ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

scouzi

Jan 8, 2024
The interesting thing is that some D0 stepping cpu's like QYFS and some others support memory overclocking, while the official cpu versions do not. So those 4th gen cpu's could maybe still run at 5600MT with jedec 5600 memory, even at not overclocking board. I hope some one with such a cpu a GIGABYTE Board and Jedec 5600 memory can test this and confirm with a screenshot.

Do QYFP and/or QYFQ also support memory overclocking?
I may end up with that confirmation soon. I just got a tracking number for my MS03-CE0 board. Debating on buying 4800 vs 5600 now on a pure cost basis since I won't benefit from 5600 it seems unless I upgrade to Gen5 in the future.

Question for the board. What is the most impactful performance wise for memory? Using the most channels or running higher spec memory? (tighter timings, higher freqs etc, Tuned kits etc)

DHamov

Jan 12, 2024
populate 8 channels, dual ranked if you can get.
Sorry to ask or note, but is dual ranked really better?
i thought that each extra rank is considered as a additional RDIMM for that channel and because
For many cpu they write
Up to DDR5 4800 MT/s 1DPC
Up to DDR5 4400 MT/s 2DPC
Is the extra rank from the dual rank considered equivalent as an extra DIMM or not?
Because i would be afraid it would clock things down, thats why i was looking for single rank.
But i am happy to find out all the time that i am wrong.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Sorry to ask or note, but is dual ranked really better?
i thought that each extra rank is considered as a additional RDIMM for that channel and because
2 DIMM per channel are 2 loads
1 DIMM dual ranked is one load ( address lines, data lines are high impedance )
For many cpu they write
Up to DDR5 4800 MT/s 1DPC
Up to DDR5 4400 MT/s 2DPC
Up to DDR5 4400 MT/s 2DPC can be overruled by disabling "Enforce POR"
Is the extra rank from the dual rank considered equivalent as an extra DIMM or not?
no. dual ranked = one address puffer.
you buy a dual ranked 4800 and it runs at 4800.
the mem.controller can do rank interleaving, prepare next rank while current operation.

Reactions: DHamov

scouzi

Jan 8, 2024
you buy a dual ranked 4800 and it runs at 4800.
the mem.controller can do rank interleaving, prepare next rank while current operation.
My uderstanding too. DR is better because of interleaving. Even though only one rank can accessed at a time, the other can be used while one is busy.

scouzi

Jan 8, 2024
The interesting thing is that some D0 stepping cpu's like QYFS and some others support memory overclocking, while the official cpu versions do not. So those 4th gen cpu's could maybe still run at 5600MT with jedec 5600 memory, even at not overclocking board. I hope some one with such a cpu a GIGABYTE Board and Jedec 5600 memory can test this and confirm with a screenshot.

Do QYFP and/or QYFQ also support memory overclocking?
Here one analysis on Gen5. Should be close on Gen4 if you could boost it.

Reactions: DHamov

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
So those 4th gen cpu's could maybe still run at 5600MT with jedec 5600 memory, even at not overclocking board. I hope some one with such a cpu a GIGABYTE Board and Jedec 5600 memory can test this and confirm with a screenshot.
can not confirm: with Gigabyte MS33-AR0 not working so far.
I don't understand it yet.

DHamov

Jan 12, 2024
can not confirm: with Gigabyte MS33-AR0 not working so far.
I don't understand it yet.
Thanks for trying it out. That is very important feedback.
But lets see maybe you will still find a solution.
Maybe the memory overclocking is something that only works if and the cpu and the motherboard, support it. :oops:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Maybe the memory overclocking is something that only works if and the cpu and the motherboard, support it. :oops:
CPU was overclocked on ASUS W790 Ace to DDR5-6000 (XMP)
motherboard supports official 5600, std. for Emerald Rapids.
i think the BIOS distinguishes between SPR and EMR, SPR = max. 4800.
or the RDIMM o bought is not a 5600 ? unfortunaly i can not check, HWinfo and memtest86pro can not read SPD,
and BMC is not very helpful in that case.

Kizune

Dec 2, 2022
That plus i really have a problem with the umbrella term "memory overclocking". There are two things that can be called "memory overclocking":
1. Making memory run at the speed greater that stated at the memory specification (JEDEC spec or POR)
2. Making memory controller operate at the speed greater than specified in the CPU specification (because memory controller is part of the CPU now)

For the latest - the situation with the fourth gen. Asus WS and AsRock WS boards is quite unique - i do not remember last time any motherboard allowed memory controller on a Xeon Scalable processors (i mean server chips) operate at anything beyond what is advertised in the CPU specification - because usually the maximum frequency of the memory controller is locked in the CPU level. And i worked with gen 1, 2 and 3 processors before - ES, QS and retail versions alike.

For the first - making memory run at the speed greater than this memory is specified to - i did it many times with no problems, i ran DDR4 2133 at 2666 with first generation of Xeon Scalable, i ran DDR4 2400 at 2933 with second generation and i'm running DDR4 2666 at 3200 with both Xeon 3rd gen and AMD EPYC 7742 right now - and i haven't encountered any motherboard - server or workstation - who does not allow ignore POR specification and run memory at the maximum speed supported by CPU. May be some HP or Dell workstation motherboards have that option locked down but who cares about those.

So i think we just got lucky that for some reason some processors (Xeon Scalable gen.4 D0 stepping) have unlocked memory controller and some motherboards (like Asus WS) allow exploit it to get speeds far beyond specified in the ark.intel.com for that CPU model. That is just a happy coincidence and i'm grateful for it but treat it as such - happy glitch that works in our (consumers) favor.

Reactions: RolloZ170

scouzi

Jan 8, 2024
That plus i really have a problem with the umbrella term "memory overclocking". There are two things that can be called "memory overclocking":
1. Making memory run at the speed greater that stated at the memory specification (JEDEC spec or POR)
2. Making memory controller operate at the speed greater than specified in the CPU specification (because memory controller is part of the CPU now)

For the latest - the situation with the fourth gen. Asus WS and AsRock WS boards is quite unique - i do not remember last time any motherboard allowed memory controller on a Xeon Scalable processors (i mean server chips) operate at anything beyond what is advertised in the CPU specification - because usually the maximum frequency of the memory controller is locked in the CPU level. And i worked with gen 1, 2 and 3 processors before - ES, QS and retail versions alike.

For the first - making memory run at the speed greater than this memory is specified to - i did it many times with no problems, i ran DDR4 2133 at 2666 with first generation of Xeon Scalable, i ran DDR4 2400 at 2933 with second generation and i'm running DDR4 2666 at 3200 with both Xeon 3rd gen and AMD EPYC 7742 right now - and i haven't encountered any motherboard - server or workstation - who does not allow ignore POR specification and run memory at the maximum speed supported by CPU. May be some HP or Dell workstation motherboards have that option locked down but who cares about those.

So i think we just got lucky that for some reason some processors (Xeon Scalable gen.4 D0 stepping) have unlocked memory controller and some motherboards (like Asus WS) allow exploit it to get speeds far beyond specified in the ark.intel.com for that CPU model. That is just a happy coincidence and i'm grateful for it but treat it as such - happy glitch that works in our (consumers) favor.
Good points! I received my MS03-CE0 MB finally. Waiting on the memory. Went for boring Hynix 4800 from the official QVL list since OC is not possible. I really wanted the Asus ACE but found it an odd couple considering that it's not 'supposed' to work. My day job is in DC infra. So I naturally tend to opt for 'supported' configs as enterprises do. (except for the ES part obviously)

Also I don't know what is going on in my Country (Canada) but enterprise level components are all back-ordered and hard to get (at list price). I suspect no one is keeping stock due to high interest rates and everything seems to be dropped shipped these days.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
these SPR-SP D0 ES are crazy hermaphrodites, with stepping E intel decided to make a strict separation of SP & WS parts.

MillionMiles

Aug 22, 2023
Bought a new set of platforms for myself and I want to confirm their compatibility

Motherboard: X13SEI-F
Processor: XEON 8452Y ES Q0KS
Memory: SK hynix 16GB DDR5 RDIMM 4800 x 8

The motherboard should have a very new BIOS and ME, and there is some concern about whether the supermicro will block ES

Last edited:
Reactions: RolloZ170

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Motherboard: X13SEI-F
Processor: XEON 8452Y ES Q0KS
Memory: SK hynix 16GB DDR5 RDIMM 4800 x 8
The motherboard should have a very new BIOS and ME, and there is some concern about whether the supermicro will block ES
Supermicro does not actively block ES, they just removed all older microcodes like stepping D0.
C741: Tyan and ASRock Rack doing same, only Gigabyte left it in.

Last edited:

sam55todd

May 11, 2023
Alibaba cloud is already running Emerald Rapids platform having 8575C cpus
Here's sample bench with 4 CPU VM
I'm still cautious about getting their older 8475B because of high possibility those having locked-out accelerators (via Intel's On Demand activation model), and still too high prices for those QS of course..

Xylophone42

Feb 6, 2024
France
Hi, I have an Asrock w790 WS and i would like to put an ES on it, and I was thinking of a QYFQ D0 (or bigger if possible). After reading few pages of this topic, it seems not a lot of people have tried the w790 WS with ES, and the datas on it are not really clear.
If i understand well considering what that has been said in the previous pages :
-Only Gigabyte and few Asus W790 MB seem to work with SRP-SP D0 ES
-Asrock seem to keep D0 microcode on their W790 WS
-MB manufactured after Intel's official support of D0 microcode (april 2023 ?) tend to not work except with E0 WS ESs.

First bios available for W790 WS is from 02/2023, so an E0 ES could work on it ?

If you have any advice, i would really apreciate it !

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
First bios available for W790 WS is from 02/2023, so an E0 ES could work on it ?
E0 WS ES allways work on W790 boards.
SPR-SP do NOT work on W790 except stepping D0(crazy hermaphrodite)
and 8490H ES1 Q03J E0 for unknown reason.
If you have any advice, i would really apreciate it !
buy ASRock W790 WS and check it (i bought ASUS W790 Ace just to test if D0 work)
if you are located in EU i can send you QYFQ for testing.
update:
done: QYFQ is working on ASRock W790 WS latest BIOS 4.02

Last edited:

Xylophone42

Feb 6, 2024
France
buy ASRock W790 WS and check it (i bought ASUS W790 Ace just to test if D0 work)
if you are located in EU i can send you QYFQ for testing.
Thanks for your fast response.
I already have the W790 WS, i obtained it for really cheap due to few bent pins in the socket(fixed).
I am in france !

scouzi

Jan 8, 2024
I ordered 4 64 GB RDIMMS and received 5! Will an odd number of RDIMMS work on an MS03-CE0 MB? I know the Manual does not list it as a configuration. It would be a 5 channel setup :)

If not I have a spare RDIMM for the future or I can try to sell it.