Subnetting, Subnet Masks & vLans

Discussion in 'Networking' started by derian00, Oct 10, 2018.

1. derian00

derian00 New Member

I've always just run everything in my 192.168.x.xxx network, all unmanaged switches, just everything, everywhere. I wanna learn more about selecting subnet masks, IP addresses (10.12.43.114 vs 192.168.1.114 for example), I wanna learn the difference between a subnet and a VLAN, and how traffic can/cannot interact between VLANs/subnets. How to allow certain things between subnets/VLANs, and how to block others, and best practises in regards to subnets, VLANs, and firewall configs in their regard.

I have no idea where to begin, I was advised on Reddit (with very snarky remarks all around) to look into a CCNA in routing/switching, which I wouldn't mind doing. I could definitely see it being useful as my fulltime work in AV/Broadcast gains more and more IP based infrastructure, but I don't see myself having the time to do that much learning right now, and if it isn't clear from above, I have a lot to learn.

Any tips, resources, etc, highly appreciated, thanks.

2. sth

sth Active Member

3. WANg

WANg Active Member