PM863 FW File

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

paradoXXX

Apr 21, 2023
Shure, smart info is
Model : SAMSUNG MZ7KH1T9HAJR-00005
Firmware Version : GXT3003Q
Health Status : Normal
Remnant Media Wearout : 93%
Power-On Hours : 0

Photos in attach

Attachments

Reactions: mach3.2

mach3.2

Feb 7, 2022
Shure, smart info is
Model : SAMSUNG MZ7KH1T9HAJR-00005
Firmware Version : GXT3003Q
Health Status : Normal
Remnant Media Wearout : 93%
Power-On Hours : 0

Photos in attach
Your intuition is right.

PCB looks exactly like an SM863 and nothing like an SM883. Get your money back.

richard.dzavoronok

Jun 23, 2021
Thanks, I can confirm, that it works on PM863a 1.92tb with firmware GXT5204Q and reports correctly as GXT5404Q after fw upgrade.

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
Stock for PM863a attached. Tested, flash and work okay.
I flashed that firmware file successfully on one of my drives after I managed to wipe the unknown ATA password from it. That was on a drive I had wiped anyway though. Now I'm thinking of applying it to my other PM863a drive, but that one has data on it. Even if I have it backed up, restoring it would be quite time consuming.

Were you able to update the firmware without wiping the drive? I'm guessing that the answer is yes, but it would be nice to have it confirmed. :)

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
Yes, data will be intact.
Indeed it was. :)

Btw. I find it kind of interesting how Samsung has two tools (SSDManager and Samsung Magician DC) that appear very similar, yet ever so slightly different. They seem to store their configuration in the same place too, since SSDManager seemingly reconfigured Magician DC to not filter out non-Samsung drives. :D

truth_is_an_opinion

Oct 8, 2023
Just wanted to cross post for discoverability, I successfully updated an SM863 (MZ7KM960HAHP00D6, not the …D3 one) from firmware GB32 to GB57 at the cost of 256 reallocated sectors/blocks. The update fixed slow write speed (presumably the endurance management issue).

The other SMART information shows this came from the reserved blocks, so hopefully it’s a one-time thing and not a sign that more blocks will be lost. I’ll update in the future hopefully :)

Reactions: ano

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
Just found that there is a newer version of the Dell driver: `Samsung GC57 for model number(s) MZ7LM240HMHQ0D3, MZ7LM480HMHQ0D3, MZ7LM960HMJP0D3, MZ7LM1T9HMJP0D3 and MZ7LM3T8HMLP0D3. | Driver Details | Dell US` (`Serial-ATA_Firmware_W8FPW_WN64_GC57_A00.EXE`).

The page indicates that it is applicable to `MZ7LM3T8HMLP0D3`.

Would it also be applicable to the PM863a (`MZ7LM3T8HMLP-0005`, stock F/W: GXT5404Q)?
Quite possibly, yes. I don't know what firmware customizations Dell makes to their drives though, so I've been sticking to the generic Samsung firmware. :)

marchenko

Jan 13, 2024
Having troubles with my SM863 - MZ7KM1T9HAJM-0E005 - sector reading errors, kernel disconnects it by time.
Tried using trimmed dell's fw on my SM863 - fails at the end. fails with both hdparm and SSD toolkit.
Anyone has official FW for SM863 by chance?

bleomycin

Nov 22, 2014
*edit*
In case anyone from the future finds this I was successful with a different version of the Samsung DC Toolkit (Version 2.1.W.Q.0). I've uploaded the tool to archive.org to preserve it in case someone else needs it in the future: Samsung SSD DC Toolkit For Windows : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive.

WindowsTerminal_Wq9ge31lzD.png

*original problem*

Stock for PM863a attached. Tested, flash and work okay.
Thanks for posting this! I know this was a while ago but do you have any idea why my drive is refusing to accept the firmware? It's indicating it is the same Model as yours.

cmd_qHQmxa89zQ.png

Last edited:

mrpasc

Jan 8, 2022
Munich, Germany
Firmware seems to be the correct one, but for whatever reason Samsung SSD Manager does not recognise your disk as supported, see the „x“ in that column.
You could try other tools like hdparm or different Samsung enterprise tools (there are at least 2 versions available at Samsung website). Not sure if sg3-tools could be worth a try too.

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
Oh? Could be? That firmware was provided by @pimposh here: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/pm863-fw-file.18084/post-359451

In his screenshot his Model exactly matches mine so I'm a bit confused if that is the wrong firmware seeing as we seemingly have the same drive?
It seems the uploader simply named it wrong, because the filename is clearly incorrect. :) I downloaded it and compared checksums. I have flashed two of those drives with that firmware version (although not necessarily the same file). I flashed one with hdparm and one with Samsung's tool.

Could it be that it requires you to be on a newer firmware version before upgrading? If not, you should be able to flash it with hdparm since these drives will refuse to flash an incompatible image if I'm not mistaken. This is the command I used to flash my drive that I had to hardware glitch to bypass an unknown ATA password on a drive set to maximum security (meaning you can't secure erase it to remove the password):

Bash:
sudo hdparm --fwdownload firmware.bin --yes-i-know-what-i-am-doing --please-destroy-my-drive /dev/[sdX]
I don't remember which of the different versions of Samsung's enterprise tool I used for the other normal drive. I have 3 different Samsung tools. :D

Last edited:

pimposh

hardware pimp
Nov 19, 2022