H12SSL-I Stuck at "bmc initiating"

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
Tried to recover a H11ssl BMC yesterday by trying to flash a stock image from SM.
I think that lost the BMC-NIC MAC and the thing didn't have networking anymore.

If you were to do that, i think that at least that would make the wait for BMC happy if that is the issue.
Though i also think that it should time out after a while and continue anyway, so it is weird that that isn't happeneing as well.

Luckily, i had a backup and could flash that back in my case.
Sadly, the H11 BMC FW is different enough to the X10 and X11 series for me to not be able to reset that to factory settings manually.
H12 FW is different yet again, so, good luck with i guess?

In my opinion, an external SPI eeprom flasher is your only option at this point.
Get one with with SOP8 and SOP16 clips and the 1.8V Level shifter, and take a Multimeter to the EEPROMS and measure their voltage to make sure you arre using the right combo.
You could either flash the BMC FW to stock and hope that makes the wait feature happy.
Or you modify a bios to not wait by default, and then flash that.
Other ideas?

PeterF

Jul 28, 2014
I'll take this as the last resort. Is there any other way to reset, reflash BMC? I guess toys like Supermicro IPMI SIMLP-3+ are not usefull in this scenario?
There is an UID button close to the VGA port. I think there have been reports that this can get stuck and cause a problem like yours.
It can get stuck when the MB is inserted in the chassis or a pci card is inserted or taken out.
BR
Peter

Reactions: RolloZ170

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Other ideas?
modded BIOS does NOT work at H12/X12 for security reasons.
i tried to flash a X12SPL BIOS with ch341a, the LEDs of the board lighten up and the USB port dropped.
don't know if its same on H12. for that reason its most easy on a board with no warranty to swap the flash chips if you can.

Dick Lee

Nov 6, 2022
There is an UID button close to the VGA port. I think there have been reports that this can get stuck and cause a problem like yours.
It can get stuck when the MB is inserted in the chassis or a pci card is inserted or taken out.
I really hope you are right! I'll test the mb again later, fingers crossed!

Dick Lee

Nov 6, 2022
BR
Peter
No luck. I installed it in another case, used another psu, 1 stick of ram, 1 gpu & nothing else, still the same story - the cpu fan span at high speed once I powered on the psu.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
that picture is sadly not good enough, to really make it out.
But U4 looks uniform and fine, U6 does not look uniform but with a bit of dust / grime, i think that one might still be ok.

U5 is in my opinion very likely dead and splintered.
Those are bare unprotected silicon wafer chips on a few solder-balls tasked with converting voltages for the BMC from 3.3VSB, called Buck-Converter.

If one of those voltages is missing,the BMC can't fulfill its job and to me, that it still can blink is luck.
I have a H12DSi with which that happened, but it killed the BMC by giving it 3.3V instead.

You can make sure of what i say by measuring the black inductors of the Buck-converters.
i have marked all three of them and where you can measure the voltage in this picture.
Please measure the voltages on all 3 and i hope for you that they all have some voltage on them.
I suspect the middle one for U5 to measure 0V.

Attachments

Reactions: SolidCactus

Dick Lee

Nov 6, 2022
Tried to recover a H11ssl BMC yesterday by trying to flash a stock image from SM.
I think that lost the BMC-NIC MAC and the thing didn't have networking anymore.

If you were to do that, i think that at least that would make the wait for BMC happy if that is the issue.
Though i also think that it should time out after a while and continue anyway, so it is weird that that isn't happeneing as well.

Luckily, i had a backup and could flash that back in my case.
Sadly, the H11 BMC FW is different enough to the X10 and X11 series for me to not be able to reset that to factory settings manually.
H12 FW is different yet again, so, good luck with i guess?

In my opinion, an external SPI eeprom flasher is your only option at this point.
Get one with with SOP8 and SOP16 clips and the 1.8V Level shifter, and take a Multimeter to the EEPROMS and measure their voltage to make sure you arre using the right combo.
You could either flash the BMC FW to stock and hope that makes the wait feature happy.
Other ideas?
I just bought the kit for flashing. The seller could not tell me which color is 1. Could you tell me which one is 1? 50c39b72340d9d835ab29543dd7c797f.jpg

null224

Dec 29, 2022
that picture is sadly not good enough, to really make it out.
But U4 looks uniform and fine, U6 does not look uniform but with a bit of dust / grime, i think that one might still be ok.

U5 is in my opinion very likely dead and splintered.
Those are bare unprotected silicon wafer chips on a few solder-balls tasked with converting voltages for the BMC from 3.3VSB, called Buck-Converter.

If one of those voltages is missing,the BMC can't fulfill its job and to me, that it still can blink is luck.
I have a H12DSi with which that happened, but it killed the BMC by giving it 3.3V instead.

You can make sure of what i say by measuring the black inductors of the Buck-converters.
i have marked all three of them and where you can measure the voltage in this picture.
Please measure the voltages on all 3 and i hope for you that they all have some voltage on them.
I suspect the middle one for U5 to measure 0V.
I'm not seeing a part number on these. Should the voltage be the same on all 3? I'm getting 1.2v on the top one then 30mv on the other 2. Is there a way of disabling the BMC?

Dick Lee

Nov 6, 2022
Not yet, still trying to figure out how to flash the chip. Since I got a tyan s8030 to replace it, ther's no rush.

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
Keep in mind that you can't use the files you download for a 'normal' update, those are intended to be read by a BIOS program, not to be stored on flash memory. You need a raw dump for that. As a result, you'll also get the MAC and UUIDs from a raw dump, so you may need to change those.

Besides that, what about the burn mark on that part?

Also: if you see text on your screen, that's the BIOS, not the BMC. The BIOS does try to talk to the BMC, so any text about the BMC is about that, not the other way around.