HGST 4TB SAS hard drives $60

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Hard Disk Sentinel - HDD health and temperature monitoring for me.
3 pass of surface test ( write then read ).
4tb disk takes about 2.5 days.
8-14 tb takes about more than 4 days.

Linux , I used Blinux 's badblock scripts.
I use 1 pass since I figure didn't want to stress it out more? lol.. yeah I got the same software for testing. good thing I do have sas card with 8 connectors so can get 8 drives tested at once,

Reactions: Samir

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Hard Disk Sentinel - HDD health and temperature monitoring for me.
3 pass of surface test ( write then read ).
4tb disk takes about 2.5 days.
8-14 tb takes about more than 4 days.

Linux , I used Blinux 's badblock scripts.
Even if you are primarily windows user, It's a fairly straight forward to have a Linux Live USB to use the bulk drive script. I've not bought drives in over a year but IIRC, 4TB ones do take about 60 hrs.

Also, I let the drives sit in my host in the off position for couple of days before starting the badblock/burn-in tests.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
That is probably not correct. All sellers have to now abide by sales tax laws of the various states. Before they were just ignoring them. It really should have been done a long time ago. A lot of brick and mortar companies were not able to compete on price because online stores skirted sales tax for years. And then 'use tax' was introduced for all the consumers of these 'tax free' transactions so they were supposed to report any purchases without tax and then remit the tax--yeah right. The consumers never did that. But businesses that didn't and that had an audit were hit hard with penalties.

Paypal even has to charge sales tax so there's not skirting taxes. Even though paypal is supposed to be a payment processor like visa or american express, they're assessing and collecting taxes. There's probably a legal reason for this, but technically that would also make paypal the seller of an item, which would mean they would be liable for a bad product versus the real seller. Really messy legal areas today...all this stuff should have been thought out first before everyone went crazy with it...
I looked into this a bit. I believe many of the states that cared about this issue worked together on the new internet sales tax law. there is a provision to excludes smaller sellers, basically if you make sales less than $100K or less than 200 transactions per year to the particular state, as a retailer outside that state, you don't have to collect state sales tax and submit the taxes to the state. however, the rule changes for marketplace platforms like eBay or Amazon, basically the rule treats the marketplace as the seller and the rule applies to all transactions via that marketplace, even if the actually seller is just selling one-off personal stuff from their attic for $5 and not operating as a business.

it's both a pro and a con for sellers/buyers. as a small seller, you might see decreased sales or need to reduce price due to the +10% in sales tax. as a larger seller, who would normally be required to keep track of all the sales tax for different states, if you sell through a marketplace exclusively, the marketplace simplifies the tax collection and does it on your behalf.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
I would have concerns buying a HDD that was Mfg in 2013 lol
Its just really depend on number of hours used and data written. I bought some back in 2018 that was made in 2013-4 and they have 24 hrs total time and 4TB written. And these are also enterprise drives that are supposed to last longer than regular consumer ones

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
Its just really depend on number of hours used and data written. I bought some back in 2018 that was made in 2013-4 and they have 24 hrs total time and 4TB written. And these are also enterprise drives that are supposed to last longer than regular consumer ones
Agreed. Power on hours and reallocated sectors are also gonna be some of the main stats you look out for.

Year of manufacture does not give you a real idea of power on hours. In the case of ssds, I believe there is an article on here where the STH team provide some stats for second hand enterprise ssds (power-on hours, total TBs written, remaing writes etc). Pretty much confirming that used enterprise ssds are a good deal.

Purchasing a used enterprise spinning drive is even more desirable in some cases as bad drives tend to throw up errors within the first few months of use (hence the burn-in and RMA if you buy brand new). Buying used (with smart stats known) is like hand picking your apples rather than buying them by the bag.

I'm well aware that there are many benefits to purchasing new and I too purchase new. Just my 2 cents perspective on used enterprise spinning drives.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
wondering what i should do . don't know if i am able to rotate 50TB of hdd space like that.... I can't go back to burning bd-r.... it just take too long to burn bd-r
Sounds like you need a second storage set. :D Yes, why miss all the deals because you have just one storage pool! Get a second! Live the STH life! :D

But seriously, I do use this running two different nas units built on different platforms to lessen the likelihood of a systematic crash taking down both. And then the usb backups into each of these, rotated and compared regularly. Pretty simple. :)

Optical is definitely the ultimate, and I wish WORM drive development kept up with the times as that in a jukebox was great. But unfortunately those days are gone. :(

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I looked into this a bit. I believe many of the states that cared about this issue worked together on the new internet sales tax law. there is a provision to excludes smaller sellers, basically if you make sales less than $100K or less than 200 transactions per year to the particular state, as a retailer outside that state, you don't have to collect state sales tax and submit the taxes to the state. however, the rule changes for marketplace platforms like eBay or Amazon, basically the rule treats the marketplace as the seller and the rule applies to all transactions via that marketplace, even if the actually seller is just selling one-off personal stuff from their attic for $5 and not operating as a business.

it's both a pro and a con for sellers/buyers. as a small seller, you might see decreased sales or need to reduce price due to the +10% in sales tax. as a larger seller, who would normally be required to keep track of all the sales tax for different states, if you sell through a marketplace exclusively, the marketplace simplifies the tax collection and does it on your behalf.
The problem is that a lot of the state/county/city laws still contradict the federal laws. Many cities require taxes remitted to anything sold to residents of the city, or the residents must file use tax for the items (most don't). Now, the problem is that every city has different rates, so the counties, and so are the states so it's a HUGE undertaking to know where and when you should be collecting and remitting taxes. I've done this before and it didn't matter if I sold just one part to one customer in a particular jurisdiction--they wanted their cut.

It's interesting the marketplaces are being treated as the national businesses they are with 'inventory partners' providing inventory on their platform. Since they collect the payment, take a cut, and pass on a bulk of the revenue to the 'seller' (who basically is just getting paid for their inventory contribution and a portion of the profit), it makes sense that they are treated as the seller. Now, what sucks about that deal is that while they are the seller, they are not responsible for any of the products sold and yet are in charge of the customer service which is basically 'customer is always right'.

Since all the taxes are coming to everyone at the same time, it really shouldn't affect prices as everyone's jumped the same percentage--the tax percentage. And since the percentage is based on the buyer vs the seller (should be anyways), the same company selling the same product from two different places at the same price should be on a level playing field.

There are companies that provide tax remitting services for those that have to do it in-house. You can also go without assistance as I did in a previous business, but it is a daunting task keeping up with all the different rates and making sure you're collecting the right amount. And then there's the monthly filings for all the remittance. It took me a good couple of hours every month and that was even with a spreadsheet and reports out of our point of sale system. Luckily, most of my customers were wholesale, so there wasn't that much to collect/remit, but you had to file each month forever, even if it was a zero filing, so that was upwards of 40 returns a month.

This whole system can be simplified to a great extent using the same systems that credit card companies use for their merchant and interchange fees. It's all done automatically and daily so there are no monthly filing issues. The same could be done for taxation--the federal government provides the tax information in an electronic format to every retailer required to collect tax. This format is standardized so that point-of-sale makers can quickly and easily update their systems with any new tax information. Location information is capture at the sale and the appropriate taxes are charged and collected. Each day at the close of business the totals are remitted to the federal government and reports are sent to the retailer to reconcile with their point of sale records. The Federal government distributes the payments electronically daily to each state, county, city that is supposed to get their money. And the federal government is in charge of reconciling with those that remit to, while the retailer simply has to reconcile with the federal government.

This entire process would be just like reconciling credit card batches like businesses do regularly so the burden on all businesses would be minimal, the federal government would be doing their job, and the states, counties, cities would be getting the money they're supposed to. Win-win-win.

Reactions: techtoys

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I would have concerns buying a HDD that was Mfg in 2013 lol
I wouldn't. Enterprise drives are another breed and sas are an even better breed. As long as they don't have too much use, I would say they would easily have 5 years in them before failure.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
I wouldn't. Enterprise drives are another breed and sas are an even better breed. As long as they don't have too much use, I would say they would easily have 5 years in them before failure.
well, the sas drives are a little inconvenient because there seems to be no USB dock for them. Unless someone knows of one and let me know? ;)

But the fact that they are sas might also make them cheaper when they get resold because most people don't buy them since they can't hook them up straight into most regular MB. sorta like why ecc ddr3 is cheaper than regular ddr3 ram...

I just wish there is something a lot bigger than the usual 25GB bd-r out there. I remember i used dvd-r for about 6 yr before moving to bd-r but it seems like the 25GB bd-r disc has no popular replacement for over 10 yr now. And of course things have only been getting bigger....

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
well, the sas drives are a little inconvenient because there seems to be no USB dock for them. Unless someone knows of one and let me know? ;)

But the fact that they are sas might also make them cheaper when they get resold because most people don't buy them since they can't hook them up straight into most regular MB. sorta like why ecc ddr3 is cheaper than regular ddr3 ram...

I just wish there is something a lot bigger than the usual 25GB bd-r out there. I remember i used dvd-r for about 6 yr before moving to bd-r but it seems like the 25GB bd-r disc has no popular replacement for over 10 yr now. And of course things have only been getting bigger....
I used to think that until I got a server--now I have plenty of docks. :D

Exactly. There's probably 2x sas drives for every sata one out there. Data centers are huge and there's only more of them coming.

I used removable storage as an archive medium during the 1990s--from the syquest drive, to the syjet, the jaz, cd-r, and eventually storage prices were just cheap enough that buying external drives was cheaper. But you also have to be redundant as all these can fail. 3-2-1 rule: 3 copies, 2 media, 1 off site. And then multiply this for even more protection. :)

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
I used to think that until I got a server--now I have plenty of docks. :D

Exactly. There's probably 2x sas drives for every sata one out there. Data centers are huge and there's only more of them coming.

I used removable storage as an archive medium during the 1990s--from the syquest drive, to the syjet, the jaz, cd-r, and eventually storage prices were just cheap enough that buying external drives was cheaper. But you also have to be redundant as all these can fail. 3-2-1 rule: 3 copies, 2 media, 1 off site. And then multiply this for even more protection. :)
I still have a syquest sparQ drive and 3 cartridges. wondering if they still work... unfortunately its a parallel port version which means i will have to dig out an old computer if i can even find one with parallel port. That was huge capacity of 1GB per cartridge back in 1999-2000

tommybackeast

Jun 10, 2018
I still have a syquest sparQ drive and 3 cartridges. wondering if they still work... unfortunately its a parallel port version which means i will have to dig out an old computer if i can even find one with parallel port. That was huge capacity of 1GB per cartridge back in 1999-2000
shame of you ! :) how can you call yourself a geek without still having a PC or laptop with 1) RJ11 port 2) Parallel Port 3) Serial Port 4) PS/2 for KB and mouse :)

Thanks for the syquest mention, I was thinking about them yesterday when someone mentioned Iomega, but could not recall the syquest name

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
The drives themselves were either ide or scsi, so if you have one of those controllers more easily accessible that might be your best bet. Of course, that would only work if the drive door wasn't on the enclosure and the enclosure was easily removable.

I have the Syjet 1.5, but haven't used it in years either. :(

Reactions: tommybackeast

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
shame of you ! :) how can you call yourself a geek without still having a PC or laptop with 1) RJ11 port 2) Parallel Port 3) Serial Port 4) PS/2 for KB and mouse :)

Thanks for the syquest mention, I was thinking about them yesterday when someone mentioned Iomega, but could not recall the syquest name
:D haha! You'd be surprised how many point of sale computers come with all of those, even today. :eek:

You saw the zip drive thread on reddit, didn't you...:eek:

Reactions: tommybackeast

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
i can't recall but i think you do also need some driver for the syquest to work? turn out i do have a dell optiplex 760 that has a parallel port ;) but it's running win10 right now so not sure howi will load the driver for sparQ ;(

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
i can't recall but i think you do also need some driver for the syquest to work? turn out i do have a dell optiplex 760 that has a parallel port ;) but it's running win10 right now so not sure howi will load the driver for sparQ ;(
The parallel port might need a driver to work, although I'm not sure how win10 even works with parallel ports, lol.

Drive support basically became native from win95, so if you can get the hardware to recognize I think you're home free!

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
The parallel port might need a driver to work, although I'm not sure how win10 even works with parallel ports, lol.

Drive support basically became native from win95, so if you can get the hardware to recognize I think you're home free!
win10 does support parallel port since i did install win10 on the dell