Tyan S8030GM2NE

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
For everyone who is also looking for this. After ~11 days I finally received the answer from Tyan support:
---- 8<--- snip ----
Awesome work dante4 ! That is really good info ! I am going to add that to the first post ...

rigel.local

Feb 17, 2023
Hi, does anyone know how to turn on this motherboard without a case and without a VGA monitor? I connected all the power cables, installed the CPU cooler and inserted RAM sticks, connected SATA drives and LAN cable to management port. When I turn on PSU, the CPU cooler fans start spinning, the BMC led and PSU ok led are blinking. I try to navigate to this new device in my network with IP 10.10.23.6 but it does not load.

Later I found a PWR_BTN and RST_BTN buttons right on the motherboard (there is no any information about this button in the manual), I clicked them, it looked like it rebooted, but still I cannot navigate to its IPMI website, it just does not load.

Sorry for above panic post. It is the first time I'm using a motherboard with BMC/IPMI and connecting to management software. The IP address of the BMC on motherboard was manually defined and I was on a wrong subnet in local network and could not connect. After some changes in my router I was able to connect to the motherboard's BMC. HTML5 KVM is working and I do not need a VGA monitor. That is good news since all my monitors are HDMI.

Last edited:

rigel.local

Feb 17, 2023
I have a question about SD card slot on this motherboard. Is it possible to use it as a bootable device where I could copy some OS iso file and then install from there to my SATA drives connected? If yes, what filesystem should be used on this SD card? I tried to do this but the BIOS does not detect it as a bootable device.

Last edited:

rigel.local

Feb 17, 2023
Can someone suggest please should I bother updating BMC and BIOS to most recent possible versions if my AMD EPYC 7532 CPU is identified and works? It looks like I have some very early versions of BMC and BIOS and I'm afraid that there could be some important security updates in recent versions. However, I'm also worried that if I manage to update to some recent versions of BMC and BIOS then I will break things and my AMD EPYC 7532 Rome model CPU will not work.

My BMC information:

Active Firmware

Build Date
Feb 25 2020

Build Time
15:00:02 CST

Firmware version

My BIOS information:

BIOS Firmware

BIOS version
V1.00

Build Date
03/05/2020 15:31:05

codgician

Dec 14, 2022
La La Land
Can someone suggest please should I bother updating BMC and BIOS to most recent possible versions if my AMD EPYC 7532 CPU is identified and works? It looks like I have some very early versions of BMC and BIOS and I'm afraid that there could be some important security updates in recent versions. However, I'm also worried that if I manage to update to some recent versions of BMC and BIOS then I will break things and my AMD EPYC 7532 Rome model CPU will not work.

My BMC information:

Active Firmware

Build Date
Feb 25 2020

Build Time
15:00:02 CST

Firmware version

My BIOS information:

BIOS Firmware

BIOS version
V1.00

Build Date
03/05/2020 15:31:05
Just don't upgrade to BMC v4.x unless you are sure you are having a 64MB BMC chip.

Upgrading BIOS is generally safe. Even if you mess up you can always reflash as long as BMC is not dead. And this board does not have secure bios, which means you can freely downgrade or even mod the BIOS image.

rigel.local

Feb 17, 2023
Just don't upgrade to BMC v4.x unless you are sure you are having a 64MB BMC chip.

Upgrading BIOS is generally safe. Even if you mess up you can always reflash as long as BMC is not dead. And this board does not have secure bios, which means you can freely downgrade or even mod the BIOS image.
I just tried to upgrade BMC to v3.00 using file S8030-BMC_v300.zip from the IPMI web interface > Maintenance > Firmware Update > Flash BMC Firmware and it successfully completed the process but did not actually update anything. I still see that my BMC is v1.00

Does anyone know what could be the problem?

Also, for my motherboard S8030GM4NE-2T the latest BIOS version available is V2.02 with file S8030GM4NE_2T-bios_v202.zip. I updated it via Maintenance > Firmware Update > Flash BIOS Firmware

Same thing happens, IPMI web interface still reports I have BIOS V1.00

The worst thing is that after a restart the system just does not boot, I see a black screen and "No Signal" message in HTML5 KVM.

Update: I downgraded back to BIOS V1.00, but the system still does not boot.

Last edited:

rigel.local

Feb 17, 2023
Ok, the BIOS and BMC firmware saga continues. Does anyone know how to reset BMC to factory settings without access to IPMI/BMC web interface?

After attempting to update BMC firmware it asked me to change the password again. So I entered a new password twice that looks like this "passWord<3word".the message said "the password successfully updated", but then during login it just does not work "Login Failed". Trying to use "I forgot my password link" outputs "Email ID is not configured for the User".

Do I have a bricked motherboard or is there a way to factory reset BMC firmware using some jumpers on the motherboard?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
After attempting to update BMC firmware it asked me to change the password again. So I entered a new password twice that looks like this "passWord<3word".the message said "the password successfully updated", but then during login it just does not work "Login Failed". Trying to use "I forgot my password link" outputs "Email ID is not configured for the User".
have you entered a very long password ? in some systems the pw is max xx chars long. try to enter only the first 15 or 16 letters...

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
If upgrade BMC from old version RR11.5 code base to v4.07 V12 code base, it could only use socflash for update due to different code size. After BMC is upgraded to above v4.xx version, all socflash/yafuflash/WEB works.

Important!
The BMC firmware v4.07 requires 64MB BMC chip. Deploying BMC firmware v4.07 to earlier S8030 with 32MB BMC chip shall cause permanent system failure and the system cannot be revived in the field.

codgician

Dec 14, 2022
La La Land
I just tried to upgrade BMC to v3.00 using file S8030-BMC_v300.zip from the IPMI web interface > Maintenance > Firmware Update > Flash BMC Firmware and it successfully completed the process but did not actually update anything. I still see that my BMC is v1.00

Does anyone know what could be the problem?

Also, for my motherboard S8030GM4NE-2T the latest BIOS version available is V2.02 with file S8030GM4NE_2T-bios_v202.zip. I updated it via Maintenance > Firmware Update > Flash BIOS Firmware

Same thing happens, IPMI web interface still reports I have BIOS V1.00

The worst thing is that after a restart the system just does not boot, I see a black screen and "No Signal" message in HTML5 KVM.

Update: I downgraded back to BIOS V1.00, but the system still does not boot.
You should not be uploading the zip file in BMC. You should unzip the BIOS zip and only upload the .ROM file. One drawback of not having secure BIOS is that the BIOS flash in BMC will not do any validation on the file you've uploaded. If you upload the zip it will flash using the zip with successful result but you won't be able to boot.

The BIOS version in BMC will only be updated after the updated BIOS has been successfully booted for once.

Reactions: rigel.local

rigel.local

Feb 17, 2023
You should not be uploading the zip file in BMC. You should unzip the BIOS zip and only upload the .ROM file. One drawback of not having secure BIOS is that the BIOS flash in BMC will not do any validation on the file you've uploaded. If you upload the zip it will flash using the zip with successful result but you won't be able to boot.

The BIOS version in BMC will only be updated after the updated BIOS has been successfully booted for once.
o_O:p oops! That is crazy. Thank you so much for the this critical instruction.

What about BMC firmware flash? I cannot find any .ROM file if I unzip BMC firmware zip file.

Last edited:

rigel.local

Feb 17, 2023
Does anyone know how to connect these case wires to the S8030GM4NE-2T motherboard?

For example on the manual I have these seemingly power button related pins:
FP_PW_LED_PW
FP_PW_LED_GND
FP_PWR_BTN_L

and on my case wires I have:
POWER SW (yellow cable)
POWER SW (purple cable)
POWER LED+ (orange cable)
POWER LED- (grey cable)
PWR Fail+ (brown cable)
PWR Fail- (black cable)

Similarly for NIC LEDs on motherboard I have:
LAN0_LED_P
LAN0_LED_L
LAN1_LED_P
LAN1_LED_L

and on case wires I have:
NIC 1LED (green cable)
NIC 1LED (blue cable)
NIC 2LED (red cable)
NIC 2LED (white cable)

What do all these endings even mean? _P , _L , _PW , _PWR , _DAT , _CLK

screenshot-2023-05-18-15-07-26@2x.png

jpeg-optimizer_IMG_3550.jpeg

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
POWER SW (yellow cable) = FP_PWR_BTN_L (11)
POWER SW (purple cable) = GND (13)

POWER LED+ (orange cable) = FP_PWR_LED_PW (1)
POWER LED- (grey cable) = FP_PW_LED_GND (5)

_P positive
_L low
_PW power
_PWR power
_DAT SMBus data (I2C)
_CLK SMBus clock (I2C)

Reactions: rigel.local and hmw

rigel.local

Feb 17, 2023
POWER SW (yellow cable) = FP_PWR_BTN_L (11)
POWER SW (purple cable) = GND (13)

POWER LED+ (orange cable) = FP_PWR_LED_PW (1)
POWER LED- (grey cable) = FP_PW_LED_GND (5)

_P positive
_L low
_PW power
_PWR power
_DAT SMBus data (I2C)
_CLK SMBus clock (I2C)
Thank you so much!!! How do you know all this? Is there any dictionary in some manual? Do you have any idea about NIC LEDs wires? Should I connect LAN0_LED_P to NIC 1LED and LAN0_LED_L to NIC 1LED (blue cable)?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Do you have any idea about NIC LEDs wires? Should I connect LAN0_LED_P to NIC 1LED and LAN0_LED_L to NIC 1LED (blue cable)?
LAN0_LED_P
LAN0_LED_L
you have no polarity on your panel cables, you have 50/50 chance. LED are diodes, nothing can be broken.
your panel can have two bidirectional LEDs inside, so the polarity doesn't matter, try it !

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
Thank you so much!!! How do you know all this? Is there any dictionary in some manual? Do you have any idea about NIC LEDs wires? Should I connect LAN0_LED_P to NIC 1LED and LAN0_LED_L to NIC 1LED (blue cable)?
Read a basic book on electronics - something that tells you about LEDs and Anode/Cathode and also a book or web pages on electrical circuits, especially talking about color codes (e.g. Where Do I Start? - SparkFun Learn)

Most switches such as RST/RESET or PWR - will make momentary contact and will not have polarity ( + or - ) - these therefore don't care about how you connect them

LEDs have polarity and are connect as follows The LED positive terminal or + is the Anode is always connected to a + or positive power source. And the LED negative terminal or - or Cathode is always connected to negative polarity / ground / GND.

As fas as wire color codes go - white and green are often used to represent GND or the negative terminal. Blue and red often indicate live or + / positive terminals

NIC1 LED Green => LAN0_LED_L
NIC1 LED Blue => LAN0_LED_P