HGST 4TB SAS hard drives $60

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Since we are talking about 4TB SAS.
What is the going price ( including shipping ) for a 4TB SAS today?
I am in CA, since Oct 2019 , Ebay stared collected sales tax for CA resident, feels like a 8.5% price hike to me.

Reactions: Samir

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Since we are talking about 4TB SAS.
What is the going price ( including shipping ) for a 4TB SAS today?
I am in CA, since Oct 2019 , Ebay stared collected sales tax for CA resident, feels like a 8.5% price hike to me.
Funny thing is... a small local seller outside CA doesn't have to collect CA sales tax, but when they sell through eBay, eBay has to collect sales tax. Thanks to our politicians...

Buy something small from the out of state sellers you like, then establish direct relations and see if they'll sell you stuff directly via PayPal. Then there's no sales tax.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Used drives. How much folks are willing to pay today?

I looked at my ebay purchase history and paypal of 4tb sas.

July 2019

HUS724040ALS640 4TB HGST SAS 3.5" 7.2K 6Gb/s 64MB SAS
I paid $31 each shipped before 10% ebay bucks coupon for 16 drives.
Then I purchased 16 more drives from the seller directly at $30 each shipped.

zack$

Aug 16, 2018

July 2019

$30 a drive is still a pretty good deal today.

Here's $39 a drive: HGST 4TB Ultrastar 7K4000 HUS724040AL640

Seller known to give discounts to STH members in the past.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016

July 2019

that's excellent price. The last time I got 10 was for $470 a few yr back.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Ya'll take a lot more risks than I do buying Spinning drives, wow!

I feel safer buying used drives than buying refurbished unknowns... what kind of burn-in-test\etc are you performing on all these?
Do they have POH or is all this\smart wiped?

I'm not in the market, just trying to learn how you guys mitigate the risk buying so many "Refurbs" ??

The only refurbs I'm interested in are when I RMA a drive to the manufacturer and get it back, not a 3rd-party.
Seems the 3rd-party refurb companies on ebay have terrible reviews when I've looked in the past?

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Ya'll take a lot more risks than I do buying Spinning drives, wow!

I feel safer buying used drives than buying refurbished unknowns... what kind of burn-in-test\etc are you performing on all these?
Do they have POH or is all this\smart wiped?

I'm not in the market, just trying to learn how you guys mitigate the risk buying so many "Refurbs" ??

The only refurbs I'm interested in are when I RMA a drive to the manufacturer and get it back, not a 3rd-party.
Seems the 3rd-party refurb companies on ebay have terrible reviews when I've looked in the past?
I don't really trust "refurb" in the sense that I don't trust that the seller did anything special. but then again, i also don't trust manufacturer refurbs either, as I've received plenty RMA replacement drives that showed up with problems. i don't trust brand new drives either, as i've seen plenty of those with problems right out of the box. so, in the end, i trust no one... LOL... as long as they pass my burn-in testing, that's all i care about, new, refurb, used, rma refurb... don't matter.

as for burn-in, i use my script i mentioned here:

https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...-drive-testing-script-for-linux-on-sth.21511/

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
don't know yet. I've only been doing this for 2 yrs. i haven't had a chance to find out yet.... lol...
The first cd-r i burn in 1996 is still working flawlessly .... ;)
Thank you for the reply! I've had drives after about 3-4 years not cooperate for too much longer than copying the data off. Then they would have read errors and whatnot. :(

Oh yeah, my first CDs from the mid 1990s are reading pretty well too--especially the Mitsui Gold ones--they're like brand new. :)

Reactions: techtoys

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Funny thing is... a small local seller outside CA doesn't have to collect CA sales tax, but when they sell through eBay, eBay has to collect sales tax. Thanks to our politicians...

Buy something small from the out of state sellers you like, then establish direct relations and see if they'll sell you stuff directly via PayPal. Then there's no sales tax.
That is probably not correct. All sellers have to now abide by sales tax laws of the various states. Before they were just ignoring them. It really should have been done a long time ago. A lot of brick and mortar companies were not able to compete on price because online stores skirted sales tax for years. And then 'use tax' was introduced for all the consumers of these 'tax free' transactions so they were supposed to report any purchases without tax and then remit the tax--yeah right. The consumers never did that. But businesses that didn't and that had an audit were hit hard with penalties.

Paypal even has to charge sales tax so there's not skirting taxes. Even though paypal is supposed to be a payment processor like visa or american express, they're assessing and collecting taxes. There's probably a legal reason for this, but technically that would also make paypal the seller of an item, which would mean they would be liable for a bad product versus the real seller. Really messy legal areas today...all this stuff should have been thought out first before everyone went crazy with it...

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO

July 2019

I usually go off of what the current best price per TB is out there and then extrapolate for size. At $30/ea for 4TB, that's $7.5/TB and I think the cheapest I've ever bought drives out the door was around that price.

For new, if I can get close to $15/TB for enterprise drives, that's the same price as the easystore drives everyone falls all over themselves for when they're on sale, so that's a great deal imo.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016

Let see how much he will discount ;)

Thank you for the reply! I've had drives after about 3-4 years not cooperate for too much longer than copying the data off. Then they would have read errors and whatnot. :(

Oh yeah, my first CDs from the mid 1990s are reading pretty well too--especially the Mitsui Gold ones--they're like brand new. :)
Did you keep the drive that's filled with data in an array 24/7 even after you are done filling them up with data and not taking them out and stash them away? or did you fill and then disconnect like in a back up manner? What i am doing is keeping them in the array only long enough to fill them up with data (right now taking me about 3-4 months to fill a 4TB) then taking them out and storing them away to minimize time on. I also only write twice to them (1st time is surface test. 2nd time is the actual data with small amount of space editing (delete and overwrite but only a small amount in the time on)

I don't really trust "refurb" in the sense that I don't trust that the seller did anything special. but then again, i also don't trust manufacturer refurbs either, as I've received plenty RMA replacement drives that showed up with problems. i don't trust brand new drives either, as i've seen plenty of those with problems right out of the box. so, in the end, i trust no one... LOL... as long as they pass my burn-in testing, that's all i care about, new, refurb, used, rma refurb... don't matter.

as for burn-in, i use my script i mentioned here:

https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...-drive-testing-script-for-linux-on-sth.21511/
Any particular windows program you recommend? for a 4TB hdd i guess it would take pretty much at least 24 hrs to test out the whole surface write and read one cycle?[/QUOTE]

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Did you keep the drive that's filled with data in an array 24/7 even after you are done filling them up with data and not taking them out and stash them away? or did you fill and then disconnect like in a back up manner? What i am doing is keeping them in the array only long enough to fill them up with data (right now taking me about 3-4 months to fill a 4TB) then taking them out and storing them away to minimize time on. I also only write twice to them (1st time is surface test. 2nd time is the actual data with small amount of space editing (delete and overwrite but only a small amount in the time on)
I didn't use any of the drives in a 24/7 way, but just as archive drives (they were all mostly usb drives). But if I let them sit for a few years, one good read was all I typically get out of them. I'm sure the drive is actually fine and if formatted again would probably work, but the current data tracks are not reading correctly. I've got 2x drives like that right now. :(

I still have some drives like that now (external usb units), but they are backups and at least every few months they are compared with the originals for bit rot. And I keep multiple backups so there's a constant rotation.

Reactions: wildpig1234

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
I didn't use any of the drives in a 24/7 way, but just as archive drives (they were all mostly usb drives). But if I let them sit for a few years, one good read was all I typically get out of them. I'm sure the drive is actually fine and if formatted again would probably work, but the current data tracks are not reading correctly. I've got 2x drives like that right now. :(

I still have some drives like that now (external usb units), but they are backups and at least every few months they are compared with the originals for bit rot. And I keep multiple backups so there's a constant rotation.
wondering what i should do . don't know if i am able to rotate 50TB of hdd space like that.... I can't go back to burning bd-r.... it just take too long to burn bd-r

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016

I have bought a couple boxes of drives from Michael and they are all still working fine. He is close by for me so I just pick them up and avoid the shipping hassle
I just bought a few from him.. He added a discount code SPECIALS to discount $5 from each of the drive so $34 each. I guess i will see how many hrs /data written once i get them

the $5 discount code will also work with the following on his site

HGST 200GB Ultrastar SSD1600MM

HGST 3TB Ultrastar 7K3000 HUS723030AL640

Reactions: Samir and Marsh