Where are the DDR5 ECC UDIMMs?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BigBullion

Jul 28, 2022
@BigBullion
Gigabyte's BIOS manual was created prior to the BIOS releases where they mention ECC so it makes sense that it does not mention ECC at all. ASRock otoh does however mention ECC in their BIOS manual however they don't seem to list what boards it applies to. It could also be that ECC gets silently enabled on your Gigabyte board which dmidecode or edac should tell. I'm also asking because you seem to have used memtest86 and not memtest86+ (different products).

Edit: I missed your screenshot :/
I was unfamiliar with "dmidecode" and "DMI" so my previous screenshot did not include DMI type 16. Below is a screenshot of DMI type 16. It reports "Error Correction Type" as "Multi-bit ECC".
Screenshot from 2023-01-30 12-32-28.png

This is on the Gigabyte B650 Aero G motherboard (BIOS version: F4h (AGESA 1.0.0.4)) with Micron RAM (MTC20C2085S1EC48BA1R).

Last edited:

BigBullion

Jul 28, 2022
I ran Linux from a bootable USB drive without any storage device installed, without any problem on the B650 Aero G motherboard. By the time I installed an NVMe drive, the screen stayed black while booting up. I guess that it was trying to boot from the NVMe drive. In that state, I cannot even get into BIOS even when I was hammering the DEL key for three minutes. Only clearing CMOS allowed me to get into BIOS.

While I was running Linux, it froze once when I was updating packages and had to reset the system. I only started using it two days ago.

I was unable to install Windows 11 on the B650 Aero G motherboard. I tried several times and it either freezes and/or have blue screens. Resetting CMOS did not help. Blue screen error codes are all over the place including "MEMORY" errors, "CORRUPTION" errors and "THREAD" errors. I have checksummed the ISO files to make sure they are not corrupt. I have also tried placing the NVMe drive in different slots. The NVMe drive that I have used (WD SN750 500 GB) is listed in the MB's QVL. This is the only storage device connected to the system.

Another issue is slow start up times after I change the BIOS settings or after clearing CMOS. I have to hammer the "DEL" key for a minute to get into BIOS. Pressing and holding down the DEL key down does not work. I have to pound the key again and again.

I also own a Gigabyte W480M Vision motherboard. The W480 did not have any of the above issues when running from the same NVMe drive.

The W480 motherboard is currently sent to Gigabyte for repair because of memory errors in MemTest86. I have ruled out bad RAM sticks since I have tested four sticks of memory from two different brands. It is either a bad CPU or a bad motherboard.

I have an 6-core Intel Xeon W-1350. I purchased a 16-core 7950X processor because I wanted to see if more cores will speed up compilation time for C# / .NET projects.

Last edited:

BigBullion

Jul 28, 2022
I found the cause of the blue screens of deaths (BSOD) and freezing during Windows 11 installation. The problem was caused by the Core Performance Boost (CPB) overclocking feature which is enabled by default in the BIOS.

Here were the steps that I took to narrow down the cause:

I cleared CMOS, and then disabled "DDR5 Auto Booster" which was enabled by default. That did not work.

I tried again, clearing CMOS, and then disabled both "DDR5 Auto Booster" and Precision Boost Overdrive (PBO), both of which were enabled by default. That still did not work.

I tried yet again, clearing CMOS, and then I disabled these three items: Core Performance Boost (CPB), Precision Boost Overdrive (PBO) and "DDR5 Auto Booster". Disabling all three items allowed me to install Windows 11 without the BSODs or freezing.

I eventually narrowed it down to CPB only. I cleared CMOS again, that did not work. I then disabled only one option, CPB, that did work.

disabled.JPG

I do have doubts that disabling CPB, PBO and "DDR5 Auto Booster" fixed the instability in its entirety. This is because I did have additional software hiccups with Linux and Windows even after disabling them. But I am not certain, as I not know if that caused by the CPU instability or software bugs.

So the fault is either on the CPU or the motherboard. The fault could be on the CPU, because it could not handle the stock overclock setting. Or the fault could be on the motherboard, for its apparently unstable default CPB or PBO settings. The Gigabyte B650 Aero G is a powerful board with 16+2+1 and 90 amp VRM. It should therefore be expected that the motherboard would use its capabilities to its advantage (as in overclocking the CPU) rather than let its capabilities go to waste. Usually people who buy this board will also pair it with a water cooler. But I am using this with an air cooler (not recommended by AMD for the 7950x). This may exacerbate the problem. People using ASUS motherboards have problems with CPB and PBO too.

I do not think the problem is from the Micron RAM. It succeeded four passes of the MemTest86 tests.

pass.JPG

I noticed an discrepancy in its labeling of their NVMe slots. I have clearly placed the only NVMe card in the M2A_CPU slot, as shown in the photo and block diagram below. But the BIOS says that the NVMe card is in the M2B_CPU slot!

m2b.JPG

block-diagram.PNG

m2a.JPG

I have reported these issues to Gigabyte.

Last edited:

BigBullion

Jul 28, 2022
I get a "6" from the command "wmic memphysical get memoryerrorcorrection" in Windows.

A "6" should indicate support for "multi-bit ECC"; however, like you said, ECC might not be actually supported, at least for now.

Last edited:

BigBullion

Jul 28, 2022
My CPU may be defective since it cannot run at stock settings. Therefore, I have requested a replacement. It seems like I am stuck with the AM5 platform, as I cannot return defective products from Newegg, which is where I bought the CPU and motherboard from. Also, I dislike returning open box items in general as it is wasteful in many ways. That includes my time being wasted from packing the items the exact same way as how they originally came. I have cut open the plastic packaging and have accidentally ripped apart some M.2 thermal pads. This makes it ineligible for return unless I could find a replacement thermal pad of the same size.

Gigabyte is the only manufacturer that includes AGESA 1.0.0.4 in their BIOS updates. Other manufacturers' BIOSes have older AGESA versions. I used to wonder about the reason, and I thought the reason was just Gigabyte being faster with their updates than other motherboard manufacturers. But I was wrong. The actual reason why other motherboard manufacturers did not include the latest AGESA 1.0.0.4 in their BIOS is due to a bug. In AGESA 1.0.0.4, it inadvertently disables cores on some 7600X CPUs.

1675568147492.png

This may be a good thing, though, since it may indicate that motherboard manufacturers are not lagging behind in AGESA updates. This means that AGESA 1.0.0.5 (which supports ECC) may be available sooner than we think.

Last edited:

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013
Maybe already been discussed but looks like Samsung modules are available now

edit: nevermind, non-ECC

Last edited:

ddr5ecc

Feb 5, 2023
Mainboard is Supermicro X13SAE-F
CPU is Intel i7-13700K
Mainboard firmware is 2.0
RAM is 2 x Kingston Server Premiere DDR5 ECC 32GB KSM48E40BD8KM-32HM

Memtest is version 10.2
memtest.jpg

supermicro.jpg

Memoryerrorcorrection in Windows is 5

I hope this is helping a little bit

(Memtest 10.0 didn't recognize this config correctly - Memtest 10.0 recognized it correctly with a i7-12700K but not with a i7-13700K - updating Memtest to 10.2 helped)

BigBullion

Jul 28, 2022
Last edited:
Reactions: rootshell

kiyoku

Jan 15, 2021
Has anyone tried the Micron MTC20C2085S1EC48BA1 with Asus Pro WS W680 yet? I've seen couple reports confirming hynix's is working (including ECC) but nothing for the Micron.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I emailed their support and they seem confused by the W680 platform stating that the issue is ECC isn't supported by the 12th gen Core processors.
its hard to get right people there. they may refer to old datasheets.
ecc error injection must not supported even if the chipset supports ecc.

Version 9.4 (Build 1000) 24/Jan/2022

• Added ECC Support for Intel Alder Lake chipset