Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

amikids

Sep 10, 2021
I can't confirm if using pci passthrough there are problems or not, because I use 2 bridges created within the proxmox.
ETH0 - vmbr0 - WAN
ETH1, 2 and 3 - vmbr1 - LAN

In this configuration (to use all available ports as a switch), I'm having these problems.
In fact, not just me, but others as well.

I really hope you don't have any problems buddy.
But, unfortunately, get ready for some bug or another.
I had some issue like you.
Proxmox - pfsense (vmbr0/vmbr1 also other port passthrough to pfsense)
So that I was tried to limit CPU in tunables
Code:
hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest    C3     
dev.cpu.0.cx_lowest        C3     
dev.cpu.1.cx_lowest        C3     
dev.cpu.2.cx_lowest        C3     
dev.cpu.3.cx_lowest        C3
And modify some in BIOS like previous pages and pfsense can working stable more than 10 days

dums

Aug 14, 2022
If you bought a variant without serial port I doubt there will be any option for that...
Event if you can't enable it in BIOS, most linux based OSes can support in OS level. This way you won't be able to tinker with BIOS or do initial installation, but you'll be able to access CLI once installation is finished.

Reactions: roarking

sko

Jun 11, 2021
Event if you can't enable it in BIOS, most linux based OSes can support in OS level. This way you won't be able to tinker with BIOS or do initial installation, but you'll be able to access CLI once installation is finished.
yes, every real OS supports that, but that has nothing to do with console forwarding by the firmware/BIOS.

Reactions: roarking

Richard_10

Sep 26, 2022
Hello guys (I’m new to the forum. I have a network background),
did you see the latest from Topton ?
it has the i226-v and a a ryzen 7 5825u :
( € 446,94 34% Off | Topton New AMD Soft Router Ryzen 7 5825U 5800U 4x Intel i226-V 2.5G NAS Server Firewall Appliance Mini PC Dual M.2 NVMe 3x4K UHD
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EQZwSJ9 )
do you think it is warranted for a router/firewall usage with sqm and wireguard ?
i’m thinking of changing my router and interested in a i226-v interface (with all the i225-v issues)
thanks in advance

Last edited:

miroco

Aug 22, 2022
From this PDF I at least get the impression that the motherboard is equipped with a functioning com port.

----

N5105-N6005

(Translated from Chinese)

Forth Edition N5105-N6005 Motherboard Specifications

Specifications:

Serial port - Built-in one set of COM pin headers (support RS232)

Snk B

Jul 19, 2022
I had some issue like you.
Proxmox - pfsense (vmbr0/vmbr1 also other port passthrough to pfsense)
So that I was tried to limit CPU in tunables
Code:
hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest    C3    
dev.cpu.0.cx_lowest        C3    
dev.cpu.1.cx_lowest        C3    
dev.cpu.2.cx_lowest        C3    
dev.cpu.3.cx_lowest        C3
And modify some in BIOS like previous pages and pfsense can working stable more than 10 days
Apparently the Jasper Lake series (5105 and 6005) have a bug in the C states, causing this...
It's a CPU for office use... Virtualizing a lot of things ends up compromising the CPU's performance.
Several people with the same processor, had problems and ended up leaving these minipcs only as a router :(

dums

Aug 14, 2022
From this PDF I at least get the impression that the motherboard is equipped with a functioning com port.
Sure. But as in most desktop PCs functionality to access BIOS CLI via serial port is not granted (it's rather exception).

ech1965

Apr 3, 2011
Apparently the Jasper Lake series (5105 and 6005) have a bug in the C states, causing this...
It's a CPU for office use... Virtualizing a lot of things ends up compromising the CPU's performance.
Several people with the same processor, had problems and ended up leaving these minipcs only as a router :(
Have you a source ? I'm waiting for my N5105 to be delivered "soon" and is supposed to become my proxmox homelab host...

Snk B

Jul 19, 2022
Have you a source ? I'm waiting for my N5105 to be delivered "soon" and is supposed to become my proxmox homelab host...
Of course... I'm a font (I already had n5105 and now I have 6005), I just bought the Ryzen 5825U version
A few pages ago, some colleagues had the same symptoms.
Here it is also reported: VM freezes irregularly

Here:
Screenshot_4.jpg

burtal

Jul 7, 2022
Question for those in Eu who bought from CW...How the unit was shipped(they have only one option for shiping) Where it entered in Eu? Via what carrier.

Mine is stuck for over one week in Belgium, i guess, with PostNL.

ech1965

Apr 3, 2011
Of course... I'm a font (I already had n5105 and now I have 6005), I just bought the Ryzen 5825U version
A few pages ago, some colleagues had the same symptoms.
Here it is also reported: VM freezes irregularly

Here:
OK understood,

I was assuming from your message there is some ackowledged bug by intel at silicon level.
For now I didn't see this kind of message only crash report that might be solved in software ( kernel) or firmware, BIOS.

GreenAvacado

Sep 25, 2022
My understanding is that this bug has potentially been addressed as Kernel workaround in Proxmox, is that not true?
Are people still experiencing freeze/long term stability issues after latest edge Kernel update?

ech1965

Apr 3, 2011
Question for those in Eu who bought from CW...How the unit was shipped(they have only one option for shiping) Where it entered in Eu? Via what carrier.

Mine is stuck for over one week in Belgium, i guess, with PostNL.
Mine is also on its way to Belgium Track Your Parcel Delivery Status. Powered by AfterShip.
( bought via amazon via this reseller HUNSN )
They promised I won't be caugh by customs because they'd pay the vat....
Amazon tells me it should be deliverd by October 13th.... patience

GreenAvacado

Sep 25, 2022
FYI, to all those looking to use I226-V based NIC on pfSense:

2.7CE snapshot that in under development support 226V right out of the box, in case you don't want to update to "Plus".

burtal

Jul 7, 2022
Mine is also on its way to Belgium Track Your Parcel Delivery Status. Powered by AfterShip.
( bought via amazon via this reseller HUNSN )
They promised I won't be caugh by customs because they'd pay the vat....
Amazon tells me it should be deliverd by October 13th.... patience
amazon in another thing ... they are an "EU seller" so no tax .... also VAT and import tax are different things

I am interested on purchases made from CW store on aliexpres.

To make a comparisons with Topton shiping.

So far Topton on this aspect wins they have more xp in 2 weeks the pack it was at my door. CW althoug has a small payed delivery cost (im sure Toptons in included in the price already, that is why is "free") they ship via the slowest cheapest way...

I think now that Topton has V4 also on sale ... might be better to buy from them

Does opnSense support the 226-v?
i think yes ... opnS is on a more newer FreeBSD 14 distro .... althoug Pfsense now is on freebsd12 , netgate anounced that they will skip the 13 to get on freebsd 14 also

Reactions: BrutusBoots