LGA 1700 Alder Lake "Servers"

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
This might be a potential UDIMM:
memory for Precision Workstation 3660, just LGA1700 desktop processors, don't need real ECC.
like others they mean the on Die ECC of DDR5

Carnassial

Jan 20, 2017
Do you really need full ECC? DDR5 already have on die ECC. You just don't get reporting. Signal error during transit should never happen unless you're rubbing a magnet over the traces... or the motherboard/CPU is failing.
If you're just worried about single event bit-flip errors when running 24/7, on-die ECC is enough.

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
those server boards do not work without.
the on DIE ECC is required for properly working(think about rowhammer)
For lga1700 i assume they will all work without ecc.
the SM board is tested here with consumer non ecc ddr5 chips, and the ddr4 board from gigabyte also has non ecc chips in their qvls.

Kiririn

Apr 7, 2022
Do you really need full ECC? DDR5 already have on die ECC. You just don't get reporting. Signal error during transit should never happen unless you're rubbing a magnet over the traces... or the motherboard/CPU is failing.
If you're just worried about single event bit-flip errors when running 24/7, on-die ECC is enough.
I don’t care too much about ‘cosmic ray’ style bit flips, as you say on-die ECC is fine for that.

I will always buy full ECC after having data loss events where a stick gradually went bad. I am surprised how well a PC can limp along with bad memory, while hosing data. Full ECC will report before a bad stick destroys data. On-die won’t do much as failure is usually multi bit errors

It’s worth the extra hassle and money to never again have to manually check backups to find how far back my files are corrupted when this kind of disaster event occurs

Last edited:
Reactions: Stephan and tjk

rootshell

Jan 10, 2021
I just have a bad feeling it may take 6-12 months before we even see DDR5 ECC RAM being in stock at resellers. I can barely find a couple announcements from Micron and Teamgroup and a couple others that announce they're working on DDR5 ECC offerings.
Nothing for sale anywhere i can find regardless of price, not even out of stock placeholders.

TBH - getting real sick of waiting. Been waiting for over a year now. I may hop over to Team Red, or go bargain hunting for Team Blue.

Kiririn

Apr 7, 2022
I just have a bad feeling it may take 6-12 months before we even see DDR5 ECC RAM being in stock at resellers. I can barely find a couple announcements from Micron and Teamgroup and a couple others that announce they're working on DDR5 ECC offerings.
Nothing for sale anywhere i can find regardless of price, not even out of stock placeholders.

TBH - getting real sick of waiting. Been waiting for over a year now. I may hop over to Team Red, or go bargain hunting for Team Blue.

This explains why ECC is taking longer - all ddr5 currently on sale is effectively beta hardware

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
was about to order the supermicro board but then realized cpu and ram is rotated for bottom to top airflow sigh. how did they not do it front to back when thats standard for desktop and only used for rack builds

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
The SM W680 motherboards share similar PCB. Likely those boards are for workstations or SMB pedestal servers.

Did some thinking and honestly not holding my breath for these for a while. I had looked into buying Intel C246 (difficult to buy), C256 (have yet to see a board in the wild), ASRock X470 boards are nearly impossible to buy. I have never seen their B550 boards even listed. This is even before DDR5 ECC UDIMMs only getting paper launches. Perhaps the supply chain issues are impacting supply, but I think I’ll have to play with used stuff for the next year or so.

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
Even super micros own workstations are front to back cases though.
Unfortunately there's no 5ghz+ xenon's or is go that route as well.

May 20, 2020
I picked up one of the X13SAE-F boards to build a CFD solver for work. Only hiccup so far is the 1Gbit LAN disappeared (from BIOS and device manager), but a cold reboot fixed it. Running a 12900k and watercooling since these will see sustained high CPU usage. Board is revsion 1.02. Just using regular Crucial DDR5 (2x32GB), no extra ECC.

I've confirmed the out of box BIOS settings allow 24/7 241W CPU usage. I don't think I got a very good chip, it rarely hits any cores at 52x multiplier, but it'll do 49x all P core happily.

Our niche CFD software is only Win 10 approved and it scales poorly past 8 cores, so this seemed a good choice. I have E cores disabled while I run benchmarks on the CFD software.

Anyway, it'll be in testing for the next few days. If you have any questions or things for me to try, please reply.

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
cool, iam also waiting for the same board and pairing it with the KS variant, can you set memory speeds over 4800?

juma

Apr 14, 2021
I picked up one of the X13SAE-F boards to build a CFD solver for work. Only hiccup so far is the 1Gbit LAN disappeared (from BIOS and device manager), but a cold reboot fixed it. Running a 12900k and watercooling since these will see sustained high CPU usage. Board is revsion 1.02. Just using regular Crucial DDR5 (2x32GB), no extra ECC.

I've confirmed the out of box BIOS settings allow 24/7 241W CPU usage. I don't think I got a very good chip, it rarely hits any cores at 52x multiplier, but it'll do 49x all P core happily.

Our niche CFD software is only Win 10 approved and it scales poorly past 8 cores, so this seemed a good choice. I have E cores disabled while I run benchmarks on the CFD software.

Anyway, it'll be in testing for the next few days. If you have any questions or things for me to try, please reply.
Any chance you have Solidworks and could run the SPECapc benchmark?

May 20, 2020
Any chance you have Solidworks and could run the SPECapc benchmark?
We do have solidworks, but I'd need to install a video card (our CFD solver application does not require a video card - just using the integrated graphics). I don't have any pro graphics cards laying around, only a 1080GTX. Would the results still be meaningful?

May 20, 2020
cool, iam also waiting for the same board and pairing it with the KS variant, can you set memory speeds over 4800?
The spec sheet only advertises 4400Mhz, so I highly doubt it, but next time I can get into the BIOS I'll check (running an 8 hour long test now).

juma

Apr 14, 2021
We do have solidworks, but I'd need to install a video card (our CFD solver application does not require a video card - just using the integrated graphics). I don't have any pro graphics cards laying around, only a 1080GTX. Would the results still be meaningful?
Ah, probably not then. Most of the tests are graphics related and it doesn't let you run the CPU tests by themselves. Thanks though.

mirrormax

Apr 10, 2020
As long as it boots or should be fine, will never hit it with full load. Can always change to a K if it doesn't work.