Dell PowerEdge C8220 Build and Questions

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

falanger

Jan 30, 2018
Which HDD can be connected to mini-SAS and SAS-mezzanization of this board? Of those that can be bought as SATA. Usual for NAS-systems of household or server SSD Intel? And what cables are needed for this?

falanger

Jan 30, 2018
Good day.
The postal delivery from Taiwan exceeded itself and led me a cable with a riser to connect it to the C8220 board.
Here are the photos.

In which connector does it connect to the board?

Where to buy a wire with a connector for this power supply to the riser? It is the same +12 volts closer to the motherboard and the outer case?

falanger

Jan 30, 2018
The fee came surprisingly fast.

I correctly connected the GPGU riser to it?

Do these two SATA connectors work as usual, without a special SAS board?

falanger

Jan 30, 2018
Here is the result of researching the connector of the board's additional power supply with a tester and reviewing your photos.

The black wires of the small connector on the photo are in the connector on the board connected directly. Probably it is a "minus supply". But with the black wires of the main power connector they are connected through some kind of resistance.
The yellow wire of the small connector is connected directly to the yellow wires +12 volts of the large connector, but not connected to +12 vsb.
Red wire is most likely +5 volts supply.
For complete certainty, you need to look where the second red wire leads to the photo.
And if not difficult, tell me where to buy molex milli-grid 51110-1251 female through which the board is turned on and a control signal is sent to the power supply.
I can just solder the wires to the pins of the connector but it's wrong.

falanger

Jan 30, 2018
but this is a circuit trap ... this small connector on the side.
The contact that I counted +5 volts is connected to the black wires of the large connector and the minus supply of the connector of the usb
In general, it is incomprehensible and it is better not to use it.
Perhaps this is a connector to power the control devices outside the board, from its converter, because the power supply of the server Dell has only +12 volts.
I need a measurement on the running board, but I do not have any processors, power adapter and memory yet.
The connector on your photo is small - it's a connector of 2 hard drives

Last edited:

falanger

Jan 30, 2018
Спасибо, все понятно и доходчиво про питание.
Где бы еще разъем 51110-1251 купить мамы...
И я слегка не понял, разъемы SATA те что что синие кабели идут на плату SAS на меззонине - получают питание от маленького разъема того? Они без нее как простые SATA работать могут?

falanger

Jan 30, 2018
Я про тот через который перемычка включения платы и PS_ON.

arturmon

Feb 18, 2018
Good afternoon.
I still did not understand on version 1.0 without an additional fee could podkjuchit hdd? via ports on the motherboard or through an external pci-e controller?
sorry for my English, it's all Google's fault.

falanger

Jan 30, 2018
Good day to all. Today I bought two coolers under LGA2011 which can be adapted for C6220 and C8220 so that they do not interfere with installing the RAM.
To do this, remove the fan from the cooler, and gently cut off the excess part of the aluminum projections with the mounting holes, leaving enough to allow the use of the clamp. Better yet, make notes by putting the cooler on top of the inserted memory slots, then you can see exactly how much you need to saw off.
The second necessary refinement - the fixing screws of the radiators have a long thread for the sockets on our boards, you need to remove the restrictive washers from the scoop that prevent the screws from popping out, and thread two M4 nuts onto the thread. The remaining part of the thread is sufficient for fixing in the socket mounts and there is no risk of damaging the board with the ends of the screws.
(I did experiments with another radiator and almost damaged it because of the long screws, I hope I did not hurt, I can only check when the power adapter is delivered).
After that, simply install the radiator holding and tighten the screws all tightly, put on the fan and rejoice in the computer cooling without interfering with the installation of all the slats of the main memory.

falanger

Jan 30, 2018
Adapter with C6100 to a smaller number of contacts than the C8220X board, but you can still run.
All the memory slots on the board are working, I did not hurt anything. But at startup it configures memory for a long time.
Board with firmware C6220 version 3.2.11 from 05/09/2014

falanger

Jan 30, 2018
With the C6100 cable, my mistake, I bought 12 pins instead of 18. But the main thing that checked the board is what works, and the cable will be bought in due course.
By the way, who knows with the control connector through which the PS_ON is output - are there fan control connectors or other useful ones?

falanger

Jan 30, 2018
Yesterday I checked the work of the processor radiators. When fans are off and the load is 50%, the temperature is up to 40 degrees Celsius. When the fans are powered from + 5V directly - 30-31 degrees Celsius. When feeding from + 12V - 27-28 degrees, aim.
From 5V fans practical noiseless.

falanger

Jan 30, 2018

I'm sorting out with IPMI, until I folded the NVRAM option in BIOS was shown as inactive.
By the way, who knows how to disable the long configuration and check the memory before starting the main BIOS Dell?

arturmon

Feb 18, 2018
Hey. can tell you could encounter such a DELL POWEREDGE C6220 48.5K902.011 TTH1R card? Is there a problem with Sata or not?

Silvio

Mar 20, 2017
Hi all, I’m parting ways with my C8220 v1.1 (TND55) along with dual E5-2660 and 128GB RAM (16x8G). Any interest here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

falanger

Jan 30, 2018
Hi all, I’m parting ways with my C8220 v1.1 (TND55) along with dual E5-2660 and 128GB RAM (16x8G). Any interest here?
The reason for the sale?

I with my C8220 0083N0 with the firmware C6220 3.2.1 on the contrary advanced. Yesterday I connected and set up the GTS 250 video in Ubuntu.

When you plug an external video to the board, you need to disable the built-in motherboard in the BIOS and then wait a very long time until it turns on and displays the Dell BIOS screensaver. Up to 5 minutes. The message and server memory check only shows when the built-in video is running. And if you do not know that, you might think that the board stopped working. I also thought at first that it does not work at the first attempt to connect an external video and reset the BIOS to return the built-in.
At the second attempt I just left behind a cup of tea, and when I returned I just saw a message about the launch of the vidlecard and afterwards the Dell screensaver appeared.
I want now that the built-in video for the desktop works and on the external graphics card I make calculations, I plan to connect the Inno3D GTX 980 Air Boss X 4. After all, this is how I remember the most powerful video card on the C6220 with BIOS 3.2.1 was launched in this thread?

Reactions: BennyT

falanger

Jan 30, 2018
has established that for two SATA connectors on my board near the connector for the SAS board and the riser for the GPGU. They are connected to the SAS connector, and from them, when installing the SAS board, two cables of SATA are installed on the two same connectors near the board chipsets. Then the RAID controller has 6 communication channels, without bondage from the outside - only 4 channels are inside the board.
In this case, when the controller is connected to the BIOS, all 6 devices are selected in the RAID mode, and not the first four through the mini-SAS as I had hoped. Make the RAID on the first 4 devices for the data and on the last 2 install the SSD for the system does not work.