Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BrutusBoots

Sep 19, 2022
Using a v.3 board with N6005 and i225 here. Rock solid.
Running pfSense 22.05, two Technitium DNS containers, OpenMediaVault VM.

No issues whatsoever with PCI passtrough.
I'll be super curious to see if I encounter these proxmox issues or not.

DomFel

Sep 5, 2022
I edited my message, check it again to see my configuration.

Started using proxmox 2 months ago. If anybody has other ideas to squeeze even more performance from this boxes feel free to share!

Snk B

Jul 19, 2022
Using a v.3 board with N6005 and i225 here. Rock solid.
Running pfSense Plus 22.05, two Technitium DNS containers, OpenMediaVault VM.

No issues whatsoever with PCI passtrough.
I can't confirm if using pci passthrough there are problems or not, because I use 2 bridges created within the proxmox.
ETH0 - vmbr0 - WAN
ETH1, 2 and 3 - vmbr1 - LAN

In this configuration (to use all available ports as a switch), I'm having these problems.
In fact, not just me, but others as well.

I really hope you don't have any problems buddy.
But, unfortunately, get ready for some bug or another.

DomFel

Sep 5, 2022
I can't confirm if using pci passthrough there are problems or not, because I use 2 bridges created within the proxmox.
Check again my message, I edited it. Try disabling CPU mitigations and set multiqueue for the virtual bridges to the same number of your CPU cores.

I consider this stuff to be 'bleeding edge' for virtualization, since all components are new and sometimes unsupported (see pfSense CE with i226).
To get the most out of it, either you go bare metal with routing software, or try offloading the BIOS features as much as you can i.e.: CPU mitigations might have a bad implementation in the bios, as well as ACPI support.
The units are great, BIOS is pure chaos since too many options are left to the user, but I guess if you want a filtered and properly working BIOS then be prepared to spend at least double the amount with less performing hardware (protectli or Shuttle).

BrutusBoots

Sep 19, 2022
Check again my message, I edited it. Try disabling CPU mitigations and set multiqueue for the virtual bridges to the same number of your CPU cores.

I consider this stuff to be 'bleeding edge' for virtualization, since all components are new and sometimes unsupported (see pfSense CE with i226).
To get the most out of it, either you go bare metal with routing software, or try offloading the BIOS features as much as you can i.e.: CPU mitigations might have a bad implementation in the bios, as well as ACPI support.
The units are great, BIOS is pure chaos since too many options are left to the user, but I guess if you want a filtered and properly working BIOS then be prepared to spend at least double the amount with less performing hardware (protectli or Shuttle).
If this turns out to be a flop for me, I'll probably build a nice mini itx system. Hoping for the best though.

burtal

Jul 7, 2022
i would get a ryzen but for a mini NAS/server, ....hope they will do an upgrade of their nas board

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
Thank you.

So if we order we can expect 2 x M.2 NVMe sockets and 1 mini PCIe for WiFi (with adapter) and a SIM slot (that nobody will use) and 4 x i266V NICs.
Is that about it?

tps://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004766321710.ht

Snk B

Jul 19, 2022
Thank you.

So if we order we can expect 2 x M.2 NVMe sockets and 1 mini PCIe for WiFi (with adapter) and a SIM slot (that nobody will use) and 4 x i266V NICs.
Is that about it?

tps://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004766321710.ht
I think so.
I'm interested in picking up this version, as 8c/16t is pretty cool.
32gb of ram 3200 I already have.
I'm just waiting for Aliexpress to release my appeal.

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
I think so.
I'm interested in picking up this version, as 8c/16t is pretty cool.
32gb of ram 3200 I already have.
I'm just waiting for Aliexpress to release my appeal.
She is a bit pricey that's the only issue. I will have to sell my other one before I grabbed this one.

Snk B

Jul 19, 2022
She is a bit pricey that's the only issue. I will have to sell my other one before I grabbed this one.
Not too expensive... It's too expensive haha
But for the performance it delivers, I think it's worth it. Very much worth it.
I'm going to take this one and sell my new V4 6005.
I think you can sell it fast.
This Ryzen for use with ESXi or Proxmox must be wonderful.

Reactions: dazagrt

keretter

Sep 25, 2022
Hi all I just received a N5105 box from Topton, identifier 1338NP-12-V112 and OOB the temperatures are crazy high (85 degrees idling).

But the real problem is with OPNsense I cannot obtain decent performances. With iperf3 from inside the box to the LAN it maxes out at 650 Mbps. LAN-LAN goes over 900 Mbits.

Is there something I'm missing out with tunables or special settings? I disabled i225 flow control and activated all offloads.

Thanks!

GreenAvacado

Sep 25, 2022
Like I said; "we can expect 2 x M.2 NVMe sockets and 1 mini PCIe for WiFi (with adapter)"
Cool, good to know. Was curious if there is clearance to accommodate NVME drive heatsink on CPU side slot.

By the looks of it, there is certainly room heatsink on one M.2 drive but not sure about the CPU side.

sko

Jun 11, 2021
I received my V4 N5105 with BIOS JK4L103 today and "Serial Port Console Redirection" is missing from the BIOS. The board has a COM header (JCOM1) and I hope that the feature can be added/enabled in a future BIOS version. Your screenshot will be useful to illustrate what I need when I talk to CWWK.
1664175831288.png

If you bought a variant without serial port I doubt there will be any option for that...

Reactions: roarking