Tyan S8030GM2NE

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rigel.local

Feb 17, 2023
Read a basic book on electronics - something that tells you about LEDs and Anode/Cathode and also a book or web pages on electrical circuits, especially talking about color codes (e.g. Where Do I Start? - SparkFun Learn)

Most switches such as RST/RESET or PWR - will make momentary contact and will not have polarity ( + or - ) - these therefore don't care about how you connect them

LEDs have polarity and are connect as follows The LED positive terminal or + is the Anode is always connected to a + or positive power source. And the LED negative terminal or - or Cathode is always connected to negative polarity / ground / GND.

As fas as wire color codes go - white and green are often used to represent GND or the negative terminal. Blue and red often indicate live or + / positive terminals

NIC1 LED Green => LAN0_LED_L
NIC1 LED Blue => LAN0_LED_P

Thank you so much!!! it worked!!

Reactions: RolloZ170

McKajVah

Nov 14, 2011
Norway
- What are the implication of the limitations with the 32mb/64mb BMC flash chip?
- Why are people sending in the board to get the chip replaced?
- I know you need to stick with BMC v3.0, but what are the limitations compared to v.410?

Thanks

codgician

Dec 14, 2022
La La Land
- What are the implication of the limitations with the 32mb/64mb BMC flash chip?
- Why are people sending in the board to get the chip replaced?
- I know you need to stick with BMC v3.0, but what are the limitations compared to v.410?

Thanks
Boards with 32MB BMC chip cannot be upgraded to BMC 4.0+. Some features (e.g. Redfish API) may not function properly in BIOS 4.01+ when paired with BMC 3.0. If you don't need advanced BMC features it should be fine to stick with 32MB BMC chip and 3.0 BMC.

sam55todd

May 11, 2023
i think to keep the warranty.
In my experience with most equipment (and if I understood you correctly) warranty counts from purchase (or delivery) date, it is not reset and not starting over from last replacement (which would be relatively easy to exploit turning it into perpetual with orchestrated regular replacements).

Last edited:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
In my experience with most equipment (and if I understood you correctly) warranty counts from purchase (or delivery) date, it is not reset and not starting over from last replacement (which would be relatively easy to exploit turning it into perpetual with orchestrated regular replacements).
but warranty is void if you soldering yourself on it.

rigel.local

Feb 17, 2023
Hi, I'm trying to install Windows 10 on this motherboard with EPYC Rome processor. I tried both "Legacy" and "UEFI" BIOS settings. It fails every time right after the boot drive selection during installation. Error vary from "the installation could boy proceed to the next step" to some errors Cx0000005 complaining about installation media.

Has anyone succeeded installing Windows 10 or 11 on this motherboard? Also, which version of the Windows should I install? x64 or x86?

This is the screen I see right after selecting a drive during Windows 10 install:
screenshot-2023-06-07-22-34-57@2x.png

Last edited:

rigel.local

Feb 17, 2023
Enabling Remote BIOS

Step 3: So now let's use curl to change the default Redfish account username and password to <new_user> and <new_passwd> (Substitute accordingly)
Code:
curl -k -u 'Administrator:superuser' \
        --request PATCH 'https://192.168.0.10/redfish/v1/AccountService/Accounts/1' \
        --header 'If-Match: W/"<some_number>"' \
        --header 'Content-Type: application/json' \
        --data-raw '{"UserName":"<new_user>", "Password":"<new_passwd>" }'
This should give a HTTP 204 (no content) - but I actually got an error message, the command still worked though. Now when you use the BIOS link to login and use your new username and password, you should be able to see the BIOS settings and even change them

Hope this helps ...
I was trying to follow your guide but fail every time at Step 3, it always complains about the password "PropertyValueFormatError". Are there any specific password character and length requirements? Is it allowed to use special character like "<" in the password?

The password I tried that did not work out:

wordWord1234<5

Example:

Code:
{
    "@Message.ExtendedInfo": [
        {
            "@odata.type": "#Message.v1_0_5.Message",
            "Message": "The value of length 14 for the property Password is of a different format than the property can accept.",
            "MessageArgs": [
                "of length 14",
                "Password"
            ],
            "MessageId": "Base.1.0.0.PropertyValueFormatError",
            "RelatedProperties": [
                "#/Password"
            ],
            "Resolution": "Correct the value for the property in the request body and resubmit the request if the operation failed.",
            "Severity": "Warning"
        }
    ],
}

I have also noticed in my BIOS settings "Redfish Host Interface" is Disabled and the menu does not allow it to Enable. Could this be a problem and can I enable it?

screenshot-2023-06-08-10-56-26@2x.png

Last edited:

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
I was trying to follow your guide but fail every time at Step 3, it always complains about the password "PropertyValueFormatError". Are there any specific password character and length requirements? Is it allowed to use special character like "<" in the password?
Have you tried with a password without special characters? If curl does not work and you are using Windows - try using Postman

I have also noticed in my BIOS settings "Redfish Host Interface" is Disabled and the menu does not allow it to Enable. Could this be a problem and can I enable it?
This is not needed

rigel.local

Feb 17, 2023
Have you tried with a password without special characters? If curl does not work and you are using Windows - try using Postman
I tried Postman and used password without special characters. The password setup worked, but wen I go to:
https://[IPMI IP ADDRESS]/bios/Index.html

login and password worked, but the web BIOS screen is empty.

ChanningHe

Jun 14, 2023
For everyone who is also looking for this. After ~11 days I finally received the answer from Tyan support:

Get/Set PWM Duty

0x2e 0x5 0xfd 0x19 0x00 <PWM ID> <0x00-0x64|0xfe|0xff>

Note:

PWM ID : 0,1,2,3,4,5

0x00-0x64 = 0 -100% duty

0xfe =Get Current PWM Duty

0xff = return to automatic control

For example:

To read current PWM duty cyle:

ipmitool -I lanplus -U <BMC IP> -U root -P <YourPassword> raw 0x2e 0x05 0xfd 0x19 0x00 0x03 0xfe

To set PWM duty cycle to 60 on PWM ID 0

ipmitool -I lanplus -U <BMC IP> -U root -P <YourPassword> raw 0x2e 0x05 0xfd 0x19 0x00 0x00 0x3C

What even more you can control EACH PWM SEPARATELY
Can you share the exact readings after input 0x2e 0x05 0xfd 0x19 0x00 0x03 0xfe?
I'm having a little trouble reading the results my Tyan gets after using this command, I guess the last digit is the result, but it's not the same as what I set.

root@truenas[~]# ipmitool raw 0x2e 0x5 0xfd 0x19 0x00 0x01 0xfe
fd 19 00 81
root@truenas[~]# ipmitool raw 0x2e 0x5 0xfd 0x19 0x00 0x01 0x3C
fd 19 00
fd 19 00 bc
root@truenas[~]# ipmitool raw 0x2e 0x5 0xfd 0x19 0x00 0x01 0x1C
fd 19 00
fd 19 00 9c

McKajVah

Nov 14, 2011
Norway
hmmm.... I updated my BMC to v3.0 and Bios to latest. Now I have no option to mount media in "remote KVM". Anyone know how I get it back??

adman_c

Feb 14, 2016
Chicago
I just got this board from newegg along with an EPYC 7532 from @ebay tugm4470 (awesome seller, btw!). I literally just put it on the testbench with nothing but the processor, 8x16GB sticks of 2666 memory and a single 256gb NVME. Installed proxmox and it's sitting here idling at <50W at the wall, as read from a Kasa smartplug. Obviously when I plug everything else into this thing power consumption is going to jump, but for now I'm pleasantly surprised. I expected the EPYC to idle substantially higher based on everything I'd read here and elsewhere on the web.

I'm sure I'll be asking questions here as I work this into my lab, but for now I just wanted to post my (extremely early and limited) positive experience with this board.

dante4

Jul 8, 2021
hmmm.... I updated my BMC to v3.0 and Bios to latest. Now I have no option to mount media in "remote KVM". Anyone know how I get it back??
You can't basically. Tech support answered that it enabled back in latest BIOS release, but you can't flash it unless you change 32mb chip to 64mb chip

malloot

Oct 24, 2013
I just got this board of an ebay seller and it just boots into a static IP for the BMC that i can't reach and displays PSP code 004B, anyone know what this might be?