[Update: Seller Complaints Accumulating] HGST Ultrastar He10 - 10TB @ $129.95

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
I just got 10x (2x 5pk listing same vendor has as OP); so, I'll check mine as well over the next week.

Apparently I previously bought a single 5x batch from this vender last year (Aug or so) as a Best Offer for $450. I just clicked, "Ordered Again." Those are still going strong.

Sacrilego

Jun 23, 2016
Truenas 12-U7 | Supermicro X9DRD-7lN4F in a CSE-825TQ-R740LPBB. (2) Xeon E5-2630 64GB Ram.
Using onboard SAS2.
2 pools. Tank1: 4(8tb), ashift=12, 2 vdev mirror/stripe. Tank2: 4(4tb) 512e, ashift=12, 1 vdev Z2

I'll update Truenas tonight. I'm currently swapping disks for Tank2 which is the 4 4tb drives.

The first disk I tried to replace gave me that smart error. I swapped for another, and it went without issue.
Trying to swap the second disk so far 2 disks in a row with smart failures.

No issues with the hardware prior to this and no issue with a second system with the same hardware (Replaced 2 disk on that one so far).

Sacrilego

Jun 23, 2016
SMARTCTL -a?
All three drives have the same seek error rate too high.
No smart errors reported prior to resilvering.

Code:
=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Vendor:               HGST
Product:              HUH721010AL42C0
Revision:             A38K
Compliance:           SPC-4
User Capacity:        10,000,831,348,736 bytes [10.0 TB]
Logical block size:   4096 bytes
LU is fully provisioned
Rotation Rate:        7200 rpm
Form Factor:          3.5 inches
Logical Unit id:      0x5000cca26a8fff78
Serial number:        2T
Device type:          disk
Transport protocol:   SAS (SPL-3)
Local Time is:        Sun May 29 17:11:22 2022 CDT
SMART support is:     Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is:     Enabled
Temperature Warning:  Enabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART Health Status: FIRMWARE IMPENDING FAILURE SEEK ERROR RATE TOO HIGH [asc=5d, ascq=63]

Grown defects during certification <not available>
Total blocks reassigned during format <not available>
Total new blocks reassigned <not available>
Power on minutes since format <not available>
Current Drive Temperature:     34 C
Drive Trip Temperature:        85 C

Accumulated power on time, hours:minutes 27301:28
Manufactured in week 12 of year 2018
Specified cycle count over device lifetime:  50000
Accumulated start-stop cycles:  18
Specified load-unload count over device lifetime:  600000
Accumulated load-unload cycles:  1206
Elements in grown defect list: 0

Vendor (Seagate Cache) information
  Blocks sent to initiator = 5881521235820544

Error counter log:
           Errors Corrected by           Total   Correction     Gigabytes    Total
               ECC          rereads/    errors   algorithm      processed    uncorrected
           fast | delayed   rewrites  corrected  invocations   [10^9 bytes]  errors
read:          0        1         0         1    1751963       1845.180           0
write:         0        0         0         0      78552     107618.210           0
verify:        0        0         0         0      26524          0.024           0

Non-medium error count:        0

No Self-tests have been logged

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Truenas 12-U7 | Supermicro X9DRD-7lN4F in a CSE-825TQ-R740LPBB. (2) Xeon E5-2630 64GB Ram.
Using onboard SAS2.
2 pools. Tank1: 4(8tb), ashift=12, 2 vdev mirror/stripe. Tank2: 4(4tb) 512e, ashift=12, 1 vdev Z2

I'll update Truenas tonight. I'm currently swapping disks for Tank2 which is the 4 4tb drives.

The first disk I tried to replace gave me that smart error. I swapped for another, and it went without issue.
Trying to swap the second disk so far 2 disks in a row with smart failures.

No issues with the hardware prior to this and no issue with a second system with the same hardware (Replaced 2 disk on that one so far).
All looks good to me. I'd swap cables next just to eliminate those.

Reactions: Sacrilego

Sacrilego

Jun 23, 2016
All looks good to me. I'd swap cables next just to eliminate those.
Yep, I'll give that a shot.
In the meantime, I'll also go through a full burn-in test (smart short/long tests and bad blocks) on these drives on a separate system just to be sure.

Thanks

Reactions: Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I just received a 6TB SAS 12G drive

Hope this is accurate.

New 6TB.PNG

Reactions: pgh5278 and fpm1703

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
Has anyone had any failed drives, and successfully "exchanged" with this seller? I am getting the run around and not happy about it, getting pretty pissed at this point.

I ordered 2x batches of their "Lot of 5". Turns out, these are 2017 - not 2018. Very sneaky little single mention of 2017 in the description I missed. Ok, I can live with that.

But.... They are all from exactly the same "batch", DOM of December 2017... And, 3 drives are/have failed!

Would any of you trust the remaining drives if they are all from the same batch - and 30% immediately showing issues? I wouldn't, with no warranty that is.

1 arrived completely DOA. When I plugged it into my server, it instantly KILLED my LSI SAS3 card. After several reboots and moving things around, it turns out I had to completely power off the server - and pull the power cord to power it down! - to reset the LSI card to work. I narrowed down what drive I thought was the problem, took it to another server to rest - and same thing on an LSI 9211 SAS2 card that it froze up.

2 more drives started to "disappear" under heavy "fio" reads from time to time under my stress testing. I am claiming them bad as well.

Now, this is where the story starts to go downhill.

The seller has approved me to return all 3 drives, but states that they will only start the exchange process one the drives arrive - for testing. Wtf, "testing"?

I feel they need to own up to "yeah, we sent a bunch of bad drives, and possibly more since they were of the same batch."

I do NOT want this batch at all.

Jaket

Jan 4, 2017
Seattle, New York
purevoltage.com
Has anyone had any failed drives, and successfully "exchanged" with this seller? I am getting the run around and not happy about it, getting pretty pissed at this point.

I ordered 2x batches of their "Lot of 5". Turns out, these are 2017 - not 2018. Very sneaky little single mention of 2017 in the description I missed. Ok, I can live with that.

But.... They are all from exactly the same "batch", DOM of December 2017... And, 3 drives are/have failed!

Would any of you trust the remaining drives if they are all from the same batch - and 30% immediately showing issues? I wouldn't, with no warranty that is.

1 arrived completely DOA. When I plugged it into my server, it instantly KILLED my LSI SAS3 card. After several reboots and moving things around, it turns out I had to completely power off the server - and pull the power cord to power it down! - to reset the LSI card to work. I narrowed down what drive I thought was the problem, took it to another server to rest - and same thing on an LSI 9211 SAS2 card that it froze up.

2 more drives started to "disappear" under heavy "fio" reads from time to time under my stress testing. I am claiming them bad as well.

The seller has approved me to return all 3 drives, but states that they will only start the exchange process one the drives arrive - for testing. Wtf, "testing"?

I feel they need to own up to "yeah, we sent a bunch of bad drives, and possibly more since they were of the same batch."

We have been trying for the past few months now to get the extra 56 caddies they missed in our first batch of orders. Along with a set of rails that where damaged.
Constantly run around quite disappointing as we had planned to buy another 80+ units or more if everything worked out properly.

aero

Apr 27, 2016

I only purchased 4 drives, and all 4 tested good with a destructive badblocks and smart long test.

I've never experienced an ebay seller being as stringent as you describe with the RMA process, with used hard drives. For the sake of comparison, however, Seagate also requires you to send in drives before they'll ship replacements, and they check them to see if they're really faulty. I think they offer advanced replacement, but with a cost associated.

Reactions: eduncan911

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015

Wheew, just checked mine. Some are from 2016 and some from 2018. None are from 2017. If the seller is giving you a hard time just request a return.

Reactions: eduncan911

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
I only purchased 4 drives, and all 4 tested good with a destructive badblocks and smart long test.

I've never experienced an ebay seller being as stringent as you describe with the RMA process, with used hard drives. For the sake of comparison, however, Seagate also requires you to send in drives before they'll ship replacements, and they check them to see if they're really faulty. I think they offer advanced replacement, but with a cost associated.
Yeah, I remember that in the other thread - and kind of feel back since I was the one who created that thread of the C3260 that looked awesome at that price. And there were three others with a number of issues with that server and can't get things exchanged with the seller.

Wheew, just checked mine. Some are from 2016 and some from 2018. None are from 2017. If the seller is giving you a hard time just request a return.
The "return window" closed a few days ago for me (COVID, family, etc). Don't get screwed like me guys and gals and avoid this seller.

The seller can make things right if they fix our issues via eBay by replacing and fixing things. But at this point, and the ongoing issues since March with their Customer Service, it's time to avoid this seller - unless you don't care to return anything.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com

Oh, I normally expect to send things back before an exchange. I was not asking for an up front exchange, before I send drives back.

However, my messaging to the Seller has been basically been (ad-lib, since I don't feel like looking up every quote...):

Me: "Hey, I have a DOA drive and two others starting to show issues of dropping out under head loads. Also, these are 2017, not 2018?"

Them: "Please send your order number and the serial numbers. Thank you."

Me: *Thinks* That's odd, they want me order number? Can't they just, uh, look up at the top of the eBay message they are reading?

Me: "Ok, here are the three serials I've identified. However, You sent me drives all from the same batch. That's not normally an issue, just best practices to not use the same batch in case of a bad batch; however, you sent me a batch of drives, from the same batch, that have a 30% failure rating. This is not good! I would like to replace all the drives at this point. Also, these are Dec 2017 and not 2018 drives."

^- notice, I am not asking for a refund, just to replace all drives.

Them: "These state they are 2017. Have a nice day!"

Me: *Thinks* you guys ignored the rest of my email, didn't you? */Thinks*

Them x2: "Ok, send the drive to this address."

^- nothing about printing a receipt, an RMA number, etc. All they have are serial numbers and an order number at this point. That sounds, kind of fishy. I mean, how are they going to link my 3 drives to my order - among all the other returns?

Me: "Look, I ordered a batch of drives. The batch received has an unacceptable high failure rate of 30%. I would like to exchange all drives at this point, not just the 3."

*crickets* since I posted this message... I think, they are watching... :)

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Yeah, I remember that in the other thread - and kind of feel back since I was the one who created that thread of the C3260 that looked awesome at that price. And there were three others with a number of issues with that server and can't get things exchanged with the seller.

The "return window" closed a few days ago for me (COVID, family, etc). Don't get screwed like me guys and gals and avoid this seller.

The seller can make things right if they fix our issues via eBay by replacing and fixing things. But at this point, and the ongoing issues since March with their Customer Service, it's time to avoid this seller - unless you don't care to return anything.
I think with most sellers, once they get your money AND the return windows has closed, they consider it a done deal. Best way to proceed is to be nice to him and hope for the best.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
I think with most sellers, once they get your money AND the return windows has closed, they consider it a done deal. Best way to proceed is to be nice to him and hope for the best.
Ah, but there's the Charge Back route option, for up to 9 months past the charge. (My payments all come from my CC, not a bank account)

I have only had to do that once with a seller, about 12 years ago (2010), as it was past the "return window" of eBay.

EDIT: But yes, I'm trying to be kind, but it's infuriating when they said things like, "sorry, you are past the 30 days warranty period for the other drives." since I originally requested the 3 drives BEFORE the 30 days was up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Ah, but there's the Charge Back route option, for up to 9 months past the charge. (My payments all come from my CC, not a bank account)

I have only had to do that once with a seller, about 12 years ago (2010), as it was past the "return window" of eBay.

EDIT: But yes, I'm trying to be kind, but it's infuriating when they said things like, "sorry, you are past the 30 days warranty period for the other drives." since I originally requested the 3 drives BEFORE the 30 days was up.
Good luck. Hope it's settled to your satisfaction.