LGA 1700 Alder Lake "Servers"

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

saf1

Nov 27, 2022
Yeah - I guess I'm in denial as I didn't do enough research on the board to see if it can accommodate more storage. I have 12 drives I needed to move and it appears this is limited to whatever the SATA can see. Will be interesting if I have to return motherboard and memory.

On the flip side Supermicro is great to work support with.

Almighty

Oct 27, 2019
I have an LSI 9400-16i in the 16x slot on the X13SAE-F and it finds both serial attached sata3 ssd drives and my 846 24 port expander, accessible through BIOS EFI menu. I don't need to boot from any of these so haven't tried (booting from nvme).

I also did a BIOS update on the LSI from within Linux while in the x16 slot.

saf1

Nov 27, 2022
I have an LSI 9400-16i in the 16x slot on the X13SAE-F and it finds both serial attached sata3 ssd drives and my 846 24 port expander, accessible through BIOS EFI menu. I don't need to boot from any of these so haven't tried (booting from nvme).

I also did a BIOS update on the LSI from within Linux while in the x16 slot.
Wonder what the difference is between the two cards outside the ports. I took a quick look and the 9300-8i says it is a PCIe 3.0 HBA whereas the one you are using, LSI 9400-16i says it is a PCIe 3.1.

I am booting from m.2 slot and not from the card. I've tried both x16 slots with the same issue. I wonder if it could be power supply related.

Almighty

Oct 27, 2019
Wonder what the difference is between the two cards outside the ports. I took a quick look and the 9300-8i says it is a PCIe 3.0 HBA whereas the one you are using, LSI 9400-16i says it is a PCIe 3.1.

I am booting from m.2 slot and not from the card. I've tried both x16 slots with the same issue. I wonder if it could be power supply related.
Doubt it's PSU related. Maybe BIOS config? Or maybe the card you have doesn't support EFI?

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
Maybe card is missing EFI image, and/or only has legacy BIOS image. On my 2308 controllers its sas2flash which lets you check. So sas3flash or something that supports your cards. On my Asrock Rrack 3647 boards I also couldn't for the life of it make the EFI image activate and show me something. Only thing working was to set CSM in BIOS to on and set it to also run legacy BIOS ROMs.

Almighty

Oct 27, 2019
Maybe card is missing EFI image, and/or only has legacy BIOS image. On my 2308 controllers its sas2flash which lets you check. So sas3flash or something that supports your cards. On my Asrock Rrack 3647 boards I also couldn't for the life of it make the EFI image activate and show me something. Only thing working was to set CSM in BIOS to on and set it to also run legacy BIOS ROMs.
X13SAE-F has no CSM, and I wonder if any W680 has CSM.

Almighty

Oct 27, 2019
Also worth noting, I have both x16 slots filled, one with the 9400-16i (EFI), and another with an Intel X710 OCP+PCIe adapter (EFI).

bambi123

Oct 12, 2022
I was not able to boot successfully into FreeDos / USB to check. I tried several times building USB drive and I can't boot into from the boot menu. It doesn't see it. I then tried through the EFI shell to run sas2flash but it gave an odd error so gave up on that.

I moved the card to my Windows desktop and ran the sas2flash windows and saw the card, verified it was in IT mode, also updated firmware then moved back to the X13sae with no luck. Windows reboot allowed me to control-c and access the LSI card. So I know that is good.

The problem for me seems to be hard drive related which I haven't seen. This is for home use by my current NAS server, Supermicro X11SSH-CTF with its onboard controller never had this problem. The odd part is I can take a drive that the X13 doesn't see, take a drive out of the current ZFS pool, and it sees it.

I'm not sure if it is something I'm doing (very possible) or if the board is borked. That may not matter I guess in the end since support says I can't use the LSI card in the PCIe x16 slot. I assumed, incorrectly, that it would be backward compatible but maybe it isn't. Not sure what option I have not that I can see other disks anyway.

Edit: I did not try and install Windows server. I could try that and see if that does anything. Not sure which one I can try via trial as I do not run it. I will take a look and see if that will do anything. Windows 2016 or 19?
I do not have that exact RAID card, but my HighPoint 4520 which is also an PCIE-2 x8 like yours and I had the same kind of issue, it only works in the 1st x16 slot and not in the 2nd x16 slot. I suspected it was due to how the bifurcation works on them 2 slots and trying to use an very old PCIE2 card.

Regardless it has not caused a problem, and everything works ok with the RAID card.

Almighty

Oct 27, 2019
Anyone been considering an i5-13500, i7-13700, or i9-13900 non-K cpus that were just released? I am trying to determine if the power savings is worth it vs the K variant, especially considering we can't overclock on the K cpus with most W680 mbs.

saf1

Nov 27, 2022
Thank you all for comments, feedback, suggestions. I do see the LSI card in the BIOS now after some help here. However it still only shows up one drive. I also swapped the PCIe slot but that didn't change anything.

LSI Card->Cable-1 drive, visible
LSI Card->Cable-2 drives, 1 drive visible
LSI Card->2 cable connections (each is 4 port I guess)-2 drives, 1 drive visible

Just to rule it out I'm going to order a seasonic power supply. While this one, evga, is new and unopened maybe it isn't enough or it is bad. The fact a few of you are running cards leads me to believe I messed something up or the board/power supply is bad. I know the drives are good as I'm replacing 1 drive at a time in my other system. Each replacement is 20 hours resliver...

Almighty

Oct 27, 2019
Thank you all for comments, feedback, suggestions. I do see the LSI card in the BIOS now after some help here. However it still only shows up one drive. I also swapped the PCIe slot but that didn't change anything.

LSI Card->Cable-1 drive, visible
LSI Card->Cable-2 drives, 1 drive visible
LSI Card->2 cable connections (each is 4 port I guess)-2 drives, 1 drive visible

Just to rule it out I'm going to order a seasonic power supply. While this one, evga, is new and unopened maybe it isn't enough or it is bad. The fact a few of you are running cards leads me to believe I messed something up or the board/power supply is bad. I know the drives are good as I'm replacing 1 drive at a time in my other system. Each replacement is 20 hours resliver...
Can you try a different LSI card or cable? Really doubt it's a power supply, especially if new, but weird things happen!

saf1

Nov 27, 2022
Can you try a different LSI card or cable? Really doubt it's a power supply, especially if new, but weird things happen!
Unfortunately I do not have one to try. I can't even borrow from my current server as the X11SSH is using the onboard controller. Server works great but I needed more compute (family really loves the Plex option of watch together) and a PCI slot to add a Nvidia Quadro.

Again thank you everyone for being a sounding board. Great help and with it I was able to see the card in the bios. So some progress :D

ttvd

Jan 9, 2021
Canada
Why can’t supermicro list compatible cpus, like asrock. I am trying to figure out if 12500T or 12600T is going to work in X13SAZ-F .

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Why can’t supermicro list compatible cpus, like asrock. I am trying to figure out if 12500T or 12600T is going to work in X13SAZ-F .
  • 12th Generation Intel® Core™ i9/i7/i5/i3/Pentium/Celeron Processor, Single Socket LGA-1700 supported, CPU TDP supports Up to 125W TDP

Reactions: RolloZ170

WingmanNZ

Oct 16, 2018
Anyone been considering an i5-13500, i7-13700, or i9-13900 non-K cpus that were just released? I am trying to determine if the power savings is worth it vs the K variant, especially considering we can't overclock on the K cpus with most W680 mbs.
I have been looking at getting the i7-13700 or the i9-13900 to pair with X13SAE-F motherboard. Not sure which one yet, but I have been leaning towards the 13700 for power/cost reasons. What about you?

Kiririn

Apr 7, 2022
Got a 13700K up and running in X13SAE-F. I used 2 sticks of this ECC RAM, which turned out to be Kingston KSM48E40BS8KM-16HM

Observations so far:
  • VRM capable of maxxing out an air cooler, once power limits adjusted. If VRM temperature sensor can be trusted, they run remarkably cool (50c under load in a sound dampened aka poorly ventilated case)
  • Seeing some IPMI crashes on S3 sleep, seems to lose sensor information. Sometimes resulting in spurious loud CPU temperature alarm, and sometimes resulting in fans stuck at low speed. (Worked around by resetting BMC on S3 wake)
  • Fan curves are not good (functional but annoying) and no way to adjust. Will probably look into scripting something via IPMI or buying a USB fan controller
  • Thermal throttling results in beeps/alarms, even at quite reasonable temperatures. (Worked around by removing JD1 jumper)
  • IPMI does not support shared mode - must use the dedicated NIC
  • Provisioned the AMT but could not get access to it from outside the machine itself, and power control did not work. First time using AMT so could be my mistake
Overall a decent board, workarounds possible for all issues

Last edited: