Supermicro H12SSL-i, H12SSL-C, H12SSL-NT, H12SSL-CT boards - notes, experiences

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

uldise

Jul 2, 2020
Direct connect your PCIe 4.0 NVME drives - one for each slot.
thanks for options, i'm using this one now.

You just need to find a Supermicro partner or a company specialized in Supermicro. They usually have to order and get the stuff within 1-2 weeks.
i did that, and they have no delivery date for now..

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
I can add that I had an AOC with the same 10gbe ethernet chipset used on this board and I was unable to get it working in Windows 10 Professional. I haven't looked at it in a year or two. If someone gets the 10gbe ethernet on this H12SSL boards working in Windows 10 Pro, please post your experiences.

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
@TXAG26 I've connected Mellanox Connect-X 5 EN 100Gbps and its working fine (at least seems to) on Windows 10 Pro 2004.
If I recall correctly, the issue was that Broadcom at the time did not have Win10 Pro drivers for the 10GbE Ethernet chipset on the H12SSL series boards.

DRW

May 1, 2021
i'm fine with PCIe Gen3 speeds. Gen4 stuff is so new and are more expensive - controller, cables, drives..
and that's why i'm asking - will that Gen3 stuff work just fine with H12SSL?
Since you are ok with gen3 stuff, you might want to look at the qnap QDA-U2MP u.2 enclosures. On paper, these look pretty neat. There's a pcie gen3 switch in each one and the enclosure itself is a heatsink. I bought two a while back, but haven't tested them yet as my epyc order is shipping who-knows-when.

uldise

Jul 2, 2020
i just wanna to share my experience with H12SSL-C (paired with 7282 CPU, 8x32GB RAM). since day one i used this board there is a problem with stuck on PCI Bus Enumeration message on power on. today i had a very similar situation:
- i added new M.2 nvme boot drive to my system, Proxmox booted just fine from it.
- in Proxmox i just checked all VMs to auto start and did a reboot.
- boot process hangs on "PCI Bus Enumeration".
- i did a hard power off my system with long press on Power on button.
- system them boot up just fine, but onboard 3008 HBA was not there.
- then i shut down my system, removed power cord for complete power off.
- connected back power cord, power up system, and then all up and running - 3008 HBA is in place.

so, while it works, then all is fine, except these errors on boot. most of time bios stuck is after a reboot. when you cold boot a system, then it always boots just fine.
i'm on BIOS 2.0 now. i see now BIOS version 2.1 is available, but not sure i want it - there are nothing interesting in release notes.

Reactions: serverhomeathome

ca3y6

Apr 3, 2021
On my side I received the replacement TPM (AOM-TPM-9665V) and my H12SSL-I freezes again on boot (stuck on DXE--USB initialisation 62). Raised it with supermicro support. I guess it must be a bug. Has anyone else experienced the same thing? If I remove the TPM chip the server boots fine and is stable.

Reactions: serverhomeathome

ca3y6

Apr 3, 2021
I also ran into something that must be a small bug. The MB is connected to a SM 829HE1C4-R1K02LPB chassis, and it appears that after a while, the monitoring of the power consumption freezes and remains frozen at a given value (both through SMCIPMITool dcmi powerStatus and through the web interface of the BMC). It doesn't seem to follow a deterministic pattern, sometimes occurs after a couple of days, sometimes not at all. Resetting the BMC fixes it.

uldise

Jul 2, 2020
Hi, i'm planning to add AOC-SLG3-4E4T | Add-on Cards | Accessories | Products - Super Micro Computer, Inc. to my board and connect it with direct attach Oculink to U.2 cables my NVME drives. i have a spare 5.25 slot available in my case for that.
have anyone tried this combination?
i'm answering this myself. i'm happy to report that AOC-SLG3-4E4T works just fine on my H12SSL-C. i tested it with 2 U.2 drives, both showing in my Proxmox just fine. i did some performance testing - no difference with previous configuration - one drive on single PCIe slot.

Reactions: Richard Sanchez

tabby27

Jun 29, 2020
I am considering getting this. The sole reason is that it has 5 pcie slots that can be used at x16 speed, which is nearly impossible to find. just about every other mobo has slots where one is x16 if nothing else is plugged in, otherwise 2-3 x8 slots at best. this thing has 5 x16 ???? can someone confirm? i checked the manual, and it doesn't say anything about the speeds going down if multiple cards are in.

ano

Nov 7, 2022
I also ran into something that must be a small bug. The MB is connected to a SM 829HE1C4-R1K02LPB chassis, and it appears that after a while, the monitoring of the power consumption freezes and remains frozen at a given value (both through SMCIPMITool dcmi powerStatus and through the web interface of the BMC). It doesn't seem to follow a deterministic pattern, sometimes occurs after a couple of days, sometimes not at all. Resetting the BMC fixes it.

did you figure this out? got quite a few incoming

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
did you figure this out? got quite a few incoming
I have noticed the same thing with mg board and power consumption freezing/not reporting. Restarting the BMC usually resolves the issue. Wish SM would fix this.

ano

Nov 7, 2022
I have noticed the same thing with mg board and power consumption freezing/not reporting. Restarting the BMC usually resolves the issue. Wish SM would fix this.
with the same chassis/backplane? or another?

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
Different chassis and PSU. I have one of the 1000/1200w ATX PSU’s w/SMBUS cable.

tabby27

Jun 29, 2020
fyi there's a new epyc cpu 9004 and supposedly a new gigabyte board coming out. it will have 4 full x16 slots and also several mcio things that i can't find any info about. but if i understand the mcio connectors can each hold 4 or 8 sata drives but the cables don't exist. anyone know anything about this?

LolSalad

May 28, 2021
fyi there's a new epyc cpu 9004 and supposedly a new gigabyte board coming out. it will have 4 full x16 slots and also several mcio things that i can't find any info about. but if i understand the mcio connectors can each hold 4 or 8 sata drives but the cables don't exist. anyone know anything about this?
MCIO will be able to hold 8 Sata Drives depending if the boards connector will allow for SATA.

Reactions: tabby27 and SDLeary

Erlipton

Jul 1, 2016
i just wanna to share my experience with H12SSL-C (paired with 7282 CPU, 8x32GB RAM). since day one i used this board there is a problem with stuck on PCI Bus Enumeration message on power on. today i had a very similar situation:
- i added new M.2 nvme boot drive to my system, Proxmox booted just fine from it.
- in Proxmox i just checked all VMs to auto start and did a reboot.
- boot process hangs on "PCI Bus Enumeration".
- i did a hard power off my system with long press on Power on button.
- system them boot up just fine, but onboard 3008 HBA was not there.
- then i shut down my system, removed power cord for complete power off.
- connected back power cord, power up system, and then all up and running - 3008 HBA is in place.

so, while it works, then all is fine, except these errors on boot. most of time bios stuck is after a reboot. when you cold boot a system, then it always boots just fine.
i'm on BIOS 2.0 now. i see now BIOS version 2.1 is available, but not sure i want it - there are nothing interesting in release notes.

I just started running into this issue, only after restart, cold boot fine... after a config change.

Differences in config from yours:
- my board is a different variant, H12SSL-i
- My DIMMs are 2666 MT/s (yours likely 3200?)

CPU is same. Only speculation that could be made here (in my mind) is the memory controller and this CPUs channel config, and how they differ from typical EYPC, whether SM considered that in the PCI Bus Enumeration process... something perhaps not being accounted for in cold start vs. restart.

Anyway...

Pre-issue config items changed:
- ASUS Hyper M.2 PCIe 4.0 with 4x 1TB 970 Evo Plus
- 2x NVMe drives on board slots

Post-issue config:
- removed all on board NVMe drives
- removed ASUS card (effectively, no more NVMe)
- added LSI SAS 2008
- added (2x) Athena Power BP-TLA3141SAS12 12 Gbps Mini-SAS HD Hot-Swap SAS
- added (4x) 400GB SAS HUSMR3240ASS204 HGST 2.5in Enterprise Server HDD SSD SS300 MLC
- swapped out some spinning rust, but were of same line of product, (2x) WD Red 8TB -> (2x) 4TB, likely irrelevant, but for sake of thoroughness.

System details:
- Linux kernel 5.15.46 (unraid 6.10.3 - ehem, no judgement please)

Additional issues:
- inability to access smb over 445 after certain web stack services are started (likely unrelated) - specifically the Appwrite docker. Again, thoroughness for some potentially obscure reason.