[Update: Seller Complaints Accumulating] HGST Ultrastar He10 - 10TB @ $129.95

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
Has anyone had any failed drives, and successfully "exchanged" with this seller? I am getting the run around and not happy about it, getting pretty pissed at this point.

I ordered 2x batches of their "Lot of 5". Turns out, these are 2017 - not 2018. Very sneaky little single mention of 2017 in the description I missed. Ok, I can live with that.

But.... They are all from exactly the same "batch", DOM of December 2017... And, 3 drives are/have failed!

Would any of you trust the remaining drives if they are all from the same batch - and 30% immediately showing issues? I wouldn't, with no warranty that is.

1 arrived completely DOA. When I plugged it into my server, it instantly KILLED my LSI SAS3 card. After several reboots and moving things around, it turns out I had to completely power off the server - and pull the power cord to power it down! - to reset the LSI card to work. I narrowed down what drive I thought was the problem, took it to another server to rest - and same thing on an LSI 9211 SAS2 card that it froze up.

2 more drives started to "disappear" under heavy "fio" reads from time to time under my stress testing. I am claiming them bad as well.

Now, this is where the story starts to go downhill.

The seller has approved me to return all 3 drives, but states that they will only start the exchange process one the drives arrive - for testing. Wtf, "testing"?

I feel they need to own up to "yeah, we sent a bunch of bad drives, and possibly more since they were of the same batch."

I do NOT want this batch at all.

Reactions: Samir

Jaket

Jan 4, 2017
Seattle, New York
purevoltage.com
Has anyone had any failed drives, and successfully "exchanged" with this seller? I am getting the run around and not happy about it, getting pretty pissed at this point.

I ordered 2x batches of their "Lot of 5". Turns out, these are 2017 - not 2018. Very sneaky little single mention of 2017 in the description I missed. Ok, I can live with that.

But.... They are all from exactly the same "batch", DOM of December 2017... And, 3 drives are/have failed!

Would any of you trust the remaining drives if they are all from the same batch - and 30% immediately showing issues? I wouldn't, with no warranty that is.

1 arrived completely DOA. When I plugged it into my server, it instantly KILLED my LSI SAS3 card. After several reboots and moving things around, it turns out I had to completely power off the server - and pull the power cord to power it down! - to reset the LSI card to work. I narrowed down what drive I thought was the problem, took it to another server to rest - and same thing on an LSI 9211 SAS2 card that it froze up.

2 more drives started to "disappear" under heavy "fio" reads from time to time under my stress testing. I am claiming them bad as well.

The seller has approved me to return all 3 drives, but states that they will only start the exchange process one the drives arrive - for testing. Wtf, "testing"?

I feel they need to own up to "yeah, we sent a bunch of bad drives, and possibly more since they were of the same batch."

We have been trying for the past few months now to get the extra 56 caddies they missed in our first batch of orders. Along with a set of rails that where damaged.
Constantly run around quite disappointing as we had planned to buy another 80+ units or more if everything worked out properly.

aero

Apr 27, 2016

I only purchased 4 drives, and all 4 tested good with a destructive badblocks and smart long test.

I've never experienced an ebay seller being as stringent as you describe with the RMA process, with used hard drives. For the sake of comparison, however, Seagate also requires you to send in drives before they'll ship replacements, and they check them to see if they're really faulty. I think they offer advanced replacement, but with a cost associated.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015

Wheew, just checked mine. Some are from 2016 and some from 2018. None are from 2017. If the seller is giving you a hard time just request a return.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
I only purchased 4 drives, and all 4 tested good with a destructive badblocks and smart long test.

I've never experienced an ebay seller being as stringent as you describe with the RMA process, with used hard drives. For the sake of comparison, however, Seagate also requires you to send in drives before they'll ship replacements, and they check them to see if they're really faulty. I think they offer advanced replacement, but with a cost associated.
Yeah, I remember that in the other thread - and kind of feel back since I was the one who created that thread of the C3260 that looked awesome at that price. And there were three others with a number of issues with that server and can't get things exchanged with the seller.

Wheew, just checked mine. Some are from 2016 and some from 2018. None are from 2017. If the seller is giving you a hard time just request a return.
The "return window" closed a few days ago for me (COVID, family, etc). Don't get screwed like me guys and gals and avoid this seller.

The seller can make things right if they fix our issues via eBay by replacing and fixing things. But at this point, and the ongoing issues since March with their Customer Service, it's time to avoid this seller - unless you don't care to return anything.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com

Oh, I normally expect to send things back before an exchange. I was not asking for an up front exchange, before I send drives back.

However, my messaging to the Seller has been basically been (ad-lib, since I don't feel like looking up every quote...):

Me: "Hey, I have a DOA drive and two others starting to show issues of dropping out under head loads. Also, these are 2017, not 2018?"

Them: "Please send your order number and the serial numbers. Thank you."

Me: *Thinks* That's odd, they want me order number? Can't they just, uh, look up at the top of the eBay message they are reading?

Me: "Ok, here are the three serials I've identified. However, You sent me drives all from the same batch. That's not normally an issue, just best practices to not use the same batch in case of a bad batch; however, you sent me a batch of drives, from the same batch, that have a 30% failure rating. This is not good! I would like to replace all the drives at this point. Also, these are Dec 2017 and not 2018 drives."

^- notice, I am not asking for a refund, just to replace all drives.

Them: "These state they are 2017. Have a nice day!"

Me: *Thinks* you guys ignored the rest of my email, didn't you? */Thinks*

Them x2: "Ok, send the drive to this address."

^- nothing about printing a receipt, an RMA number, etc. All they have are serial numbers and an order number at this point. That sounds, kind of fishy. I mean, how are they going to link my 3 drives to my order - among all the other returns?

Me: "Look, I ordered a batch of drives. The batch received has an unacceptable high failure rate of 30%. I would like to exchange all drives at this point, not just the 3."

*crickets* since I posted this message... I think, they are watching... :)

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Yeah, I remember that in the other thread - and kind of feel back since I was the one who created that thread of the C3260 that looked awesome at that price. And there were three others with a number of issues with that server and can't get things exchanged with the seller.

The "return window" closed a few days ago for me (COVID, family, etc). Don't get screwed like me guys and gals and avoid this seller.

The seller can make things right if they fix our issues via eBay by replacing and fixing things. But at this point, and the ongoing issues since March with their Customer Service, it's time to avoid this seller - unless you don't care to return anything.
I think with most sellers, once they get your money AND the return windows has closed, they consider it a done deal. Best way to proceed is to be nice to him and hope for the best.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
I think with most sellers, once they get your money AND the return windows has closed, they consider it a done deal. Best way to proceed is to be nice to him and hope for the best.
Ah, but there's the Charge Back route option, for up to 9 months past the charge. (My payments all come from my CC, not a bank account)

I have only had to do that once with a seller, about 12 years ago (2010), as it was past the "return window" of eBay.

EDIT: But yes, I'm trying to be kind, but it's infuriating when they said things like, "sorry, you are past the 30 days warranty period for the other drives." since I originally requested the 3 drives BEFORE the 30 days was up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir and Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Ah, but there's the Charge Back route option, for up to 9 months past the charge. (My payments all come from my CC, not a bank account)

I have only had to do that once with a seller, about 12 years ago (2010), as it was past the "return window" of eBay.

EDIT: But yes, I'm trying to be kind, but it's infuriating when they said things like, "sorry, you are past the 30 days warranty period for the other drives." since I originally requested the 3 drives BEFORE the 30 days was up.
Good luck. Hope it's settled to your satisfaction.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
Oh my... Read this reply I just got from the eBay seller...

I haven't left out a single thing. I have no idea what they are talking about.

And btw, "I" was the one who linked them to this thread showing many other issues (that they said no one else is reporting issues).

And this is their response... They want to invoice ME for their warranty exchange of 3 bad drives, because of a bad review and then feeling "different" now.

"I have altered the deal. Pray I don't alter it further." Holding the returned drives for a ransom now.

I dont care what their quick testing shows. One drive kills my entire HBA when plugged in, and the other two fail after stress testing for a few days - dropping in and out.

---
Hope all is well ,

After going thru all the testing the drives passed our quick test

And we are going through the next steps to fulfill your exchange .
However after we see the "review" you have given and provided and cutting out details on the forums you have posted

We feel very indifferent to this experience please send your paypal so that we may send an invoice for the shipping label for the drives

so we may end this issue
Kindest Regards

Your previous message

Please provide an update/tracking number asap.

They were delivered 1 week ago.

Last edited:

Jaket

Jan 4, 2017
Seattle, New York
purevoltage.com
Oh my... Read this reply I just got from the eBay seller...

I haven't left out a single thing. I have no idea what they are talking about.

And btw, "I" was the one who linked them to this thread showing many other issues (that they said no one else is reporting issues).

And this is their response... They want to invoice ME for their warranty exchange of 3 bad drives.

"I have altered the deal. Pray I don't alter it further." Holding the returned drives for a ransom now.

I dont care what their testing shows. One drive kills my entire HBA when plugged in, and the other two fail after stress testing for a few days - dropping in and out.

---
Hope all is well ,

After going thru all the testing the drives passed our quick test

And we are going through the next steps to fulfill your exchange .
However after we see the "review" you have given and provided and cutting out details on the forums you have posted

We feel very indifferent to this experience please send your paypal so that we may send an invoice for the shipping label for the drives

so we may end this issue
Kindest Regards

Your previous message

Please provide an update/tracking number asap.

They were delivered 1 week ago.
Well at least you are getting a reply.
They have ghosted us on email multiple times.
Kind of sad as we had plans on picking up a row of 14 racks worth of these for our data center.
They failed to provide a whole unit with caddies and haven't refunded or provided them.

Madhelp

Feb 7, 2013
Yeah I had a similar experience with this seller. I ordered 87 drives. A couple of drives I had issues with right from the jump and because it was within the return window the return process was very straight forward.

Then I had two drives fail smart tests 4-5 months after purchase. Like others have stated, I went back and forth with them for weeks and they tried to get out of honoring the one year warranty that was in the description at the time of purchase. I stayed persistent and eventually they relented and accepted the bad drives and sent me replacements. It was definitely a horrible experience but I will admit my expectations were low about them covering the drives for a year or any eBay reseller for that matter.

With that said, overall I like the drives and they have been running well.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
Got my 3 drive replacements. Running them through tests now.

Two of the original drives have now reported errors writing to a specific sector (same sector, over and over). fio to the rescue here to identify what I thought: I got (at least) 5x drives of a bad batch (the same batch).

Yeah, I really got screwed with the entire batch of 10x drives (I am not going to trust any of these now), and the seller refuses to honor the original request for a different lot - as I now have a 50% failure rate of the original 10x sent.

@ArthurA Can you update the original post, so others won't get screwed?

You can see over the last 5 or 6 or so pages, and in my other thread for a server they are offering, that this seller cannot be trusted. Far too many orders are fracked up and their CS just ignoring those issues. And far too many CS complaints of ghosting, ignoring people, changing he-said-she-said, "send them back for us to test first" requirement under warranty, etc. And actually changing the terms AFTER they read their own bad reviews posted here of many of us complaining (my favorite - I've never been demanded to pay twice for shipping, both ways - they waited to get my drives, and then demand payment for them to send them back?!?).

They may show good deals; however, we are rolling the dice buying anything from this vendor:

deals2day-364

Last edited:

VaultedGopher

Oct 8, 2022
When i receive my second hand SAS drives i know i'll be pissed off if i'm not gonna be able to check the helium levels on them.

Regarding the mechanics once more, no HDD manufacturer makes physically separate SAS drives anymore, there is no point.

You can't make them faster by spinning them at 10k rpm, and you can't make them more reliable etc.. If you look at the HGST he8, he10 and he12 spec sheets you see arrows to the left pointing to the SATA versions on all parameters except formatting, interface and power attributes. Because they are the same.

https://documents.westerndigital.co...astar-sas-series/data-sheet-ultrastar-he8.pdf

https://documents.westerndigital.co...c500-series/data-sheet-ultrastar-dc-hc510.pdf

https://documents.westerndigital.co...c500-series/data-sheet-ultrastar-dc-hc520.pdf

nothing but arrows to the left.
For some reason this struck me as odd, so I swapped the controllers between the sas and sata He8's on my desk, and they spin up, report to smartctl (verypermissive) but throw heaps of errors and don't populate under HUGO (but do at least announce themselves with sdparm/hdparm/smartctl.

Is there a way to swap the controllers properly with full functionality that doesn't require messing with ROM?