LGA 1700 Alder Lake "Servers"

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

oncdoc

Jan 24, 2023
Per chance and I cannot see it listed. Is there a built-in graphics? And that way I can get a chip that does not have built-in GPU.

rootshell

Jan 10, 2021
Dropped in my 2x32GB Hynix DDR5 ECC UDIMM and 13700K to the Asus board and it booted right up! :)
Thanks for the report!

How would you say the initial build quality of the ASUS board looks compared to the SM?
And I assume the 13700K worked out of the box - no BIOS update or other pre-reqs? Good to hear - I have the same CPU.

Reactions: Alex_T0000

Alex_T0000

Aug 7, 2021
Can I ask where you ordered from?
Happy to share that mine arrived from PC-Canada here today - now trying to get my hand on a T series i5 / i7 - link here -> https://www.pc-canada.com/item/asus-pro-workstation-motherboard/pro-ws-w680-ace-ipmi

They have a US store too -> https://www.tech-america.com/item/asus-pro-workstation-motherboard/pro-ws-w680-ace-ipmi?lan=en

Board is in stock in both stores so happy hunting if you are in either one of these nations.

Also trying to solve the final question around ECC, already sent a note to ASUS Support to find out why the CPU compatibility matrix says ECC Support = No for all current LGA 1700 CPUs when the box says very clearly ECC support @ DDR5 - 4800 speed. I think I read elsewhere that ECC support arrived for another board after a BIOS update, so this system might stay unbuilt until I get an answer (happy to share here once I have one).

Alex_T0000

Aug 7, 2021
I'm a bit more confident ordering these Kingston sticks over the Crucial Unbuffered ECC sticks, as Crucial claims theirs are incompatible (untested).

At least I can go back to Kingston and push for a return if they aren't compatible. Or at least I hope I can...
Yes saw the same when I was on Crucial's site too.

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013
Thanks for the report!

How would you say the initial build quality of the ASUS board looks compared to the SM?
And I assume the 13700K worked out of the box - no BIOS update or other pre-reqs? Good to hear - I have the same CPU.
I try not to judge a motherboard by its PCB color but the Asus board certainly looks nicer. About the only thing I can tell you so far that you couldn’t see from comparing photos is the Asus board weighs 1005g vs 725g for the X13SAE. And yes 13th gen supported out of the box.

Attachments

Reactions: copecetic

Alex_T0000

Aug 7, 2021
Dropped in my 2x32GB Hynix DDR5 ECC UDIMM and 13700K to the Asus board and it booted right up! :)
amazing! thank you for sharing! I think I missed the post - would you mind sharing the P/N's of the Hynix modules you got working on the Pro WS W680 ACE board?

Ahh it's okay I think I got it - the Hynix P/N is -> Hynix HMCG88MEBEA Memory 32GB DDR5 4800MHz UDIMM MEM-DR532L-HL01-EU48

Last edited:
Reactions: Weapon and oncdoc

oncdoc

Jan 24, 2023
Would this memory work with the w680 board?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Would this memory work with the w680 board?

the crucial yes
the kingston: i would be carefully with XMP 1.35Volts non Jedec stuff.

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013
I looked back and found a screenshot of my X13SAE and it did show ECC as enabled in Memtest, hmm

mr-rx-bs

Nov 10, 2022
@Weapon - In Linux, I get this output on an ASRock x470du + 3700X with ECC DIMMs:

Code:
root@pve:~# dmidecode --type 16
# dmidecode 3.3
Getting SMBIOS data from sysfs.
SMBIOS 3.3.0 present.

Handle 0x000D, DMI type 16, 23 bytes
Physical Memory Array
    Use: System Memory
    Error Correction Type: Multi-bit ECC
    Maximum Capacity: 128 GB
    Error Information Handle: 0x000C
    Number Of Devices: 4

Reactions: Alex_T0000

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013
dmidecode --type 16

is what you type in to the terminal? I have limited linux experience

mr-rx-bs

Nov 10, 2022
dmidecode --type 16

is what you type in to the terminal? I have limited linux experience
That's right. "dmidecode -t memory" may be of interest as well. If you're not root in a terminal, type "sudo -i" (use your password) or "su -" (use root's password) to become root.

Reactions: Weapon

saf1

Nov 27, 2022
SM Support lied to you.

It took way to long to figure it out, and I'm kind of embarrassed it took as long as it did to do so. But I found a simple trick to get a HBA to work in slot 4. Put a different adapter in slot 7 first. Don't have or need for another card? Then put your HBA in slot 7.

<rant>
This WTF-type functionality is just last in a long list of disappointments I've had with my X13SAE-F. I've gone from excited to buy it to pretty disgusted with it's overall quality, design, and support. My original board was defective, although was replaced without issue. At the time, it wasn't mentioned anywhere that a 12th gen CPU was required to flash the BIOS to support 13th gen CPUs. It also only stated that bios 2.0 was required to support 13th gen CPUs, but failed to mention that 2.0 wasn't even released.

The IMPI is slow, major options aren't available that are available with other product lines. No flashing of the BIOS, only the BMC firmware. Many screens have no usable information, or of very limited value. The only thing that's of any real use is the remote KVM. Even that though is a PITA to use. Typing it in frequently acts like a key is stuck even if you barely tapped a key, or unresponsive for several seconds as if you never pressed a key. If you're lucky, both happen and you get nothing followed by several dozen letters, numbers, backspaces, etc. as if you never pressed the key...I've noticed is buggy, requiring physical access to correct some issues.

Kiririn was being nice with his comments regarding the fan speed control. Compared to any "gamer" or "enthusiast" grade board I've used in probably the last decade, it's fan control options are absolute shit.

The board is very clearly NOT a server-grade board, but it's also very clearly not a workstation-grade board either. I'd quit a job if I was given it as a workstation sitting on a desk in an office. I would be embarrassed if I was SuperMicro asking ~$450 for this. I'm even more embarrassed to say that I paid that. But even now several months later, there's still not a readily available option that supports 12/13th gen CPUs and ECC memory.
</rant>
With regards to SM support maybe they don't know or care? /shrug - that is just what they told me in my ticket. I'm sort of stuck with this board at the moment as I can't even get it returned to try something different.

I do have the LSI card in Slot 07 (closest to the CPU) and a Nvidia card in Slot 04. No matter what I do when I enter bios, then the LSI card, I can't see any drives other than a single. On top of that when I try to use the SATA ports I can only see a single 8 TB WD Red drive. It doesn't see my WD 10 or 16 TB drives even if I use the same port and cable(s).

The only thing I've not done that SM asked me to do is reflash the bios. I've tried to create a freedos USB stick but I can't seem to boot into it. So I've given up.