to offer a platform.

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
dba: I noticed that in your sig a couple days ago and was actually going to email you and ask about it. I'd like to fire up an instance and play with that as well and deploy Docker containers to the respective nodes. Thus goes the theory...

dba

Feb 20, 2012
dba: I noticed that in your sig a couple days ago and was actually going to email you and ask about it. I'd like to fire up an instance and play with that as well and deploy Docker containers to the respective nodes. Thus goes the theory...
It has been a joy to work with. Earlier versions appear to have been rather quirky, judging by forum posts, but the versions that I have been using have been solid, though very poorly documented. I really enjoyed spinning up 180 VMs all at once via auto-scaling, each running the stress process, though seeing the cluster draw 30A was a bit alarming. March power bill: >$400. Luckily, the cluster is going into colo soon.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
Sweet! Where at? Or more importantly, what are you going to do with all of that space?
The workload is for another company I'm helping out - a rather impressive application that is perfect for Eucalyptus... and isn't fake money mining, games, or other nonsense. They have a CPU-heavy (pegs the CPU heavy), IO-light workload and are moving from EC2 to a hybrid cloud with EC2 and Eucalyptus working together. It's "only" 192 CPU cores right now, but could end up growing much much larger if it continues to deliver.

The servers will be going into a full rack in Sacramento from Datacate with a 30A 208V feed in the next week or so. It's a new enough deployment, likely requiring some hands-on work, that I didn't quite trust moving it to somewhere very distant in order to chase low power costs.

Last edited:

dba

Feb 20, 2012
You should definitely give it a try. If you ask, they'll give you a full account on the Eucalyptus Community Cloud to do an evaluation. I used mine lightly for several weeks and they never bugged me about usage or time. It's a bit faster than setting up your own micro-cloud, but there are IP address restrictions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7i7K_ecayg

https://communitycloud.eucalyptus.com

rnavarro

Feb 14, 2013
Correct, I'll be using ceph with cloudstack. The HP DL320s is a server I bought a while ago running ZFS.

There is a missing IBM x3250 that is also hosted there, it's an ESXi host using the ZFS pool for storage.