Minisforum MS-01 Review The 10GbE with PCIe Slot Mini PC

• Thread starter Patrick Kennedy
  • Start date
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Great review - as expected, of course.

This this is just about perfect to finish the consolidation of my servers. Ordered the moment they went live on the Minisforum site. Really looking forward to getting mine.

SnJ9MX

Jul 18, 2019
Is the mentioned 28W idle with a completely barebones system? meaning just CPU, 2x memory sticks, and 1x nvme drive?

Shareef Jalloq

May 27, 2018
Some questions:

1. What hypervisors support P+E core?
  2. What's the performance of the CPU if you disable all E cores?
  3. Do Minisforum have a plan to ship an AMD version of this?
  4. What do you use to control Intel vPro? You mentioned it has a few IPMI like features but what are they and how are they exposed?

FingerBlaster

Feb 27, 2019
I'm really tempted to replace my old enterprise gear with a small cluster of these for my homelab, I'm just afraid to lose ecc support with next cloud which in use to backup all my photos.

Reactions: Brian Puccio

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
The Mediatek RZ616 Wi-Fi card is an odd choice but it can run in AP mode(*), which is something the Intel AX200/201/210 cards cannot do.

(*) with a caveat - unlike most true APs it can only enable one band at a time.

mach3.2

Feb 7, 2022
Looking at Intel's block diagram and the minisforum spec sheet, here's an educated guess.

CPU (16 lanes)
PCIe 4 x8 slot (8 lanes)
M.2 M key gen 4 x4 slot (4 lanes)
M.2 M key gen 3 x4 slot (4 lanes)

Chipset (PCIe3 12 lanes)
X710-DA2 (8 lanes)
I226-V (1 lane)
i2260-LM (1 lane)
M.2 M key gen 3 x2 slot (2 lanes)
M.2 E key slot

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
I noticed that the minisforum web page for this is already linking to the STH youtube video and featuring it very prominently. It's been two days since the review went up on STH.

Was this review in any way sponsored (hardware gifting) or did minisforum get a sneak peek at the video? (besides minisforum activity in the forums, of course)

UhClem

just another Bozo on the bus
Jun 26, 2012
NH, USA
Looking at Intel's block diagram and the minisforum spec sheet, here's an educated guess.
Chipset (PCIe3 12 lanes)
X710-DA2 (8 lanes)
More likely 4 lanes. (which is more than sufficient for full 2-port bandwidth)
I don't believe that this chipset (or, in fact, any in last 5+ years) allows more than x4 for any root port. [i'm very interested to hear of an exception]

@mach3.2 , you're probably thinking: If x4 (Gen3) lanes is more than enough, why did Intel design the chip for x8 lanes? Well, Intel doesn't make simple mistakes--so think a little more. :)
=====
[of course, INTC has made a few BIG mistakes.]

Reactions: mach3.2

mach3.2

Feb 7, 2022
I don't believe that this chipset (or, in fact, any in last 5+ years) allows more than x4 for any root port. [i'm very interested to hear of an exception]
In that case I wouldn't be surprised to learn it's attached to one of the CPU's x4 port instead of the chipset, since one of the supposed CPU NVMe slot is gen 3 instead of 4.

vxspiritxv

Jan 11, 2024
I ordered on the 10th. If I remember right I saw a ship date of Jan 20th, nearly had a heart attack looking at the site now and it saying March (I'm moving in March). Googled a bit and looks like pre Jan 15th are not affected by the new date. Anyways looking forward to playing with it.
1705598891808.png

My setup will be 64gigs linked by STH youtube. I didn't see anything on if it supported bifurcation, but if it does, great 2 extra m.2 slots, if not, ok 1 extra m.2 slot. I went with GLOTRENDS PA41 Quad M.2 card. Also purchased MZQL215THBLA-00A07 15tb U.2 :cool: biggest & cheapest 7mm u.2 drive I could find.

Software wise, I'll be running proxmox with plex (on hardware, don't want to bother with passthrough for quicksync) and samba, and a bunch of VMs for anything else, pfsense, unifi, whatever else I need. Primary functions, Router, NAS, and plex server.

Last edited:

ViciousXUSMC

Nov 27, 2016
Perhaps someone could build a rack mount for 3D printing.:)
Would look relaly nice next to my QSW-3216R-8S8T.

I am just not sure about the ventilation of this, I see it has top holes but also front/back.
If this was on a rack as a 1u unit with something above it,it might block ventilation?

ms264556

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
ms264556.net
I wanted to tweak the fan curves (the defaults are very peaky - the constant change of pitch was distracting me).

After playing around in BIOS, I found a Windows Fan Control app on GitHub which auto-detected everything and seems to have a beautiful amount of tweakability.

fan_control_ms01.png

If anyone has an even better suggestion then let me know. It would also be great to know if there's something available for Linux, so I can implement the same in Proxmox.

Reactions: MiniKnight