1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dell PowerEdge C8220 Build and Questions

Discussion in 'DIY Server and Workstation Builds' started by drabadue, Sep 15, 2016.

1. drabadue

drabadue Member

Lots of PCIe slots! It also looks like its more of a standard form factor. That would make it easier to get in a case. If you experiment with one, let me know what you find out.

2. drabadue

drabadue Member

A couple quick questions for those with functioning c8220/c6220 computers.

Is anyone using an Ethernet connection for internet? If so, what driver are you using? My Ethernet ports show up in device manager showing they need drivers, and when I plug them into my router I get nothing. I searched Dell's support site, but all the network drivers are for add-in cards. I tried to let windows find its own driver, but it had no luck.

Did anyone install the ASPEED 2300 display drivers? I installed the ones I found on Dells website, but the resolution options are very limited. I understand that it doesn't matter much, but it would be nice to have the right resolution on my VGA monitor when I have it hooked up.

@thomasz - did you end up leaving your 4 pin PWRCONN2 connector plugged in? Or have you been running without it?

From the sounds of it, are most of you guys running with the onboard VGA option disabled in BIOS? I have always left mine enabled. Whenever I disabled it, I could never get display out of my GPU. I always had to reset CMOS jumper to get the display back.

If you are running with the onboard VGA disabled, do you no longer see the 'configuring memory...done' screen? does it take awhile for the BIOS screen to appear? As in, its still doing the configuring memory screen, its just not showing up on the GPU display?

One more quick note, I have BIOS version 3.2.11 on my C6220 board. I searched Dells support site and the latest BIOS I could find was 2.7.1. I have no idea what the differences are, but i managed to extract the .BIN file of the 3.2.11 BIOS. If anyone wants the file, let me know. I would love to talk to someone who has experience with BIOS hacking to tell me what the differences are, or if its possible to get rid of the configuring memory screen.

[​IMG]

3. thomasz

thomasz Member

Hi @drabadue , I ended up leaving the 4-pin power connector 2 empty. Although I think I know the color codes of the cables, I decided not to take the risk of burning the board. The system works so far so good.

4. drabadue

drabadue Member

@thomasz - Thank you for the info. I will run mine this way as well for now.

Onto my problem with the Ethernet, I found a driver that works. I started out by looking for the technical specifications sheet to see if I could find what controller the ethernet used. In doing so, it looks like the C8220 and C6220 use the same controller. Intel I350.

upload_2017-8-9_3-2-31.png

upload_2017-8-9_3-12-50.png

upload_2017-8-9_3-14-29.png

So my next step was searching for the driver for the Intel I350 ethernet controller. A quick google search led me here:

Downloads for Intel® Ethernet Server Adapter I350 Series

Where I searched for my operating system (Win10 Pro x64), and after downloading and installing, I now have working ethernet ports.

upload_2017-8-9_3-17-3.png

I am not sure what the X540-AT2 means, but so far, everything is working as it should.

Attached Files:

madLyfe likes this.
  5. thomasz

thomasz Member

@drabadue Glad to see your progress! I have a question for you regarding connect graphics card to the board via the Mezzanine port. There are Mezzanine to PCIe cables like DJC89 or XPW47. In addition to the PCIe sockets, they appear to be equipped with 2-pin (?) power sockets and some other signal sockets. Are they supposed to be connected somehow to somewhere? Thanks!

s-l500.jpg

6. drabadue

drabadue Member

@thomasz - In this post, you can see how I had the GPGPU riser cable hooked up:

The power connector on the back of the card is a 4 pin connector. It is a molex microfit connector.

[​IMG]

I figured out the pins by studying pictures online and assuming yellow is +12v and black is ground. There are 2 +12v pins and 2 ground pins. I made a small adapter harness from a molex power connector. The 2 pins closest to the board are +12v and the 2 furthest away are ground. See the image below. Yellow is +12v and black is ground.

upload_2017-8-12_22-9-16.png

[​IMG]

There are also 2 other smaller 2 pin headers. These say "THROCON1" and "THROCON2" on them, so I assume they are for GPGPU throttling.

[​IMG]

Hopefully that helps. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

If I may ask, what did you intend to use the extra slot for?

7. thomasz

thomasz Member

Hello @drabadue , it is very kind of you for posting this detailed instruction with pictures. It is very informative and helpful. Thank you! I am going to give it a try. It sounds to be that the C8220X board has a total of *four* PCIe 16x slots (two of which are in Mezzanine format). This availability of extension is comparable to the high-end consumer's motherboards.

8. Limoneverde

Limoneverde New Member

Hi there
    the PCI-E port #3 (on the back of the mobo) has a MXM connector? the one used in the laptop pc for the GPU?
    thanks

9. drabadue

drabadue Member

@Limoneverde - If you are referring to the edge card slot, for the GPGPU riser cable and the rear interposer board, it is a a 3M SPD08 port. I am not sure how that compares to the MXM connector you referred to. I posted about that connector and the riser cables a few pages back: