My new favorite over-the-top motherboard: Supermicro with 96 DIMM slots

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
You can never have too many PCIe slots, or too much RAM, I say. Supermicro seems to agree, and proffers their latest quad-Xeon monster motherboard in response: the X10QBi:

http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/4U/4048/SYS-4048B-TRFT.cfm

This beast, which of course requires a custom Supermicro chassis, features quad Xeon E7 CPUs that'll cost you the same as a small car and - here's the impressive part - 96 DIMM slots and 11 PCIe 3 slots. All of a sudden my quad Xeon E5 database machine starts looking pale by comparison...

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
You can never have too many PCIe slots, or too much RAM, I say. Supermicro seems to agree, and proffers their latest quad-Xeon monster motherboard in response: the X10QBi:

Supermicro | Products | SuperServer | 4U | 4048B-TRFT

This beast, which of course requires a custom Supermicro chassis, features quad Xeon E7 CPUs that'll cost you the same as a small car and - here's the impressive part - 96 DIMM slots and 11 PCIe 3 slots. All of a sudden my quad Xeon E5 database machine starts looking pale by comparison...
Quad Xeon E5 will have more PCIe lanes than Quad E7. "Rumor" has it Intel needed to lock on the E7 design over 18 months ago and the need for PCIe lanes was not as great back then. Quad E5 will be 160 lanes while Quad E7 will be 128.

BTW for those wondering here is the system:

and the motherboard:

Reactions: legen

Diavuno

the barebone is more then some make in a year. but its oozing awesome!

too bad computers dont pull ladies or I'd be THE MAN!

I just had a meeting with my team, including the hardware leased to clients with are closer to a TB of memory then none!

Ironically I could put all our internal stuff on a new atom with 16-32 GB ram, and that includes my excess silly VM's!

PersonalJ

May 17, 2013
the barebone is more then some make in a year. but its oozing awesome!

too bad computers dont pull ladies or I'd be THE MAN!

I just had a meeting with my team, including the hardware leased to clients with are closer to a TB of memory then none!

Ironically I could put all our internal stuff on a new atom with 16-32 GB ram, and that includes my excess silly VM's!
If you make enough money with computers you can pull lots of ladies :)

William

May 7, 2015
Even tho this picture has made it around the web, not sure how.
Hopefully this will show back up here soon.

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
... Or, or, you could grin like a silly idiot ....
are you referring to your profile pic? :D

just kidding.

I think I'd rather spend the $50K developing a software platform for collaborator project to make the world a better place.

I think it would give me more kudos than a hot lady or BMW.

BTW I think I'd prefer a Telsa motorcar

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Somebody is going to pay $50K for these. That doesn't mean that you have to! eBay + ES CPUs + patience = big savings.
Right?
If you are paying 50k you are doing it drastically wrong.
You could have a DL580gen8 decked out for that.

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
Somebody is going to pay $50K for these. That doesn't mean that you have to! eBay + ES CPUs + patience = big savings.
Technology will get cheaper and new hardware will be developed to shift the paradigm.

Take PCI-e SSDs and Intel Xeon Phi Coprocessors, maybe future motherboards will be a vast array of PCI-e or alternative slots.