[Update: Seller Complaints Accumulating] HGST Ultrastar He10 - 10TB @ $129.95

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
and checking their bay inventory - they have 22570 available as of this post. my guess you might be able to store every single episode of law and order, their spinoffs, ncis & their spinoffs, and probably coronation street! LOL....

so where the heck did they acquire 30K 10TB drives?
Good question.

Reactions: Sleyk

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
and checking their bay inventory - they have 22570 available as of this post. my guess you might be able to store every single episode of law and order, their spinoffs, ncis & their spinoffs, and probably coronation street! LOL....

so where the heck did they acquire 30K 10TB drives?
Maybe amazon or google or backblaze datacenter?

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
SAS only :|
Perfect it's sas only because the sas drives are built to last for enterprise use, which is why people are not hesitate to use them even though they have hundreds of TB written and many hours of use. Also it makes them in "less demand" for the general population so lower price for us! Most people in the general world and ebay doesn't know how simple it is to get these cheap drives to work by just adding a cheap controller. Let them stick to sata so we can have ours...lol..

Yeah lol, and commercials... there's so many of them that's why these drives are so cheap, they are going to have these for a LONG time.
Not for that long. if he has 30K of these drives and already sold 7K in a few months, these would be all gone in a few more months. There is literally no dropoff in the amount he sold for each week. Hopefullly by then we will have something better. For me, I got enough to hopefully last me close to two more years

Reactions: Sleyk and RayNelson

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Not for that long. if he has 30K of these drives and already sold 7K in a few months, these would be all gone in a few more months. There is literally no dropoff in the amount he sold for each week. Hopefullly by then we will have something better. For me, I got enough to hopefully last me close to two more years
I thought long and hard about going from 8 to 10. I'd be swapping again in a year. While not painful - inconvenient. Why I went to 16. However if I had to build machines for folks this is what I use and those "inexpensive but excellent value" & versatile controllers you reference! ;)f

and I'm keenly watching the inventory diminish.

unwind-protect

Mar 7, 2016
Boston
Perfect it's sas only because the sas drives are built to last for enterprise use, which is why people are not hesitate to use them even though they have hundreds of TB written and many hours of use. Also it makes them in "less demand" for the general population so lower price for us! Most people in the general world and ebay doesn't know how simple it is to get these cheap drives to work by just adding a cheap controller. Let them stick to sata so we can have ours...lol..
Yeah, but flexibility is restricted. In an emergency, or later in life, you can connect a SATA drive via USB, but not a SAS drive.

Sleyk

Your Friendly Knowledgable Helper and Techlover!
Mar 25, 2016
Stamford, CT
Maybe amazon or google or backblaze datacenter?
That's what I'm wondering too. Man, these enterprise server guys get the lead on these drops. I wish I had those connections. I would make bank selling these, Lol.

I know this doesn't count for inventory loss and returns, ebay SNAD's etc, but just a simple calculation of $129.99 x 7,755 drives sold = over a million dollars alone!! Plus these guys have over 22,000 drives left? My goodness!!!

Heck, even if you take more conservative numbers and subtract for fees and shipping and stuff, you still get approx:

$99.95 x let's say, 7500 drives = $750k. Then maybe minus lets say, 20k in shipping, another 80k in fees, and you still have 650k on your hands, with still another 22,000 more drives left to be sold.

Even if you also count in storage fees and handling, thats still over half a million bucks made for not even a full quarter of the drives you have.

Damn, I wish I was one of these resellers :cool:

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
That's what I'm wondering too. Man, these enterprise server guys get the lead on these drops. I wish I had those connections. I would make bank selling these, Lol.

I know this doesn't count for inventory loss and returns, ebay SNAD's etc, but just a simple calculation of $129.99 x 7,755 drives sold = over a million dollars alone!! Plus these guys have over 22,000 drives left? My goodness!!!

Heck, even if you take more conservative numbers and subtract for fees and shipping and stuff, you still get approx:

$99.95 x let's say, 7500 drives = $750k. Then maybe minus lets say, 20k in shipping, another 80k in fees, and you still have 650k on your hands, with still another 22,000 more drives left to be sold.

Even if you also count in storage fees and handling, thats still over half a million bucks made for not even a full quarter of the drives you have.

Damn, I wish I was one of these resellers :cool:
It's not bad. For one person, this would be a full time job to package them and ship them. Still not a bad full time job with not much thinking...lol...

Almighty

Oct 27, 2019
Maybe this is a dumb question, but gotta ask...

I have 8x HUH721010ALE600 (SATA version of this drive) in an existing zfs pool:
Code:
Firmware Version: LHGNT92C
User Capacity:    10,000,831,348,736 bytes [10.0 TB]
Sector Sizes:     512 bytes logical, 4096 bytes physical
Rotation Rate:    7200 rpm
If I'm putting these in a Supermicro 846 with a SAS3 backplane, connected through an external SFF connector to an LSI SAS3 HBA, using zfs (ashift=12, which I believe will avoid any 512b vs 4096b sector issues), should I run into any problems mixing the SATA/SAS drives? I may keep the 8 SATA in their own raidz2 in the pool and add 8 sas as raidz2 and maybe another 8 sas as raidz2 later in the same pool. I know in the old days mixing SATA/SAS hardware was frowned upon, but from a little research I may not actually have any issue here.

Any help appreciated!

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Maybe this is a dumb question, but gotta ask...

I have 8x HUH721010ALE600 (SATA version of this drive) in an existing zfs pool:
Code:
Firmware Version: LHGNT92C
User Capacity:    10,000,831,348,736 bytes [10.0 TB]
Sector Sizes:     512 bytes logical, 4096 bytes physical
Rotation Rate:    7200 rpm
If I'm putting these in a Supermicro 846 with a SAS3 backplane, connected through an external SFF connector to an LSI SAS3 HBA, using zfs (ashift=12, which I believe will avoid any 512b vs 4096b sector issues), should I run into any problems mixing the SATA/SAS drives? I may keep the 8 SATA in their own raidz2 in the pool and add 8 sas as raidz2 and maybe another 8 sas as raidz2 later in the same pool. I know in the old days mixing SATA/SAS hardware was frowned upon, but from a little research I may not actually have any issue here.

Any help appreciated!
I am guessing its not a good idea still because of different hardware type and sectors etc it wont be a stable array...

ArthurA

Sep 26, 2018
it's very interesting also to see that the amount of data written on these drives are a lot more than the amount read. Wonder what kind of operation they were in to have so much more byte written compared to read.
Nearline backup, S3 availability zone replicas, yada yada. Ball park 0.02 DWPD.... on magnetic media, fast filed in useless trivia that makes you go hmmm.

heromode

May 25, 2020
Without knowing anything about these i would still venture they are NL-SAS, or Nearline SAS. Means the HDD's are exactly the same as the SATA ones just with a SAS controller, and possibly custom sector sizes. Mechanically they are no more reliable or faster than sata.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Without knowing anything about these i would still venture they are NL-SAS, or Nearline SAS. Means the HDD's are exactly the same as the SATA ones just with a SAS controller, and possibly custom sector sizes. Mechanically they are no more reliable or faster than sata.
Usually HDD fail fairly fast within the first year. So if they last 3 yrs at hundreds of TB written, that means likely a lot of these problem are less likely present.

Reactions: Fritz