EU Gigabyte Mainboard MC12-LE0 Re1.0 AMD B550 AM4 Ryzen

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

d33p

Apr 21, 2023
I ordered a 4x U.2 PCIe adapter card (4x4x4x4 Bifurcation) but for some reason, it only detects one NVMe no matter what I do.
I tested with a Ryzen 5600 and two Samsung PM9A3 U.2 connected using SFF-8643 to U.2 SFF-8639 cables.

In the BIOS I enabled the 4x4x4x4 Bifurcation option. Any ideas?
I also tested it on a Supermicro H11 SSL-NC with two native SFF-8643 ports and both NVMes were detected just fine.
BIOS version is F13 if I remember correctly.

I'd appreciate any ideas!
Card: PCIE 4.0 to 4x U.2 Expansion Card SFF-8639

mrpasc

Jan 8, 2022
Munich, Germany
Even if the seller claims „PCIE 4.0“ compatibility it might be a missing retimer (or at least a redriver) on those cheap cards. So they might work for PCIE 3.0 but not for PCIE 4.0
Did you get the one with the little chip on it or the one whiteout?

conf_f

Feb 24, 2024
If you only (plan to?) use 2 SSDs on this 4x adapter, test some other configuration like:
NVMe to 1st and 3rd Port and then set x4x4x8, x8x8 or x8x4x4 Bifurcation.

koaly

Dec 19, 2023
I ordered a 4x U.2 PCIe adapter card (4x4x4x4 Bifurcation) but for some reason, it only detects one NVMe no matter what I do.
I tested with a Ryzen 5600 and two Samsung PM9A3 U.2 connected using SFF-8643 to U.2 SFF-8639 cables.

In the BIOS I enabled the 4x4x4x4 Bifurcation option. Any ideas?
I have Ryzen 7 pro 5750ge and installed two NVME drives into ASUS Hyper M.2 x16 Gen 4 Card. With a setting 4x4x4x4 Bifurcation and 4x4x8 Bifurcation the MC12 board recognized one or the other NVME drive, but only one at a time. After setting 8x4x4 Bifurcation both drives appeared in BIOS and work fine.
Although with your Ryzen 5600 all options should work.

AlexGee

Aug 3, 2022
ASUS Hyper M.2 x16 Gen 4 Card. With a setting 4x4x4x4 Bifurcation and 4x4x8 Bifurcation the MC12 board recognized one or the other NVME drive
Asus Hyper M.2 with 4650G:

3 SSD do work with 8x4x4 (+1 on Mainboard with x2)

helskor

Aug 26, 2023
I'm so glad this thread exists, wasn't able to get the BIOS to update via the BMC, but going through the UEFI Shell worked like a charm
Really happy with this board for a dedicated NAS

Szala

Mar 23, 2024
Hi!

I'm having some issues with the update process. I was able to update BMC to latest version via UEFI Shell. All was good, I am still able to log in to BMC. Then I was trying to update the bios (I have F6) but is seems not to work. I am getting an error message "spi_upd\afuefix64.efi is not recognized as an internal or external command"

It doesnt work on both UEFI, BMC or Windows Bios update procedure. I was trying F11, F13 and F14.

Any ideas how to solve that?

SOLVED:

I didn't notice that the afuefix was missing in the bios package. You have to download it as stated on the last entry on bios section. MC12-LE0 (rev. 1.x) | Workstation Motherboard - GIGABYTE Poland

Maybe it will solve someone problem in the future :)

Last edited:

helskor

Aug 26, 2023
Hi!

I'm having some issues with the update process. I was able to update BMC to latest version via UEFI Shell. All was good, I am still able to log in to BMC. Then I was trying to update the bios (I have F6) but is seems not to work. I am getting an error message "spi_upd\afuefix64.efi is not recognized as an internal or external command"

It doesnt work on both UEFI, BMC or Windows Bios update procedure. I was trying F11, F13 and F14.

Any ideas how to solve that?
Yeah the documentation is a bit vague on that part, you need to download and copy the AMI BIOS utility to your USB stick (and put the file afuefix64.efi in the SPI_UPD folder)
You can get it here Custom UEFI/BIOS - Aptio & AMBIOS

Also are you sure you downloaded the right bios update? you mentioned an F14 but I don't see that listed on Gigabyte's site for the MC12-LE0 (the last one they have is F13)

Szala

Mar 23, 2024
Yeah the documentation is a bit vague on that part, you need to download and copy the AMI BIOS utility to your USB stick (and put the file afuefix64.efi in the SPI_UPD folder)
You can get it here Custom UEFI/BIOS - Aptio & AMBIOS

Also are you sure you downloaded the right bios update? you mentioned an F14 but I don't see that listed on Gigabyte's site for the MC12-LE0 (the last one they have is F13)
Indeed, solved just before your answer. ;-) It is a bit confusing. :)

mrpasc

Jan 8, 2022
Munich, Germany
F14 exists, link to download is somewhere in this thread. User contacted Gigabyte to get a Bios which supports APU usage and this F14 made it possible.

Reactions: helskor

d33p

Apr 21, 2023
I noticed that my system was unreachable, so I logged into IPMI to investigate.
I saw severalIO errors (2x U.2 NVMe connected via PCIe adapter with bifurcation) and tried rebooting as it didnt't respond to keyboard input either.

Since them I've been unable to get the keyboard working via IPMI.
Even updating BIOS (F13) and resetting the BMC (already on latest version) didnt help.

No idea what to do at this point, I cannot even navigate in the BIOS.

Cold reset, firmware reset all didnt help.

Any ideas?

Bildschirmfoto 2024-03-25 um 16.21.30.pngBildschirmfoto 2024-03-25 um 15.47.40.png

Szala

Mar 23, 2024
Does anyone have an issue with controlling fan in "fan profile"? It seems that no matter what I am changing it is not affecting fan behaviour.

nutsnax

Nov 6, 2014
I would order one of these things but it keeps saying they don't ship to my location in the US. Has anyone from the US actually gotten one of these?

rojovelasco

Apr 4, 2024
Thanks everybody for all the info on the thread, it has been very helpul. I still cannot POST with my current setup:

CPU: 5700G
RAM: 32gb ECC

BMC is updated
BIOS has been flash to F13 but BMC still shows

Looking on the internet, it seems that the 5700G is not compatible with ECC regardless of the motherboard. Could that be a reason for the system to not POST?

I dont have any DDR4 DIMMs around to test.

grenskul

Nov 8, 2020
Thanks everybody for all the info on the thread, it has been very helpul. I still cannot POST with my current setup:

CPU: 5700G
RAM: 32gb ECC

BMC is updated
BIOS has been flash to F13 but BMC still shows

Looking on the internet, it seems that the 5700G is not compatible with ECC regardless of the motherboard. Could that be a reason for the system to not POST?

I dont have any DDR4 DIMMs around to test.
Non pro G processors do not support ecc so that might be it.

Szala

Mar 23, 2024
As mentioned above. Non-pro Ryzen with GPU won't boot with ecc memory. I have checked that with many motherboards.

I have some update for future users.

Ryzen 4100 + 2x32gb 2666 + 1tb nvme takes 14W from the wall. Ubuntu live, idle with screensaver/monitor turn off.

Soon I will check 5950x+ecc ram.

rojovelasco

Apr 4, 2024
Non pro G processors do not support ecc so that might be it.
As mentioned above. Non-pro Ryzen with GPU won't boot with ecc memory. I have checked that with many motherboards.

I have some update for future users.

Ryzen 4100 + 2x32gb 2666 + 1tb nvme takes 14W from the wall. Ubuntu live, idle with screensaver/monitor turn off.

Soon I will check 5950x+ecc ram.
Thanks both for the quick reply!

If I understand correctly then, could I use ECC with a 5700X instead?