LGA 1700 Alder Lake "Servers"

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tjk

Mar 3, 2013
I know some of the bigger hosting companies like OVH and Hetzner are building their own Alder Lake servers, just curious if anyone is aware of any company offering pre-built systems around the 12900k/Alder Lake procs?

Desktop class CPU, I know...special use case where I'm OK not having a server class architecture around a bunch of these if I can get them custom built.

Last edited:

rootshell

Jan 10, 2021
So are we thinking that 12th gen Core + W680 MB is the new workstation platform, or is there going to be a Xeon W-1400 series CPU as well? Seems like Intel is actually enabling full ECC support on Core with the W680 chipset. So what would the W-1400 series bring to the table then to differentiate it from Core, if it is still to be announced?

Also interesting that the SM W680 boards are published by SM and other sites listing 12th Gen Core CPU support, and not a mention of W-1400. Now if one of the MB OEMs would offer W680 with 10Gbps or 25Gbps SFP28 support embedded, I may have my new home server platform.

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
I find it hard to believe that Intel will allow even unofficial ECC support on the Core line. Intel has a tendency to continue the march towards segmentation, not consolidation. Well, I’ll believe it when I see it. It would be great though.

Personally I’m most excited to see how Alder Lake-N pans out (all E-core).

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
officialy: core i5 and up, but not the 'F' type SKUs (without iGPU)
check intel ark
Ok, I just checked a few processors again, and indeed you’re right, ARK specifies ECC support. That is amazing.

If the chipset support ends up being decent as well, I can see myself building a couple new servers this year on i5-12500 (prefer i5-12400 but it doesn’t specify ECC support there).

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
prefer i5-12400 but it doesn’t specify ECC support there
missed that SKU, right no ECC on 12400 , lacks vPRO too.

core i5 12400
GNA 3.0, DL Boost, Optane Memory Support, Speed Shift, Turbo Boost 2.0, Hyper-Threading, VT-x, VT-d, VT-x EPT, Intel 64, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, AVX, AVX2, Idle States, EIST, Thermal Monitoring, VMD, TDT, ISM, AES-NI, Secure Key, OS Guard, XD Bit, Boot Guard, MBEC, CET

core i5 12500
GNA 3.0, DL Boost, Optane Memory Support, Speed Shift, Turbo Boost 2.0, Hyper-Threading, Intel 64, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, AVX, AVX2, Idle States, EIST, Thermal Monitoring, VMD, vPro, vPro Enterprise Platform Eligibility, vPro Essentials Platform Eligibility, TDT, AMT, ISM, One-Click Recovery, Hardware Shield, AES-NI, Secure Key, OS Guard, TXT, XD Bit, Boot Guard, MBEC, CET, Total Memory Encryption - Multi Key, Total Memory Encryption, SIPP, VT-rp, VT-x, VT-d, VT-x EPT

Last edited:

PrimeXFN

Mar 4, 2019
Wow. Color me surprised too. I didn't even bother checking ARK first since Intel seemed to abandon ECC even for the i3s several generations back.

I agree that seemingly makes a Xeon W-1400 series effectively redundant, and that would indeed explain the lack of any Xeon references in the X13's specs and manual.

Oddly enough though, it makes me just a little bit sad. I liked using the E-2xxx and W-1xxx Xeons in lower-end builds.

rootshell

Jan 10, 2021
that seemingly makes a Xeon W-1400 series effectively redundant
The only thing I can think of as to why Intel may still release a W-1400 CPU would be for higher core count (> 16c), higher power CPUs beyond what Core i9 offers. No clue if that's in their plans, and really doesn't affect me personally since I'm more interested in lower TDP home server options. But then again, looking at the SM board specs, they're capped at 125W CPUs. So that would make me think 12th gen Core + W680 is the new workstation platform. Intel also has a new W680 chipset product page that doesn't mention anything about Xeon W.

Wondering with all of the chip and supply chain shortages, plus them being way behind vs. published roadmaps, maybe they just wanted to consolidate and simplify... one less headache/release to worry about, esp for Xeon W which probably isn't their bread and butter.

PrimeXFN

Mar 4, 2019
...or maybe AVX512 support, but somehow they'd have to work through the instruction set disparity between the P cores and E cores--or eschew the E cores entirely.

Reactions: unwind-protect

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
no Impi on those boards. just vPro

Chris
Sorry. Should of mentioned that.

I find vPro is sufficient for the random times I need to connect, although ipmi is always better of course :)

Last edited:

rootshell

Jan 10, 2021
Interesting.

Kinda funny in 2022 that new workstation boards include multiple PCI slots. What are people actually using them for? Soundcards, modems? Seems a bit weird.

Reactions: bertie