Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Does anyone here want to trade their X9DRD-7LN4F-JBOD for one of my X9DR7-LN4F boards? The difference between the two is the DR7 has 2 x16 slots, an inverse HBA layout(SAS ports on bottom instead of on top), and the LSI 2308 is in IR mode by default(can easily be flashed to IT mode). Looking to trade since I find the "optimal" fan speed to not be that low compared to the JBOD boards. Updated the BMC as well.

hsben

Sep 10, 2014
Anyone have a good experience with getting a decent discount on multiple cpus? I need 8 and not having luck getting like 10$ off per cpu(probably unrealistic).

arkuatic

Apr 30, 2013
Does anyone here want to trade their X9DRD-7LN4F-JBOD for one of my X9DR7-LN4F boards? The difference between the two is the DR7 has 2 x16 slots, an inverse HBA layout(SAS ports on bottom instead of on top), and the LSI 2308 is in IR mode by default(can easily be flashed to IT mode). Looking to trade since I find the "optimal" fan speed to not be that low compared to the JBOD boards. Updated the BMC as well.
Would be interested in this except I can't seem to get my board to respond to powering jumpers. Bought the JBOD "new" but the jumpers just don't seem to respond to being powered on. Went as far as replacing the every component.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Would be interested in this except I can't seem to get my board to respond to powering jumpers. Bought the JBOD "new" but the jumpers just don't seem to respond to being powered on. Went as far as replacing the every component.
Are you talking about the FPIO headers for getting the system to power on from a button?

arkuatic

Apr 30, 2013
Are you talking about the FPIO headers for getting the system to power on from a button?
Yes, cannot seem to get the pins to activate through case connector nor metal contacts on JF1 pins 1 & 2. Manual says something about a proprietary connector but I might be misunderstanding something.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
It's not a proprietary connector they just mean that the pinout is most "compatible" with Supermicro chassis since the JF1 header has some additional stuff like overheat-indicator and other stuff like LAN activity which most regular consumer cases don't have.

It should work with any 16 pin supermicro front panel connector or with any standard front panel cabling. Try flipping the power button cable connector on the pins, I was having issues with some of the LEDs not working until I flipped the front panel cables around. It definitely should work if you're sufficiently bridging the contacts with some kind of metal. Do any of the LEDs on the board light up when you have power to it like the IPMI heartbeat indicator? IIRC the JBOD board has a couple of green LEDs that should be lit or blinking if there's power.

arkuatic

Apr 30, 2013
It's not a proprietary connector they just mean that the pinout is most "compatible" with Supermicro chassis since the JF1 header has some additional stuff like overheat-indicator and other stuff like LAN activity which most regular consumer cases don't have.

It should work with any 16 pin supermicro front panel connector or with any standard front panel cabling. Try flipping the power button cable connector on the pins, I was having issues with some of the LEDs not working until I flipped the front panel cables around. It definitely should work if you're sufficiently bridging the contacts with some kind of metal. Do any of the LEDs on the board light up when you have power to it like the IPMI heartbeat indicator? IIRC the JBOD board has a couple of green LEDs that should be lit or blinking if there's power.
The odd part is that the LEDM1(BMC) does blink properly and pins 7&8 (LED3) does light up blue when pins are contacted however I cannot seem to get pins 1 & 2 to properly contact at all. Currently away from home so I wouldn't be able to do any physical testing until the end of this week. Thanks for the advice though.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Do all SM boards have that fancy front panel on/off connector, that is to say do you need to do anything special to put a Xeon-D in a regular case ?

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
SM boards do not have any fancy front panel on/off connectors as far as I know...they use standard ground and positive schema with some additional headers in case your case has them...or if you're using SM chassis. Like LAN activity, overheat, etc.

bmc2

Feb 15, 2016
Just grabbed an R620 for $200 on eBay and a couple E5-2670s. Looks like I have a new compute node for openstack.

Reactions: Patrick

Dav

Jan 20, 2016
jelly because Americans get always all the server loot cheaper :p

As for the board i decided to just buy new , Asus Z9PA-D8C is the cheapest dual one i could find or I might just get the iKVM version

Last edited:

noths

Dec 9, 2015
Athens, Greece
I managed to get 2 of the ones deepdiscountservers sell, following info I read in this thread about contacting them for shipping cost to EU (Greece). I also bought this SM mobo (I 've been watching the seller for 3 months, waiting for this to be relisted) and I 'm going to build my next video editing workstation. I want to thank you all for the valuable info, this forum is a treasure.

Reactions: Patrick

kboxvegas

Feb 12, 2016
Looks like a nice board! Considering the onboard 10GbE Base-T, it's quite a good deal IMO.

Comparing a quad 1GbE card to a 10GbE (Base-T!!) device is kinda apples-to-oranges. That said, I'd bet that even a bit of airflow over the heatsink would be enough to keep temps under control; 12.5W really isn't a lot of heat to dissipate. Figure out a way to mount something that keeps (even a little bit of) air moving over the heatsink; it should be fine.
I ended up printing out a long 60mm to 30mm fan adapter that rests on top of the heatsink, this gets the temp down to 35c. It does block the two top slots but they not going to be used for the foreseeable future. If I do end up using those slots I will have to get a little more creative.

Weapon

Oct 19, 2013
Any have experience with the Dynatron R17 HSFs? They look pretty good for the price