Tyan S8030GM2NE

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

malloot

Oct 24, 2013
ok you have a problem !
PSP = Platform Security Processor
your BIOS is corrupt or you have vendor locked CPU
Thanks, yeah I thought so as well, I have tried multiple processors that work in Supermicro and Asus machines so I doubt they are vendor locked. The cmos battery tray got damaged in shipping so the bios being corrupt might actually make sense. Thanks I'll return the motherboard.

Reactions: RolloZ170

mtg

Feb 12, 2019
Can you share the exact readings after input 0x2e 0x05 0xfd 0x19 0x00 0x03 0xfe?
I'm having a little trouble reading the results my Tyan gets after using this command, I guess the last digit is the result, but it's not the same as what I set.

root@truenas[~]# ipmitool raw 0x2e 0x5 0xfd 0x19 0x00 0x01 0xfe
fd 19 00 81
root@truenas[~]# ipmitool raw 0x2e 0x5 0xfd 0x19 0x00 0x01 0x3C
fd 19 00
fd 19 00 bc
root@truenas[~]# ipmitool raw 0x2e 0x5 0xfd 0x19 0x00 0x01 0x1C
fd 19 00
fd 19 00 9c
Hmm on BMC 4.10, Bios 4.01, I get an error trying these raw commands now even:
$: sudo ipmitool raw 0x2e 0x5 0xfd 0x19 0x00 0x01 0xfe
Unable to send RAW command (channel=0x0 netfn=0x2e lun=0x0 cmd=0x5 rsp=0xc7): Request data length invalid

bateman

May 2, 2023
Sweden
Hi,
Just got this board, trying to get into bios but seems like usb keyboard is not working. Blinks once during POST.
Got into redfish tho. Also tried booting unraid from a USB but no go. Any ideas?

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
Hi,
Just got this board, trying to get into bios but seems like usb keyboard is not working. Blinks once during POST.
Got into redfish tho. Also tried booting unraid from a USB but no go. Any ideas?
Can you get into IPMI ?

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
Yes, I get into IPMI and got into the redfish BIOS. Looked through all the settings but didn’t see anything specific about USB being disabled.
Which USB ports are you connecting to? The rear USB ones? These are driven directly by the SOC.

BIOS -> Boot -> Boot Configuration
Setup Prompt Timeout- set to a large number like 5 or 10 seconds
Quiet Boot - set to disabled
Wait for ESC - set to disabled

BIOS -> Advanced -> USB Configuration
Legacy USB Support - should be enabled
XHCI Hand-Off - should be enabled
Port 60/64 Emulation - should be enabled

BIOS -> Advanced -> Compatibility Support Module Config
CSM Support - Enabled

BIOS -> Advanced -> Option ROM Execution
Other PCI Devices - Should be set to Legacy

Have you tried with the front USB connectors ? Also try using a USB 2.0 hub to connect the keyboard. And make sure the USB port isn't damaged or is otherwise functional (i.e does a USB stick attached to the port boot?) If the rear USB isnt working, it is either the port itself or then it's the SOC (could be anything, part of the case touching the motherboard, damaged CPU socket etc)

bateman

May 2, 2023
Sweden
Which USB ports are you connecting to? The rear USB ones? These are driven directly by the SOC.

BIOS -> Boot -> Boot Configuration
Setup Prompt Timeout- set to a large number like 5 or 10 seconds
Quiet Boot - set to disabled
Wait for ESC - set to disabled

BIOS -> Advanced -> USB Configuration
Legacy USB Support - should be enabled
XHCI Hand-Off - should be enabled
Port 60/64 Emulation - should be enabled

BIOS -> Advanced -> Compatibility Support Module Config
CSM Support - Enabled

BIOS -> Advanced -> Option ROM Execution
Other PCI Devices - Should be set to Legacy

Have you tried with the front USB connectors ? Also try using a USB 2.0 hub to connect the keyboard. And make sure the USB port isn't damaged or is otherwise functional (i.e does a USB stick attached to the port boot?) If the rear USB isnt working, it is either the port itself or then it's the SOC (could be anything, part of the case touching the motherboard, damaged CPU socket etc)
Thanks for the reply,
All those settings are set, I can plug a hub in and it lights up both in the front and back USB ports.
Keyboard lights up briefly during POST but gets shut off after USB initialization.
Nothing plugged in but a usb, keyboard and screen. Sceen loops "System initialization..." and boot code DEAD AD00 0000 CCCC.

Tried updating BIOS firmware, currently says its V3.00 from March 2020. I tried with the S8030GM2NE_bios_v402 rom but it changes nothing.
Re-seated the board in the case but no change. I think I'll try it outside the case and see if it changes anything.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
Sceen loops "System initialization..." and boot code DEAD AD00 0000 CCCC.
Have never seen that code before - POST code AD is 'ready to boot' but never seen DE AD. Care to post pics of the screen ?

bateman

May 2, 2023
Sweden
Have never seen that code before - POST code AD is 'ready to boot' but never seen DE AD. Care to post pics of the screen ?
I had to order a new cable since I didnt have a the extra EPS cable for my evga PSU. Ill try another PSU next since taking the board out of the case didn't work.

Heres how it looks

EDIT:
Got it running with only 4 ram sticks and a sata device connected. Unsure why. Probably something with the memory.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: hmw

mtg

Feb 12, 2019
I had to order a new cable since I didnt have a the extra EPS cable for my evga PSU. Ill try another PSU next since taking the board out of the case didn't work.

Heres how it looks

EDIT:
Got it running with only 4 ram sticks and a sata device connected. Unsure why. Probably something with the memory.
I had a similar issue with my board, though a different post code - BAAD - taking some memory out helped. Turns out it was because even though I thought I looked, I missed two standoffs that shorted the top memory slot and would have shorted the 10GB chip if I had a board with one. Removing these and the board is happy with all slots filled now.

Reactions: hmw

autoturk

Sep 1, 2022
Thought I'd join the S8030 crew. Just got the -2t variant and installed a 7702p. My first experience with an epyc CPU.

Idles at around 45-50 watts as measured by my kill-a-watt with all 8 dimms populated and one m.2 drive on my desk bench (ie. no other fans except CPU). Pretty wild!

EDIT: the 45-50 watt figure is w/ `EfficiencyModeEn` enabled. Keeping it disabled leads to idle power closer to 100 watts.

Last edited:
Reactions: vvkvvk and hmw

autoturk

Sep 1, 2022
Enabling Remote BIOS

Remember the BIOS page the Tyan IPMI interface has?

View attachment 20427

Does your BIOS look like this even after using the default credentials Administrator/superuser ?

View attachment 20426

Don't worry - it's because the Redfish API the BIOS page depends on getting the default password changed (probably because of CA law SB-327 and that's probably why Dell can show remote BIOS screens). All you need is curl / Python / Postman or anything that can send and receive web requests to the Redfish API

Step 1: We need to get the etag value from the server Redfish API (we will use it in the request header later)
Code:
curl -k \
     --request GET 'https://192.168.0.10/redfish/v1/'
Gives us
Code:
{
  "@odata.context":"/redfish/v1/$metadata#ServiceRoot.ServiceRoot",
  "@odata.etag":"W/\"<some_number>\"",
  "@odata.id":"/redfish/v1/",
  "@odata.type":"#ServiceRoot.v1_4_0.ServiceRoot
}
Step 2: In the result above, note down the value for the etag W/"<some_number>" without the <> of course. Now remember the default Administrator:superuser username and password? We will pass it to the Redfish API and see what the problem is.
Code:
curl -k -u 'Administrator:superuser' \
        --request GET 'https://192.168.0.10/redfish/v1/AccountService/Accounts/1' \
        --header 'If-Match: W/"<some_number>"'
Gives us
Code:
{
    "error":
    {
        "@Message.ExtendedInfo":
        [
            {
                "@odata.type": "#Message.v1_0_5.Message",
                "Message": "The password provided for this account must be changed before access is granted.  PATCH the 'Password' property for this account located at the target URI '/redfish/v1/AccountService/Accounts/1' to complete this process.",
                "MessageArgs":
                [
                    "/redfish/v1/AccountService/Accounts/1"
                ],
                "MessageId": "Base.1.0.0.PasswordChangeRequired",
                "RelatedProperties":
                [],
                "Resolution": "Change the password for this account using a PATCH to the 'Password' property at the URI provided.",
                "Severity": "Critical"
            }
        ],
        "code": "Base.1.0.0.PasswordChangeRequired",
        "message": "The password provided for this account must be changed before access is granted.  PATCH the 'Password' property for this account located at the target URI '/redfish/v1/AccountService/Accounts/1' to complete this process."
    }
}
Step 3: So now let's use curl to change the default Redfish account username and password to <new_user> and <new_passwd> (Substitute accordingly)
Code:
Thanks for this -- I reset the password (confirmed that it's working by running the 
curl -k -u 'Administrator:superuser' \
        --request PATCH 'https://192.168.0.10/redfish/v1/AccountService/Accounts/1' \
        --header 'If-Match: W/"<some_number>"' \
        --header 'Content-Type: application/json' \
        --data-raw '{"UserName":"<new_user>", "Password":"<new_passwd>" }'
This should give a HTTP 204 (no content) - but I actually got an error message, the command still worked though. Now when you use the BIOS link to login and use your new username and password, you should be able to see the BIOS settings and even change them

View attachment 20428

Hope this helps ...
thanks for this. Having a small problem. I reset the password, and confirmed it works by rerunning the second step with the new credentials. However when I go to the page and enter in my credentials, I still see a blank page. The browser console shows a 404 on `https://10.0.1.193/redfish/v1/Systems/Self/Bios`. Any ideas? I'm in Bios 2.0.2 and BMC firmware 3.0.0

autoturk

Sep 1, 2022
another question: what is the SD card for? it's linked to the BMC, so is it just for logging or something?