Maximum Distance Between Workstation and RAID Server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Ultra

Jan 2, 2016
yes absolutely, plan for this setup is simply a direct connection (using an 8-10m cable) between the controller (in the workstation) and the expander (in the RAID server)...

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
Since you already have your plan in place, I would do something like these for an easy and quick solution, we use these chassis all the time:

http://www.pc-pitstop.com/sas_cables_enclosures/scsas156g.asp

I would do a pair and you can daisy chain the units. Easy, no dinking around. Just slide in drives and go. If you need to do writes, don't forget to get a battery write cache to keep performance high.

Reactions: MiniKnight

Diavuno

I'm watching this thread!

I have a video company I support, they just started shooting 4k mid last year. Currently the workstations have 4x raid 0 with 500gb Intel ssd. Combined with a 10GBE to the file server across the office it works pretty well. They do occasionally need to copy things over wait a few minutes then play. (When working with full image frames)

Ultra

Jan 2, 2016
I'm +1 in for Patrick's and @Blinky 42 idea. Swapping long external SAS for IB/ 40GigE is not that much more expensive.
well, maybe I'm looking at the wrong prices or at the wrong parts required... ;-)

but right now, it's 80-100 bucks (long SAS cable with converters) vs. 1000 bucks (40G setup in at least the RAID server and the single workstation)... (like I said, the current long cable RAID server setup doesn't need a mobo, CPU or RAM)... quite the cost difference for something not needed at the moment, or maybe never needed.

maybe somebody can list the exact 40G parts needed to get an actual accurate cost estimate... 40G ethernet cards, 40G switch, cables etc

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
Since this can be point-to-point, you can skip the switch.

Here, this is a quick comparison. Look at the tabs for NAS vs DAS. The document has full world edit rights so others, feel free to comment/edit ;).

video storage system - Google Sheets

I did this quick so not best prices or configs, but ballpark. May have forgotten a few things too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ultra and T_Minus

Ultra

Jan 2, 2016
40Gb is not too bad price wise, $620 for cards & modules + ~$125 for 20M of OM4 8 strand MPT for 40Gb point-to-point

The QSFP+ modules are available new for $130
Mellanox MC2210411-SR4 Compatible 40GBASE-SR4 QSFP+ Transceiver -Fiberstore and even cheaper on ebay

$180 for single port Connect-X3
IBM Mellanox ConnectX-3 VPI QSFP FDR14/40Gbe HCA 00W0039 - 00W0037 MCX353A-FCBT

or $250 on for a dual port
Mellanox MCX354A-FCBT FDR 56.6Gb/s INFINIBAND + 40GbE HCA CARD CONNECTX-3 CX354A
What is the transceiver for ? Is it for actually enabling 40G or is it only needed for long distance 40G connections ?

In other words: for a short connection of 10m or less, do all end point devices need a transceiver + the card ?

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
What is the transceiver for ? Is it for actually enabling 40G or is it only needed for long distance 40G connections ?

In other words: for a short connection of 10m or less, do all end point devices need a transceiver + the card ?
The transceivers have the lasers & recievers in them to work with the fiber cables. There are different types of transceivers to support different distances and fiber types.

For short distances, you can use direct attach cables. You can get QSFP+ DAC cables for short distances, usually < 10M (similar limitations to the SAS cables). You can also get QSFP+ to SFP+ breakout cables to convert from a 40Gb port to 4x 10Gb ports, assuming it is supported on your card. There are fiber and direct-attach variants of the breakout cables.

Ultra

Jan 2, 2016
@ Blinky42: thanks !

is there a spec that states at what distance receivers are needed ?
or how is one gonna figure this out ?

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
@ Blinky42: thanks !

is there a spec that states at what distance receivers are needed ?
or how is one gonna figure this out ?
IEEE 802.3ba is the set of standards afaik, but each vendor implemented things before the standards were in place.

This pdf from Arista has a short summary table. https://www.arista.com/assets/data/pdf/40G_FAQ.pdf
Cisco has a nice page with a fuller list and descriptions of BiDi and other items you will see in telco and carrier environments Cisco 40GBASE QSFP Modules Data Sheet And all the other vendors have similar data (ex: Juniper with Interface Specifications for SFP, SFP+, and QSFP+ Transceivers for the QFX Series - Technical Documentation - Support - Juniper Networks .. just google for "qsfp+ transceiver")

Short version is for <100m you are going with -SR4 optics with multi-mode fiber (MMF). Between 100m and 1km you have a few different selections depending on the vendors you are using for NIC's/switches, frequently a ~300m version. 1km and more you are working with single-mode fiber (SMF) and have options for 4 pairs of fiber or one pair with multiple wavelengths or even a single fiber, each for increasing amounts of $ (but less $ on fiber).

The IEEE group tried to keep the naming scheme of -SR and -LR consistent across 10/40/100Gb with
S = Short Reach (100m)
L = Long Reach (10km)
E = Extended Long Reach (40km)
More in http://www.ieee802.org/3/ba/BaselineSummary_0908.pdf