Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
Some time back, I found a decent deal on BNIB Chenbro RM13604's for 65 dollars shipped, so I bought a few.

I took a bit of a gamble with the X9DRW (being "proprietary WIO"), and I was pleasantly surprised to see all the mount points line up.
How is the noise level under load? I would imagine rather loud with all the 40mm fans and two CPUs that get warm when they are working hard.

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
I put in an offer for 3 CPUS at $50/cpu. At that point I can't pass up deal and I'd get the rest of the kit to go along with this setup and upgrade my entire gaming rig. 2 for my primary rig, 1 for a server upgrade.

Why do I need 32cores to play Worlds of the Warcraft? Because More DOTs and DEEPESS. That's my logic. That's what I'm going with. Yessir.

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
I put in an offer for 3 CPUS at $50/cpu. At that point I can't pass up deal and I'd get the rest of the kit to go along with this setup and upgrade my entire gaming rig. 2 for my primary rig, 1 for a server upgrade.

Why do I need 32cores to play Worlds of the Warcraft? Because More DOTs and DEEPESS. That's my logic. That's what I'm going with. Yessir.
Did they accept at that price? I'm very on the fence as well...

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
Did they accept at that price? I'm very on the fence as well...
Still waiting. I doubt it, but you never know.

I may haggle them down from their reply whatever it is to see. If I get it sub $60 I'm going full bore with my plans to get everything ready for my new workstation build.

asintado08

Sep 16, 2014
Why are we only getting the procs? Where are the systems that this procs came from? Mobos are still a little bit expensive.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Me thinks that the availability of these processors for cheap is driving the cost of the boards thru the roof. Sellers know that if you buy the chip you gotta have the board to run them in. Not too long ago I scored a Super Micro X9DRD-7LN4F-JBOD for $199. Ain't gonna touch one for that now. Hopefully the boards will come back down. I have 2 extra processors waiting in hibernation.

asintado08

Sep 16, 2014
Im trying to remember the time when we got the 6100. IIRC, the CPUs flooded the market before the full systems.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
People have answered that question -- someplace in this insanely long thread.

Feb 8, 2016
Perhaps the seller would reveal the where, if they were asked. The speculation, far above, is google & FB upgraded.

The interesting question is what V2 processor replaces the E5-2670? When they EOL the systems both the E5 V2 and motherboards will be plentiful.

Why are we only getting the procs? Where are the systems that this procs came from? Mobos are still a little bit expensive.

Last edited:

mathab

Feb 15, 2016
First post in here :D

I've been reading this thread for a while now and finally I'm going to buy a pair of this processors, but getting a mobo has been a PITA, I'm from México so 99% of my options are from the US and get them shipped here, high prices+shipping+taxes make it harder for me to get one... but just today I found an Intel s2600cp motherboard at a reasonable price (arround 300) here in Mexico, what do you guys think of that motherboard?

The PC would just be a rendering-gaming workstation (3dsmax, revit, autocad) to upgrade from a 2500k @4.2Ghz. What makes me worry is that the pcie 3.0 16x is right below the left most cpu socket making it imposible to install a videocard in there (would interfere with the second cpu memory slots.. I think..

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Intel s2600CP is good board.
You didn't mention the video card that you'll be using.
I am not a gamer, but I am not aware that you will be hamper by not using pcie 3.0 16x

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
@mathab I think you'll be fine. Your card should extend in the other direction away from the memory. My GTX970 for example doesn't extend over the pcie slot in that direction at all.

Just measure the card you have now and make sure it doesn't have something wonky hanging off that way, but you should be good.

Also welcome to STH!

mathab

Feb 15, 2016
It would be a GTX 980, so I'll buy the MB :D Its my first xeon build so I'm really excited

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
So all of my parts came in and I got it all put together, I went with the following:

GIGABYTE GA-7PESH2
2x E5-2670 from DDS
8x8 ddr Ecc
2x CM 212 Evo's - Already had
Rosewill RSV-L4412 - Already had

I am currently letting it run a few passes in memtest86. The only problem I am having is related to the on-board dual Intel x540. That little copper heatsink on the motherboard is freaking HOT. It measured 44C with a ir probe with nothing even attached to the ports. Looking at the specs, the X540at2 has a TDP of 12.5w an a max temp of 55c, which seems excessive as I have an i-350 quad that uses 3.4w. I disabled them in the bios and after an hour the heatsink is still reading 39C. Due to the odd size and placement of the heatsink I don't think I could replace it. I am sure the nic is going to overheat as soon as I start transferring files. I could point a high performance 120mm fan at it and hope for the best but that just seems less than ideal. I am not sure what the best course of action is here.
I just bought the same board, and I'm waiting for it to shipped to me.
I can't tell exactly which heatsink it is from the pictures, but most of them look like you could run a small fan on them if it's getting too warm

Did you manage to find a way to cool it?