HP DL180G6 runs Xpenology (Synology clone) with LSI SAS!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
I just installed Xpenology DSM 4.3 onto an HP DL180 G6 with an LSI SAS card, giving me the equivalent of a $3,000 Synology DS3612xs NAS for around $400... though much louder than any store-bought Synology.

My Franken-Synology with 17 drives works just like my Synology DS213j, except MUCH MUCH faster. If anyone is interested, here are the important links:

1) You'll want to read the xpenology forum at www.xpenology.com
2) The basic instructions are here: XPEnology NAS â€Â¢ View topic - Installing XPEnology in PC but that version does not support the LSI SAS cards
3) The updated code with LSI SAS support is here: XPEnology NAS â€Â¢ View topic - Drivers requests / Beta. Download and expand the file from the link named synoboot-3810-pre-v1.1_v4 and ignore everything except synoboot-3810-pre-v1.1_v4.img

The instructions in bullet point #3 above say to copy some .ko files to /lib/modules, but that is not necessary. Simply follow the instructions in bullet point #2, but substitute the .img file from the bullet point #3 download for the .img file downloaded from bullet point #2. That may sound complicated, but it isn't. Basically you use a .img file to create a bootable USB drive, boot your NAS from the key, and then load the rest of the software from the .pat file.

Here is the hardware that I'm using:
1) HP DL180 G6 chassis with the expander backplane (the expander is slow (3Gbit per disk) but OK for a NAS).
2) Single Intel Xeon L5520 CPU - dirt cheap, and more than powerful enough for a NAS. A Xeon L5630 would be even better.
3) 8GB of RAM. Synology doesn't use much memory.
4) LSI 9201-8i SAS/SATA HBA in IT mode.
5) Five SSD drives (one on the motherboard and four attached to the LSI card - all mounted inside of the chassis) plus 12 3.5" SATA drives attached to the expander backplane.
6) A simple USB key for the Synology OS
7) I'll try 10GbE next, since I'm pretty sure that there are no Infiniband drivers in the Synology code. (supported cards: http://www.synology.com/en-global/support/faq/440). The creator of Xpenology, Trantor, has promised to add a driver for the inexpensive Brocade 1020 cards in his next release.
8) If your disks can handle it, consider increasing the resources allocated to RAID expansion and rebuild. See Google for details, for example http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-raid-increase-resync-rebuild-speed.html. I boosted min to 200K and max to 500K and saw much faster volume expansion.

Idle power draw is ~140 watts with 7200 RPM SATA midline drives set not to hibernate, and a 10GbE card installed, compared to the Synology DS3612xs which quotes 132 watts "access" and 57 watts with the drives hibernating, using WD low power drives... which means something between 57 and 132 if they measured power at idle.

Some tips:
1) The HP RAID card didn't work with Xpenology. It's supposed to, so perhaps it was my 9TB RAID disk that the software didn't recognize.
2) The Synology install will fail unless you have at least one SATA drive attached to a SATA motherboard port. My first attempt used only drives attached to the LSI card which, caused the install to abort.
3) The above is for DSM 4.3 3810. Soon enough the links above will become obsolete. See www.xpenology.com for the latest information.
4) On the DL180 G6 with the expander in use, Xpenology can only see disks 9-12. So the eight-disk non expander version of the DL180 might be a better choice. See below for more details.
5) While the Synology assistant works just great, you can instead use the web-based installer. Once you have booted from the USB key, pull up a browser and enter: http://find.synology.com/
6) Not a tip, but some detail: The USB key you create from the .img file contains the Linux kernel and drivers, etc. needed to boot. The .pat file you then install using the Synology assistant contains the Synology code.
7) As an alternative, you can also install VMWare ESXi on the DL180 G6 and then install Synology as a VM. There is a separate download available on www.xpenology.com for the VM version of Xpenology.

Fixing the expander problem
on my dl180 G6 with the expander, Xpenology successfully finds all of the drives, but not all of them show up in the UI. In fact, only four of them do. I was able to make all of the drives appear by following the instructions at http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1361&start=230 . More specifically, I used ssh to edit /etc/syninfo.conf and /etc.defaults/syninfo.conf with the following values:
esataportcfg=”0x0000000”
usbportcfg="0xff00000"
internalportcfg=”0xfffff”
After these changes, all of the drives appear in the UI.

Last edited:
Reactions: hedche

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
That forum is so hard to read. Thanks for the info. Does it have Synology HA?

Thinking here that if it works on the G6 it should work on the C6100. Wonder if it could push 600MBps with all on the ICH10R.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Could Please check if iSCSI target work on Xpenology DSM 4.3 version?
thanks

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Very nice. Is it the LSI controller that prevents you from spinning down the drives? Or is it a limitation of Xpenology?

dba

Feb 20, 2012
That forum is so hard to read. Thanks for the info. Does it have Synology HA?

Thinking here that if it works on the G6 it should work on the C6100. Wonder if it could push 600MBps with all on the ICH10R.
Hi Jeggs101,

I installed the HA package, and it then let me start to create a cluster, but I don't have another identical DL180 Franken-Synology to pair it with, so I can't actually test it. I do agree that a pair of these in HA would be an appealing solution. Now a c6100 node with just three disks as a NAS? That doesn't seem that useful.

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Hi Jeggs101,

I installed the HA package, and it then let me start to create a cluster, but I don't have another identical DL180 Franken-Synology to pair it with, so I can't actually test it. I do agree that a pair of these in HA would be an appealing solution. Now a c6100 node with just three disks as a NAS? That doesn't seem that useful.
Maybe a 6 drive?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Yea or once that gets fixed 2 chassis and you could have 2x USB boot pfSense nodes, 1x NAS and 2x normal compute... Maybe I looked at two C6100s today. :)

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
what does work as far as hypervisor compatible? NFS w/vaai? or is this just for smb2 file based storage?

How well would it work with esxi 5.5 (62tb LUN) or hyper-V? Then you could use the HP smart array controller in theory!

dba

Feb 20, 2012
what does work as far as hypervisor compatible? NFS w/vaai? or is this just for smb2 file based storage?

How well would it work with esxi 5.5 (62tb LUN) or hyper-V? Then you could use the HP smart array controller in theory!
It supports VAAI, but I wouldn't use it for VMs until iSCSI got fixed. Lucky for me, this is going to be a "cold storage" backup server - somewhere to do periodic backups of the backups - and that does not require iSCSI.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Dba:
I read that in Xpenology forum, you like to reduce fan noise and too much cooling.
Let me mention what I have done by going from 8 fans down to 2 fans.
I purchased these cables 10 Pcs 2510 Pitch 2 54mm 6 Pin Female Connector with 26AWG 300mm Leads Cable | eBay
10 pcs 2510 Pitch 2.54mm 6 Pin Female Connector with 26AWG 300mm Leads Cable for $5.99

I unplugged 6 out of 8 fans , to fool the bios thinking all 6 unplugged fans are still spinning. I wired up all the unused fan's rpm sensor wire to one working fan's sensor wire.
Now one single spinning fan is feeding all 6 fan rpm sensor. HP bios is happy and no alarm.
If anyone wants picture, let me know, I'll take my HP apart for some pictures.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
Dba:
I read that in Xpenology forum, you like to reduce fan noise and too much cooling.
Let me mention what I have done by going from 8 fans down to 2 fans.
I purchased these cables 10 Pcs 2510 Pitch 2 54mm 6 Pin Female Connector with 26AWG 300mm Leads Cable | eBay
10 pcs 2510 Pitch 2.54mm 6 Pin Female Connector with 26AWG 300mm Leads Cable for $5.99

I unplugged 6 out of 8 fans , to fool the bios thinking all 6 unplugged fans are still spinning. I wired up all the unused fan's rpm sensor wire to one working fan's sensor wire.
Now one single spinning fan is feeding all 6 fan rpm sensor. HP bios is happy and no alarm.
If anyone wants picture, let me know, I'll take my HP apart for some pictures.
Hi Marsh,

That sounds like exactly what I need to do. Please do post some photos and details!

P.S. - I just ordered the wires and connectors from eBay.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Last edited:

dba

Feb 20, 2012
Remove all other unnecessary wires , leave 2 fans rpm sensor wires.
Don't worry about the color coded wires not matching the HP fan wires.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4KtKtzEl6d7NjM5MzR2V3FyM0k/edit?usp=sharing

Solder the fan rpm sensor wires together , and connect to a working fan rpm sensor wire

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4KtKtzEl6d7eWxxUzlZSzBIVTA/edit?usp=sharing

Images not loading, using direct link to images instead
Thanks! I'm going to do exactly that next week.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
I use my HP as backup server to my Windows fileserver. Currently I am backing up to 3 Xpenology servers, each Xpenology server have 5x3 TB drives.
Eventually I like to buy more disk drives to fill the 2 HP servers. It will take some time.
For now, I only have couple of drives and a single L5520 cpu. it keeps the CPU idle around 24-27 C. I don't use the HP 24x7.

May be DBA will do the hack and let us know the temp. I imagine instead running on 2 fans, one could choose to run on 3 to 4 fans.