Tyan S8030GM2NE

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Unfortunately it still doesn't work..
what doesn't work?
you can not turn the board on with CPU&RAM ?

with default setting the FPGA(CPU control) waits for BMC to be ready, you can not turn on the board before.
J43: Bypass BMC Jumper

Last edited:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
J101: ID Button Switch
Pin 1-2 Closed: Press 5 seconds for BMC HW Reset

I think after this the BMC MAC stopped showing up in router and the BMC LED became solid.
J101 back to default ?
want to know things this HW reset does other than a AC power cycle.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I did try to reset BMC at one point.
I changed J101 and long pressed the ID button.

J101: ID Button Switch
Pin 1-2 Closed: Press 5 seconds for BMC HW Reset
we know that already. if the BMC does some init. in flash this takes some time, if you interupt that you can brick the board
same for set to factory in BMCWegGUI, if you get a msg "action done" don't touch the system for at least 5 mintues,
some flash writes are done in background and or after reboot.

adam2eden

Oct 18, 2013
what doesn't work?
you can not turn the board on with CPU&RAM ?

with default setting the FPGA(CPU control) waits for BMC to be ready, you can not turn on the board before.
J43: Bypass BMC Jumper
we know that already. if the BMC does some init. in flash this takes some time, if you interupt that you can brick the board
same for set to factory in BMCWegGUI, if you get a msg "action done" don't touch the system for at least 5 mintues,
some flash writes are done in background and or after reboot.
- I can not turn the board on with CPU & RAM after setting J43. No fan, no VGA signal, no sound...
- J101 is back to default
- I remember before it does take some time before BMC LED starts flashing...

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
- J101 is back to default
- I remember before it does take some time before BMC LED starts flashing...
BMC init phase takes some time, normal flashing starts after some seconds.
Unit ID switch is free ? it can stuck pressed sometimes.

MartB

Oct 18, 2023
martb.dev
You could attach an UART Adapter to the BMC Debug port and see if it boots up, but only use this as last resort if the seller can't help. I don't think the board is dead, it's most likely the BMC that is corrupted.

adam2eden

Oct 18, 2013
You could attach an UART Adapter to the BMC Debug port and see if it boots up, but only use this as last resort if the seller can't help. I don't think the board is dead, it's most likely the BMC that is corrupted.
Never did this before. Do I connect a computer to COM1 (under VGA) on the board using the cable below and use the IPMI tool? Can I do this without any setup in BIOS?

MartB

Oct 18, 2023
martb.dev
Never did this before. Do I connect a computer to COM1 (under VGA) on the board using the cable below and use the IPMI tool? Can I do this without any setup in BIOS?
I don't think this is the same as the internal debug BMC header but it can't hurt to test this port too, feel free to try. But I was talking about the internal 4 pin header. If you need help with that I can provide some details.

adam2eden

Oct 18, 2013
I don't think this is the same as the internal debug BMC header but it can't hurt to test this port too, feel free to try. But I was talking about the internal 4 pin header. If you need help with that I can provide some details.
Is this the 4 pin header?
I am new to this and would really appreciate if you can help with more details. Thanks.

IMG_1735.jpg

nickwalt

Oct 4, 2023
Brisbane
Hi everyone, I am looking to put together an Epyc desktop PC to replace my Ryzen 3600 that is currently running on an mITX motherboard. I am looking at Epyc instead of Threadripper because of the value proposition of Epyc Rome. My intention is to run Windows 10 Pro on the Epyc with VMware Workstation 17.5 as the primary workload, and some light gaming with Battlefield 3 (released in 2011) likely while all the VMs are running.

I have an AMD RX 5700 XT (running 1 x 4K and 3 x 1440p monitors) that runs flawlessly on the Ryzen but it seems that server class motherboards are not likely going to support it which brings me to the main question - how well does the S8030GM2NE support AMD GPUs?

Because this is a desktop PC I will likely use add-in Cards for USB 3.2 Gen 2, USB 4, Thunderbolt and 10G SFP+ DAC/RJ45/SMOF transceivers as well as maybe a card for audio.

Thanks.

Last edited:

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
Hi everyone, I am looking to put together an Epyc desktop PC to replace my Ryzen 3600 that is currently running on an mITX motherboard. I am looking at Epyc instead of Threadripper because of the value proposition of Epyc Rome. My intention is to run Windows 10 Pro on the Epyc with VMware Workstation 17.5 as the primary workload, and some light gaming with Battlefield 3 (released in 2011) likely while all the VMs are running.

I have an AMD RX 5700 XT (running 1 x 4K and 3 x 1440p monitors) that runs flawlessly on the Ryzen but it seems that server class motherboards are not likely going to support it which brings me to the main question - how well does the S8030GM2NE support AMD GPUs?

Because this is a desktop PC I will likely use add-in Cards for USB 3.2 Gen 2, USB 4, Thunderbolt and 10G SFP+ DAC/RJ45/SMOF transceivers as well as maybe a card for audio.

Thanks.
You're better off running ESXi on an EPYC server instead of Windows. Keep in mind that Threadripper & Ryzen have far higher clock speeds when lightly loaded. EPYC is more about running 16-64 cores with predictable performance, and enabling tons of memory bandwidth + loads of PCIe bandwidth for devices.

To give you an example, my S8030 + 7302P with a 4070 FE scores 16800/7100 for GPU/CPU on 3DMark TimeSpy under ESXi - the CPU score is far lower than any Ryzen/Threadripper. On the other hand, the server is in the basement, runs 7 VMs, has 12 SATA & 4 NVMe SSDs. It also has 40GbE NICs and goes 8-10 months between reboots.

nickwalt

Oct 4, 2023
Brisbane
Thanks for the comparison. I do actually have an Epyc 7452 (32 cores, 155w TDP) on an H12SSL-i with 128GB 3200 memory (about to upgrade to 256GB) then again to max 512GB. It is running ESXi 8.0U2.

I want to have a rock solid desktop that can hibernate without crashing after a month or so and which can run a few VMs that are a part of the vsphere domain established on the server.

But, it seems to me that what you recommend is the way to go - either a 16 core 5000 TR on a desktop motherboard or a Ryzen 9 5950x or 7950x with UDIMM ECC on a decent mobo.

Epyc does have some high frequency CPU's like the 7F52 which might be suited to desktop. But power hungry.

I'm just tired of having a consumer desktop that crashes every so often because (I suspect) of errors that creap into the hibernation file.

One of the problems with running either Windows 10 in a vm or running Linux is the lack of fluid multi monitor support.

Maybe I should just Sleep instead of Hibernate.

It just sucks that Ryzen still has only 24 lanes. Threadripper 7000 HEDT should have been 60+ lanes and Ryzen 7000 should have moved to 40 lanes.

Last edited:

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
Thanks for the comparison. I do actually have an Epyc 7452 (32 cores, 155w TDP) on an H12SSL-i with 128GB 3200 memory (about to upgrade to 256GB) then again to max 512GB. It is running ESXi 8.0U2.

I want to have a rock solid desktop that can hibernate without crashing after a month or so and which can run a few VMs that are a part of the vsphere domain established on the server.

But, it seems to me that what you recommend is the way to go - either a 16 core 5000 TR on a desktop motherboard or a Ryzen 9 5950x or 7950x with UDIMM ECC on a decent mobo.

Epyc does have some high frequency CPU's like the 7F52 which might be suited to desktop. But power hungry.

I'm just tired of having a consumer desktop that crashes every so often because (I suspect) of errors that creap into the hibernation file.

One of the problems with running either Windows 10 in a vm or running Linux is the lack of fluid multi monitor support.

Maybe I should just Sleep instead of Hibernate.

It just sucks that Ryzen still has only 24 lanes. Threadripper 7000 HEDT should have been 60+ lanes and Ryzen 7000 should have moved 40 lanes.
I have a NUC 8i7BEH running as a HTPC, connected to a TV. Getting it to hibernate properly without crashing has been a challenge. I've had to swap out NVMe drives, USB NICs, USB keyboard dongles, turn off PCIe ASPM etc - so it can go to sleep and not wake up randomly + crash in between. Now it can hibernate with 2-3 months between reboots

Compared to this my Mac M1 laptop goes for MANY months without rebooting, wakes up with multi-monitor (although MacOS Sonoma brought back some nasty bugs with wake-from-sleep and Thunderbolt connected docks and displays). The difference is the tighter control Apple has over software + hardware

I'm just pointing out that it is possible to get Win10 Pro to do what you want, but the downside is you'll have to constrain it to very few attached devices and power profiles, as well as be ready to swap out recalcitrant devices. This makes it less useful as a desktop but one way out is to connect everything including monitors to a Thunderbolt dock and then disconnect that dock when hibernating

I should add that I had a H12SSL with a 7502 & GTX2080 running Windows 10 Enterprise and it was NOT a pleasant experience. Running ESXi and even Windows Server on that was actually far smoother, until the H12SSL crapped out due to the problematic BMC power components

nickwalt

Oct 4, 2023
Brisbane
I suspected that the Epyc desktop might be a much bigger problem for Windows. Interesting to hear that the H12SSL-i has a known issue with the BMC as I've not come across any discussion about it so far.

The Tyan looks like a nice board as an alternative to the H12SSL-series. It is quite a bit cheaper.

Threadripper Pro is still quite expensive on the used market and potentially less reliable due to use in a non-enterprise environment. Data centers tend to have good cooling, power and are dust free. Components tend to fail within the 3-4 years of use so the used market is pretty good if handled well.

If Linux distros had got together and developed the desktop window and graphics display technology it would be a great option. Maybe even for Epyc.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
Interesting to hear that the H12SSL-i has a known issue with the BMC as I've not come across any discussion about it so far.
https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/h12ssl-i-stuck-at-bmc-initiating.38043/post-372517 - I have a couple of folks who have this board and have been hit with this very same problem. The threads are full of folks who have the same issue. Rev 1.02 of the board has a different design which is why you see so many Rev 1.0 and Rev 1.01 boards floating on eBay etc

The Tyan has its own issues (like it doesnt support Virtual Media via the iKVM console) but it doesn't require an expensive license for the ILO/BMC. And it has working bifurcation. If you get one, be sure to get a version with a 64MB BMC chip and not the 32MB chip

btw - none of the EPYCs support resizable BAR and neither does ESXi, so if you're gaming with a modern GPU - that might be something to keep in mind