Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-H8iR Stopped working overnight

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

kruuth

Jul 4, 2022
I have a Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-H8iR Raid controller. It's running in an ASRock 970m pro3 w/Win7 and until last Saturday ran fine. Suddenly the drive isn't showing up in windows, and when I try to open Megaraid the local drive isn't coming up. In the logs, there's an entry from megasas that says "The driver has detected a device with old or out-of-date firmware. The device will not be used." I'm not really sure what to do about this. Can someone provide me with something that I should do to get the raid working again?

kruuth

Jul 4, 2022
No, it's restarted routinely. I'm able to get into the bios gui and see that all the drives are in the normal state as well, it's just that Windows is giving that error

Feb 19, 2021
Forced obsolescence is the theme for this decade unfortunately and Windows is one of the head cheerleaders. Most likely something "updated" and win7 drivers are not longer "trusted". Maybe time to get out from under windows, use the card in IT mode (driverless) and use zfs.

kruuth

Jul 4, 2022
I'm fine with that, I know it's an older card, and so long as my data is there that's fine. I'm wondering if there's something I can do other than just throwing *nix on there. Is there a note recent card I could hook the sata drives to and have them recognized as the array? Where do I go for the firmware anyway?

kruuth

Jul 4, 2022
Just in case this doesn't work, how would I move the drives to another newer card?

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
As long as its not a too different a card, the array(s) should just import upon first boot
But do stick with LSI based ROCs

Linux and MDADM can read the drives attached to a HBA if you get stuck
You can then grab the data and store in a different place to restart array(s)
MDADM works out the striping etc and then works out where data is on each drive
Tried this for an experiment and it actually works

But becareful

kruuth

Jul 4, 2022
I'm not averse to changing cards. This unit has served me really well, but I'm not keen on losing my array. Are any of those made by SuperMicro and which support the largest drive?

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
As above Supermicro made the AOC-S2208L-H8IR
aoc-s2208l-h8ir: Search Result | eBay
SAS2208 based next step up the evolution chain
But they are just rebranded LSI cards with possibly small changes in FW for possible OEM stuff but RAID fundimentals are the same

All those cards support all size drives, you need to go pre SAS2008 to get to <2TB drives

kruuth

Jul 4, 2022
Right now I'm running a bunch of 3tb drives but pushing on going to 8tb in the breast future. Space in the computer case is not an issue. Which model do you recommend?

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
I'd do this in this order
Start with Firmware make sure you have the newest from Supermicro
Try another driver
Try another RAID card the Supermicro should be most compatible but you may still have the driver/Firmware issue as driver for SAS2208 is same as 2108 for Win7

But your issue is your OS

kruuth

Jul 4, 2022
I know. I'm thinking about worst case scenario here. I don't like that it suddenly won't start the device because the firmware isn't the acceptable version. I thought I had the latest firmware on there but I know it's been awhile since I updated it

Last edited:

kruuth

Jul 4, 2022
Not sure what version driver you are running but try this one, its MR6.10 from Broadcom
https://docs.broadcom.com/docs-and-...s/MR_WINDOWS_DRIVER_6.10_6.710.11.00-WHQL.zip
Latest supporting Server 2k8 and Win7
or
Supermicro Windows Driver
www.supermicro.com - /wdl/driver/SAS/Broadcom/2108/Driver/Windows/
and/or
LSI2108 Supermicro Firmware
www.supermicro.com - /wdl/driver/SAS/Broadcom/2108/Firmware/
Tried the LSI driver--I get a BSOD with this DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Sorry for the delay. Covid. I tried uninstalling and deleting the new driver, rebooted and it is working now. However, Avago can't connect to the local megaraid server...

EDIT: I spoke too soon. Suddenly the drive isn't showing again. Going the FW route now.

kruuth

Jul 4, 2022
Mobilenvidia--thank you. How did you find those? I couldn't find anything when I looked.

kruuth

Jul 4, 2022
OK. Just tried updating the FW--I'm running 12.15.0.0239. The link above is the same FW version

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
I tried uninstalling and deleting the new driver, rebooted and it is working now. However, Avago can't connect to the local megaraid server...
When you say Avago won't connect to MR server
Are you talking about MSM application in windows ?
If you are then don't worry about that application not connecting
As long as you can see the drives/array in Widows your set
You can play with the array in the LSI BIOS at boot

kruuth

Jul 4, 2022
Ok well not sure what's happening but it works then the drive vanishes, with the same firmware warning