Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

keretter

Sep 25, 2022
Hi all I just received a N5105 box from Topton, identifier 1338NP-12-V112 and OOB the temperatures are crazy high (85 degrees idling).

But the real problem is with OPNsense I cannot obtain decent performances. With iperf3 from inside the box to the LAN it maxes out at 650 Mbps. LAN-LAN goes over 900 Mbits.

Is there something I'm missing out with tunables or special settings? I disabled i225 flow control and activated all offloads.

Thanks!
Do any of you have this kind of problems with interfaces speed? Did you do something special? Maybe I'm the only one...

keretter

Sep 25, 2022
I'm running OpenWRT. With Iperf3 I'm getting ~2.3 Gigabit on LAN, ~1.9 Gigabit on www.speedtest.net. Idle temperatures ~+45C.
I expected something along these lines, too. But it's very strange that it does not do more than 650 Mbps from inside the box. Do you use some particular flags with iperf3? I did the usual -P4 but there is little difference.

dums

Aug 14, 2022
I expected something along these lines, too. But it's very strange that it does not do more than 650 Mbps from inside the box. Do you use some particular flags with iperf3? I did the usual -P4 but there is little difference.
No extra flags on iperf3 (just ones specifying client/server). CPU is ~80% idle on plain traffic, ~50-60% idle when transferring files from/to disk attached to OpenWRT box (file transfer rates at ~2 - 2.3 Gigabits).

Sep 7, 2022
I'm on my third set of hardware now and still keep getting seemingly random crash dumps with OPNsense. Has anyone been able to run these things for more than a day or two without crashes, with OPNsense on bare metal? First was a Topton V3 N5105 unit, then a Qotom Q770G4, now ordered a V4 N6005 unit directly from CWWK. All have had issues. About ready to give up on these Chinese reseller units.

Reactions: Snk B

Snk B

Jul 19, 2022
I'm on my third set of hardware now and still keep getting seemingly random crash dumps with OPNsense. Has anyone been able to run these things for more than a day or two without crashes, with OPNsense on bare metal? First was a Topton V3 N5105 unit, then a Qotom Q770G4, now ordered a V4 N6005 unit directly from CWWK. All have had issues. About ready to give up on these Chinese reseller units.
Please, see: https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...e-quad-i225v-mini-pc-report.36699/post-349570

BrutusBoots

Sep 19, 2022
I discovered these devices because of the STH reviews and there is numerous mentions of using them with proxmox in the reviews. Perhaps they should put out a video updating that proxmox does indeed have issues on these devices if that is the case.

Sep 7, 2022
I discovered these devices because of the STH reviews and there is numerous mentions of using them with proxmox in the reviews. Perhaps they should put out a video updating that proxmox does indeed have issues on these devices if that is the case.
Neither of these have anything to do with my post. I asked about OPNsense on bare metal, not Proxmox.

Blarvar

Aug 15, 2022
I've been running bare metal OPNsense on my CWWK v4 n5105 unit for about a week now, rock solid. The only complaint I have is that I can't seem to make Intel speed step work properly. CPU frequency never drops below 2ghz.
Did the customary repasting/mount grinding. Temps are stable around 48C.

Sep 7, 2022
Oh yes, I'm sorry. I thought you were referring to proxmox.
Using pfsense/OPNsense, or any bare metal system, is rock solid.
Interesting. What RAM and SSD are you using?

I've been running bare metal OPNsense on my CWWK v4 n5105 unit for about a week now, rock solid. The only complaint I have is that I can't seem to make Intel speed step work properly. CPU frequency never drops below 2ghz.
Did the customary repasting/mount grinding. Temps are stable around 48C.
I've also been unable to get SpeedStep working right. What RAM and SSD did you put in it? I'm starting to wonder if I might have defective RAM or SSD...

BrutusBoots

Sep 19, 2022
I'm hoping I just have no issues. Gotta remember that the people with working devices typically aren't on a troubleshooting forum haha

Snk B

Jul 19, 2022

roarking

Aug 28, 2022
My RAM is Kingston HyperX 2x16GB 3200
What memory speed do you achieve with this RAM configuration?

I am testing with 2x Crucial CT32G4SFD832A (32GB 3200) and get 11600 MB/s which is less than I expected:

roarking@v4n5105 ~ $ sudo stressapptest -M 50000 -s 600
Stats: Found 0 hardware incidents
Stats: Completed: 6964230.00M in 600.08s 11605.49MB/s, with 0 hardware incidents, 0 errors
Stats: Memory Copy: 6964230.00M at 11606.62MB/s
Stats: File Copy: 0.00M at 0.00MB/s
Stats: Net Copy: 0.00M at 0.00MB/s
Stats: Data Check: 0.00M at 0.00MB/s
Stats: Invert Data: 0.00M at 0.00MB/s
Stats: Disk: 0.00M at 0.00MB/s

roarking@v4n5105 ~ $

Last edited:

Blarvar

Aug 15, 2022
Interesting. What RAM and SSD are you using?

I've also been unable to get SpeedStep working right. What RAM and SSD did you put in it? I'm starting to wonder if I might have defective RAM or SSD...
Yeah, if you are on your third set of hardware and it's still not stable it might be a good idea to test with some cheap $15 RAM just to eliminate that as a source of problems. I have 16GB of Mushkin Redline 3200Mhz and some spare WD ssd had I had laying around.
As for Speedstep I'm thinking it could be down to not finding the correct BIOS settings, since the implementation is not at all simplified like most tier 1 vendors. Could also be down to using the latest BIOS which comes default with insanely aggressive settings.

kociubin

Sep 26, 2022
For anyone having issues with ProxMox (i.e. VMs randomly crashing or rebooting), give the PVE Edge Kernel a try. It finaly made my VMs stable where as before they would fail after a few hours of load testing.

https://github.com/fabianishere/pve-edge-kernel/releases

BTW, I tried other workarounds suggested (updating bios, turning on multiqueue, changing power limits, disabling turbo).

It only takes a few minutes to install the new kernel. Instructions:
https://github.com/fabianishere/pve-edge-kernel