temperature of the Broadcom 10Gb LAN controller (BCM57416) on Supermicro motherboards

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cen2rocky

Mar 27, 2024
I am looking for information from people with systems with Supermicro motherboards with a Broadcom 10Gb NIC controller chip (BCM57416). Specifically, I would like to find out the NIC temperature IPMI reports on your board (for example, running "ipmitool sensor" or the IPMICFG tool "IPMICFG -sdr"). We have such a system, with the X13DAI-T board, and IPMI reports a NIC temperature of 71C-74C. This seems extremely high -- likely to damage the chip and the board. Other systems, with onboard 10Gb Intel NIC controllers, report temperatures around 45C. Thanks!

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
75C won't damage anything and is not something to be concerned about. Hot for humans, but not electronics. Most NIC chips are rated for 105-110C.

Reactions: TRACKER

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
55C is the ambient temperature. Intel lists 105C as the maximum for the chip itself. See page 1113 of the datasheet.

cen2rocky

Mar 27, 2024
Thanks again! I found the datasheet you are referring to. I hope your interpretation is correct. On the page I specified earlier, where they specify "maximum operating temperature" of 55C, they have an explanation that this is "the maximum operating temperature allowed as reported by temperature sensors" -- I interpreted that to mean that this is the sensor information that IPMI is able to retrieve. Hopefully, my interpretation was wrong. One thing for sure -- in the future I'll try to only purchase motherboards with Intel controllers.

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
There are further pages that explain that it's ambient operating temperature, but it's 1200+ page datasheet, so who wants to go through that. Broadcom is fine too and you should be fine with that over Intel. I haven't looked through their datasheets, but operating conditions should be similar.

izx

Jan 17, 2016
The Broadcom NIC heatsink appears to be the one behind the PCIE slots. In open bench testing, with no positive airflow across the board, it will easily cross 85C even at idle.

These temps are not an issue.