Supermicro H12SSL-i, H12SSL-C, H12SSL-NT, H12SSL-CT boards - notes, experiences

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
I’d try updating your bios to see if the new version shakes something loose regarding your errors.

serverhomeathome

Jan 20, 2023
What could be wrong with H12SSL-i? I try to create RAID1 for Linux as storage for OS. I use two M.2 ports on the motherboard for it, each port has NVMe SSD Netac NV7000 2TB but on the step when Linux(debian) detects drives during installation, I see only one Netac 2TB and it stops me to create RAID1 array.
On BIOS settings I can see in Security settings a string where Netac 2TB mentioned too. I have question, has it to show two or more strings if more than one SSD connected to motherboard?

I tried to exchange SSD drives, the first one to insert in the second M.2 port and the second one to insert in the first M.2 port, the same situation. I left connected only one SSD drive, still the same situation. Linux kernel is the latest - 6.1

LolSalad

May 28, 2021
What could be wrong with H12SSL-i? I try to create RAID1 for Linux as storage for OS. I use two M.2 ports on the motherboard for it, each port has NVMe SSD Netac NV7000 2TB but on the step when Linux(debian) detects drives during installation, I see only one Netac 2TB and it stops me to create RAID1 array.
On BIOS settings I can see in Security settings a string where Netac 2TB mentioned too. I have question, has it to show two or more strings if more than one SSD connected to motherboard?

I tried to exchange SSD drives, the first one to insert in the second M.2 port and the second one to insert in the first M.2 port, the same situation. I left connected only one SSD drive, still the same situation. Linux kernel is the latest - 6.1
I do not believe there is a raid capability across the m.2 slots. Would need a m.2 raid controller aoc.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
but on the step when Linux(debian) detects drives during installation, I see only one Netac 2TB and it stops me to create RAID1 array.
you want to install on 2x NVMe in RAID1 ? afaik you have to install on other drive than the two RAID drives.

bitbckt

will google compiler errors for scotch
Feb 22, 2022
I use them both in a RAID 1 array via ZFS for my proxmox OS volumes. That works, but I don't think you'll be able to do similarly with upstream debian.

serverhomeathome

Jan 20, 2023
you want to install on 2x NVMe in RAID1 ? afaik you have to install on other drive than the two RAID drives.
Yes. Two nvme ssd drives for it..and main storage on raid5 with the same model of ssd drives(through extension pcie boards) but I am stuck on the OS installation proccess it yet.

I didnt understand your "afaik you have to install on other drive than the two RAID drives." What to do you mean in other words?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I didnt understand your "afaik you have to install on other drive than the two RAID drives." What to do you mean in other words?
the two drives are connected to CPU PCIe not RAID controller, so software raid. OS can not started from those drives.
edit: OS shows you not the NVMe which itself installed on, only the available drives thought.

Reactions: serverhomeathome

bitbckt

Feb 22, 2022
have you changed (BIOS) the NVME Firmware source from "Vendor defined" to "AMI Native" ?
I’ll see if I can take one offline tomorrow to check, but no, I don’t recall changing anything like that. I have five of these boards, and haven’t had any issues like this.

bitbckt

Feb 22, 2022
you have done this before with the identical-models of SSD & board & CPU ?
Yes, as I said, I have five of them. All running proxmox on a RAID 1 with ZFS on the root volume.

[edit]: Unless I misunderstand, you mean all of *my* components are identical (they are), or identical to the other person’s (they are not).

bitbckt

Feb 22, 2022
For completeness sake, here's what I have working with ZFS RAID 1 on the root volume for my lab:

Motherboard: H12SSL-NT
CPU: EPYC 7502P
m.2 NVME: 2x Samsung PM983

I've also used the -CT and -i variants of the same board, and used the same RAID 1 setup on those without issue.

have you changed (BIOS) the NVME Firmware source from "Vendor defined" to "AMI Native" ?
I bounced a host to check this: no, I didn't change the firmware source in my installation.

@serverhomeathome Since you haven't actually been able to install an OS yet, could you download the Proxmox 7.3 installer and see if it sees both drives?

metebalci

Dec 27, 2022
Switzerland
i'm fine with PCIe Gen3 speeds. Gen4 stuff is so new and are more expensive - controller, cables, drives..
and that's why i'm asking - will that Gen3 stuff work just fine with H12SSL?
All cards I use are Gen3 (except NVMe), I havent seen an issue.

My only complaint about H12SSL-NT is remote management desktop connection is slow, when it works it is ok, but particularly at startup it is slow. I had much better experience with Dell iDRAC.

Last edited:

scline

Apr 7, 2016
Does anyone have success or tried using LRDIMM's on this series of boards? I grabbed 4x 64GB quad ranked 2400 sticks and can only ever get one or two of them to show up on boot (boot takes forever with them in, 1-2min to start) while swapping back to RDIMM's 6x 32GB works like a champ.

Wondering if these boards are extra picky on LRDIMMs or if there is a setting I need to move around.

Board: H12SSL-NT
CPU: Epyc 7502
RAM: 4x Hynix HMAA8GL7MMR4N-UH 64GB 4DRx4 DDR4-2400 ECC LRDIMM

I have since moved those stick of RAM to a Dell r730 and they boot/test fine