CWWK/Topton/... Nxxx quad NIC router

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tibbe

Mar 17, 2022
Have you tweaked your BIOS settings? At this stage mine are STOCK but I would like to investigate if some settings can be optimised to reduce temperature
No tweaks. Just the 4 nvme bios from cwwk. I did repaste my CPU. Are you CPU temps ok? My room is probably 20C.

My drives are intentionally not the fastest kind, given the lack of PCIe lanes. Perhaps you have more modern drives, which tend to run hotter?

RubberChicken

Dec 6, 2023
No tweaks. Just the 4 nvme bios from cwwk. I did repaste my CPU. Are you CPU temps ok? My room is probably 20C.

My drives are intentionally not the fastest kind, given the lack of PCIe lanes. Perhaps you have more modern drives, which tend to run hotter?
Ok, are you using the 2.22.1287 or the 2.22.1288 BIOS?

Mine came with a version of the 2.22.1288, but not for the NVME adapter, even though the adapter it came already installed.

CWWK provided the 2.22.1287 when I contacted them with the issue of ethernet not working when more than 2 NVME installed. Installing this did not fix the problem at the time so I installed the 2.22.1288 version from their web site link. I thought it was running cooler under 2.22.1287 but since that did not fix the problem at the time it did not remain with that for long enough to do any testing and I went to 2.22.1288. It turned out that i had to re-install PROXMOX for the Ethernet Adapters to work and since it was working...after midnight last night I did not try 2.22.1287 again.

The drives on the NVME adapter are not even mounted in a VM yet so it is definately not an issue of them running hotter, they are not even running yet.

buz

Nov 5, 2023
So finally got round to trying out my n305-v2 (I think it's v2 because it has 2 red USB ports...).

32GB crucial stick was detected as was the dirt cheap 2TB Crucial T3.

Still need to torture it a bit.

Reactions: Stovar and choas

Xairoo

Nov 28, 2023
I would change the thermal paste. A good one will drop the temps.
And one of my two N100 had a really unlucky placed thermal paste (too less, not fully covered). It was 15 degrees hotter than the other one. So it's a good idea to check it.
I also attached a fan. I just placed four M4 standoffs into the case for a 12cm fan, that's enough.

Mike9474593

Aug 5, 2022
There seems to be a new device / additional version with complete different board layout from changwang:

Two i226 and a PCIe 8x (4x link) interface seems to be quite interesting. With the PCIe slot a 10Gbit router is possible.
But how am I supposed to fix the additional card? No case/housing?
Some images and parts of the description seem to be copy paste from different versions. Unclear what is included, speaking about 15W cpu (N100 is 6W), speaking about knockout holes and additional fans, images of a heat pipe and fan cooling solution.

Will be fun to order, putting money on my credit card now :)

CWWK 12th Gen N100 2x Intel i226-V 2.5G magic mini PC with new ways to play
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006293756645.html

If there is anyone from cWWk reading here: I have an offer, will correct your item description and fix your images. The only thing you have to do is send me the device for free :cool:

Last edited:

batagy

Dec 9, 2023
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum. I purchased CW-X86-P5(N100) Mini PC from Aliexpress.
This model:

I was not aware of this topic and hence didn't know that ordering is much cheaper directly from CWWK, but my purchase happened now, doesn't matter. Glad that I found this topic.

My default BIOS included with the PC was :
Core Version: 5.27
Build Date and Time: 07/19/2023
Version (at bottom): I didn't check unfortunately, but based on pigr8's post here, it was probably 2.22.1289.

Now, after I received the package, I asked the Ali seller to provide me latest BIOS. He sent me a file CW-ADLNT-1C2L(VER_F1).zip, which had file modification times 08/02/2023, so I thought it maybe newer then existing BIOS. The seller just said this is latest but didn't provide me which version it was .

I prepared the bios update with FPT based on guides, and I wanted to backup the existing BIOS first (command "fpt.efi -D MyOriginalBios.bin"). But, since I copied all the files from CW-ADLNT-1C2L(VER_F1).zip, it included also STARTUP.NSH, so that resulted that during bootup it started to flash the bios without my intervention. So it was not backed up.

And it turned out the BIOS that the seller sent is actually older than it was. Now I have:
Core Version: 5.27
Build Date and Time: 05/30/2023
Version (at bottom): 2.22.1287

Do you have the 2.22.1289 or any newer BIOS for CW-X86-P5(N100)?
Can these download from somewhere?

I found 畅网官方网盘 but that doesn't contain BIOS for CW-X86-P5.

Thanks in advance!
György

Mike9474593

Aug 5, 2022
While it looks fun, i don't think it's any better than the existing x86 p5 (if you don't need the additional pcie slot and the usb-c port), and much more expensive, also ddr4 not ddr5. So while it's looks are quite tempting, it's a pass from me.
Yeah, totally agree. It would just be interesting to see what is delivered. The X86-P5 gets a little warm without a fan (case gets quite warm but temperatures are still perfectly fine). This should be better here.
I'm not quite sure about the RAM, seems to be copy paste from the AlderLake U generation (64G is a bit too much for a N100). And I can't see the RJ45 COM port and a audio jack. That's what makes it interesting: you don't know what you get. Christmas surprise :)

Last edited:

Stovar

Dec 27, 2022
There seems to be a new device / additional version with complete different board layout from changwang:

Two i226 and a PCIe 8x (4x link) interface seems to be quite interesting. With the PCIe slot a 10Gbit router is possible.
Some images and parts of the description seem to be copy paste from different versions. Unclear what is included, speaking about 15W cpu (N100 is 6W), speaking about knockout holes and additional fans, images of a heat pipe and fan cooling solution.

If there is anyone from cWWk reading here: I have an offer, will correct your item description and fix your images. The only thing you have to do is send me the device for free :cool:
Looks awesome to me, I like that cwwk and others are trying to put something new out there and keep on releasing and innovating the mini pc scene that kit may have some interesting user case scenarios for gamers, htpc and people building what not.

Reactions: Mike9474593

Stovar

Dec 27, 2022
Spotted some new information regarding Intels next cpu line ups with meteor lake Sku cpus here

Appears there are some U-15 (15watt) and U-9 (9watt) cpus coming already, maybe they replace the N100/305s?

Should hopefully find out in the next few weeks and next month if Meteor lake is intel's most energy efficient chip yet.

Reactions: SBMe

splifingate

Oct 7, 2023

As their other:

But a little bit weirder!

Translation is like cooking . . . a pinch of this and a sprinkle of that :)

nitrosont

Nov 25, 2020
I pulled the trigger and bought a N100 version (four NICs and M.2 daughter board) from CWWK directly.
Right now I'm trying to prepare and get the newest BIOS.

On the site pan.x86pi.cn which is linked on CWWKs website, (with Google translator) I navigated to:
Home => BIOS update => 1.Intel mini host series BIOS => Pioneer Edition N100-N200-i3-N305-BIOS
There are three BIOS linked:
  1. Pioneer version N100-N200-I3-N305 original factory BIOS.iso
  2. Pioneer version N100-N200-I3-N305 expansion board dedicated BIOS - supports 3 select 1 and 4 M.2.iso
  3. Pioneer version N100-N200-I3-N305 supports 5 M.2 expansion boards dedicated BIOS-new version 4 M.2+WIFI to M.2 expansion boards.iso
To be honest, I understand the translation from Google. I assume #2 would be suitable for me with a M.2 daughter board? On the other hand #3 reads "BIOS-new version"... o_O

Which files do you guys use?

(On the site I assumed, the section " 4. Multi-network port network security routing series BIOS" would be correct. But that section is empty)
I think I managed to navigate on the Chinese support website to find a BIOS for my N100-4-port model, which I ordered.

I navigated to: (Chinese)
Code:
1.第12代AlderLake-U-P-N全系列
===>
1.第12代AlderLake-N先锋四网系列-V2
===>
AlderLake-N先锋四网N100-N200-I3-N305-V2出厂默认原始版
===>
CW-AL-4L-V2.0(先锋四网N100-N200-I3-N305-V2出厂默认原始版本)2023.09.27.iso
CW-AL-4L-V2.0(先锋四网N100-N200-I3-N305-V2支持5个M.2版本)20230927.iso.iso
I navigated to: (translated to English)
Code:
1. 12th generation AlderLake-U-P-N full series
===>
1. The 12th generation AlderLake-N Pioneer four-network series-V2
===>
AlderLake-N Pioneer Four Network N100-N200-I3-N305-V2 factory default original version
===>
CW-AL-4L-V2.0 (Pioneer four-network N100-N200-I3-N305-V2 factory default original version) 2023.09.27.iso
CW-AL-4L-V2.0 (Pioneer four-network N100-N200-I3-N305-V2 supports 5 M.2 versions) 20230927.iso.iso
So I'll try the "CW-AL-4L-V2.0 (Pioneer four-network N100-N200-I3-N305-V2 supports 5 M.2 versions) 20230927.iso.iso"-file since I'm planning to use the M.2 board as well.

Dostring

Dec 1, 2023
I've received my N100 4 port router on Saturday and installed 1 TB disk and 32 GB RAM. Thermal paste hasn't arrived yet so I haven't done anything with the cpu. I haven't touched the bios yet either but will get to that. However, I've installed Proxmox 8.1 and measured 8 W at the wall idle. That looked ok. I went on and installed OPNsense in VM and my power usage jumped to 12 W idle. I've pinned some posts I need to go through to improve power consumption with bios tweaks. But what could cause such jump when OPNsense was installed? Only on LAN port is used and no traffic goes through the box, it is not configured yet to be used as a router replacement. If that's of any use I've chosen ZFS as my filesystem for the Proxmox and for the OPNsense VM as well.

I'm quite new to Proxmox and completely new to OPNsense but willing to learn ;-)

Reactions: nitrosont

nitrosont

Nov 25, 2020
I've received my N100 4 port router on Saturday and installed 1 TB disk and 32 GB RAM. Thermal paste hasn't arrived yet so I haven't done anything with the cpu. I haven't touched the bios yet either but will get to that. However, I've installed Proxmox 8.1 and measured 8 W at the wall idle. That looked ok. I went on and installed OPNsense in VM and my power usage jumped to 12 W idle. I've pinned some posts I need to go through to improve power consumption with bios tweaks. But what could cause such jump when OPNsense was installed? Only on LAN port is used and no traffic goes through the box, it is not configured yet to be used as a router replacement. If that's of any use I've chosen ZFS as my filesystem for the Proxmox and for the OPNsense VM as well.

I'm quite new to Proxmox and completely new to OPNsense but willing to learn ;-)
Sound exactly like my setup and upcoming usecase for the N100 :)

You could try to play with "powertop" a little:
Here is a good explanation how to lower power consumption when running Unraid on bare metal - but I'd say you could also try this for Proxmox.
Maybe the OPNsense VM prevents the system from getting in one of the lower C-states and therefor the systems draws more.

Reactions: Stovar and Dostring

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010

Two i226 and a PCIe 8x (4x link) interface seems to be quite interesting. With the PCIe slot, a 10Gbit router is possible.
We have been playing with the N100 version. I could not figure out the PCIe card slot until I realized they also make cards. In either case, I have no idea how they are supposed to be mounted. However, The USB Type-C port can power a display on this one, which is excellent. Another small item is that ours came with two SATA data and power cables.

It is also super easy to work on.

SBMe

Nov 26, 2023
So 6 Sata 3.0 2.5" drives kind of hints at a NAS system with 1 NVMe rated at x1 only, not at x4.
So looks like it's really targeted to people who might have a 3D printer at home, or a friend willing to do it for him, or even a coworker willing to do it at work sometime, preferably after hours and with the boss knowing.

Either way, like someone else said, I like that they are thinking outside of the box and trying other things. Eventually they just may have numerous addon cards for a lot of their Mini PC's and we can turn out Mini PC's into something else down the line if we want to and not have them be junk. That would keep me loyal.