CWWK/Topton/... Nxxx quad NIC router

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

kliguin

Nov 22, 2022
Add a DIP key embedded in the call self-starter to enable the call self-starter to operate on the panel
From the CWWK.net website.

But I have no clue what the dip switch/ATX1 switch does...

Reactions: nitrosont

kliguin

Nov 22, 2022
I think it has something to doe with "auto start", but I dont understand the feature. I got the bios tweaked and I just pulled the power, box is booting automatically with the ATX 1 switch to off.

Reactions: Stovar

PacketVoodoo

Dec 2, 2023
Planning on buying an N100 direct from CWWK in the next few days, one of:

Have scanned the 70-odd pages here, but grateful for a steer on:
1- Do these look like case type C, and are folks having best cooling with that type?
2- Is there likely to be import taxes to UK?
3- Any tips on setup (incl BIOS settings) for a Proxmox + OpenSense install?
4- BIOS versions/updates
5- Any reason not to buy the five port Fengshang model?

Internet connection is 1000x50 VirginMedia cable.

Thanks,
Steve

Mike9474593

Aug 5, 2022
Hi,

Does anybody can share me the 2.22.1289 BIOS or any newer BIOS , for CW-X86-P5(N100)?

Thanks in advance!
Willing to help, but I'm not sure about the version. Mine says UEFI 2.8; PI 1.7 dated from 07/19/2023, 17:30:01.
Board is CW-ADLNT-1C2L, also with the N100...

nitrosont

Nov 25, 2020

1- Do these look like case type C, and are folks having best cooling with that type?
4- BIOS versions/updates

Thanks,
Steve
Regarding your questions:
1. the 4 port version: this is the one with the Y fins
2. I d k, as I'm not in the UK, sorry
3. Yes, there are various tips. Look out for a post from user "Becks"
4. Should be the one I mentioned here
5. Up to you... four ports draw a little less power compared to five. Five ports is one more ;)

Maor

Dec 4, 2020
I get a max of 52C with 5x Crucial P3.

4- BIOS versions/updates

Thanks,
Steve
2: I ordered directly from cwwk to EU, there was no tax, the shipping company did the customs and paid the fees. I would expect the same for UK.

Reactions: PacketVoodoo

Becks0815

Oct 15, 2022
4- BIOS versions/updates

Thanks,
Steve
1 - yes
2 - no idea, didn't pay taxes here on import (CH)
3 - look up my comments. In short: put opnsense on proxmox and give it direct access to the nics. There are several posts where I mentioned the tunings I used in the BIOS, for proxmox and for opnsense.
4 - no idea, I still run the one I got with the box, and I am unsure if an upgrade would give me any benefits or only pose the risk of running into problems I currently don't have
5 - for proxmox + opnsense three ports are already enough. WAN, LAN and one port for accessing proxmox.

Reactions: PacketVoodoo

cmccallu

May 29, 2020
I have the CWWK N305 and getting the following warning each time proxmox is backing up my VM's

The following warning/error was logged by the smartd daemon:

Device: /dev/nvme0, Critical Warning (0x02): Temperature

Device info:
WD Blue SN570 1TB, S/N:22413E804007, FW:234110WD, 1.00 TB

I'm thinking I need a heat sink for the SSD just after any suggestions?

Thanks
Chris

kuuk

Dec 13, 2023
Friends, I'm glad to welcome you! I bought cwwk x86 P5, I ask for help. I want to configure Intel® Active Management Technology (Intel® AMT). I saw jumpers inside on the motherboard and possibly settings in the BIOS, please send me instructions for activating this function. There was something about Intel AMT here somewhere, I can’t find it. Thank you!

AnthonyUK

May 9, 2023
I have the CWWK N305 and getting the following warning each time proxmox is backing up my VM's

The following warning/error was logged by the smartd daemon:

Device: /dev/nvme0, Critical Warning (0x02): Temperature

Device info:
WD Blue SN570 1TB, S/N:22413E804007, FW:234110WD, 1.00 TB

I'm thinking I need a heat sink for the SSD just after any suggestions?

Thanks
Chris
I would remove any covers and see how you go. A heatsink will help but if the hot air has no way of escaping it will not improve so much.
There is no reason I can see not to remove the front, rear and bottom cover.
I see people worrying about dust but without a fan these are not going to suddenly become a dust magnet.

If you want a fan which helps so much more with NVME temps then try a 12 cm case fan wired to a USB plug which will run silently and create enough airflow.

This is my N100 running with just the bottom cover removed. It doesn't need the fan during the cooler months.

Code:
root@pve2:~# sensors
nvme-pci-0100
Adapter: PCI adapter
Composite:    +39.9°C  (low  =  -0.1°C, high = +83.8°C)
                       (crit = +87.8°C)
Sensor 1:     +55.9°C  (low  = -273.1°C, high = +65261.8°C)
Sensor 2:     +39.9°C  (low  = -273.1°C, high = +65261.8°C)

acpitz-acpi-0
Adapter: ACPI interface
temp1:        +27.8°C  (crit = +110.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Package id 0:  +38.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 0:        +38.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 1:        +38.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 2:        +38.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 3:        +38.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)

nvme-pci-0600
Composite:    +35.9°C  (low  = -273.1°C, high = +84.8°C)
                       (crit = +84.8°C)
Sensor 1:     +35.9°C  (low  = -273.1°C, high = +65261.8°C)
Sensor 2:     +36.9°C  (low  = -273.1°C, high = +65261.8°C)

Dostring

Dec 1, 2023
I played a little w/ powertop. After applying --auto-tune it bricked the whole thing and I needed a hard reset. Which seemed to restore the "bad" settings I had. Anyway, I've returned to the Becks post about his final setup and was surprised that most of the settings in OPNsense are missing :D Power governor in proxmox as well. I've made some progress nonetheless by turning on Power Savings in OPNsense. That got me from 12 W to 9W idle (while proxmox alone was 8W). There are some cpu spikes while the router is doing nothing still but it is a progress.
Replying to my previous post so others can see my progress (or lack of it). I've done a complete bios settings according to Becks (page 4) in one go and my router refused to boot into proxmox (I haven't tried googling the error). Yesterday, I had another go at it and was adding the options one by one and testing them. The problem seems to be setting of PCI: ASPM = auto (regardless of L1 low and L1 substates settings). So I've proceeded with ASPM disabled and my idle power was the same (9 W). No progress there but I did no perf test if it perhaps improved there.

I've added powersave option for CPU governor into a crontab @reboot. I've tried the same for PCI devices (set it at reboot to auto) but that makes the system to freeze. Hence, PM of PCI devices seems to be problematic (and I am not an expert).

To sum it up, the only option that made the difference was PowerD enabled in OPNsense which moved the needle from 12 W idle to 9 W. If anyone has any tips I could try, go ahead. Otherwise, I plan to configure OPNsense and play with it a little.

cmccallu

May 29, 2020
I would remove any covers and see how you go. A heatsink will help but if the hot air has no way of escaping it will not improve so much.
There is no reason I can see not to remove the front, rear and bottom cover.
I see people worrying about dust but without a fan these are not going to suddenly become a dust magnet.

If you want a fan which helps so much more with NVME temps then try a 12 cm case fan wired to a USB plug which will run silently and create enough airflow.

This is my N100 running with just the bottom cover removed. It doesn't need the fan during the cooler months.
Thanks heaps for the reply mate I really appreciate it! It's starting to get warmer here and I think that has made the situation. Below are current temps I'm seeing

Code:
root@pve1:~# sensors
coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Package id 0:  +62.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 0:        +62.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 1:        +62.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 2:        +62.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 3:        +62.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 4:        +52.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 5:        +52.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 6:        +52.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 7:        +52.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)

acpitz-acpi-0
Adapter: ACPI interface
temp1:        +27.8°C  (crit = +110.0°C)

nvme-pci-0100
Composite:    +65.8°C  (low  =  -5.2°C, high = +79.8°C)
                       (crit = +84.8°C)

Stovar

Dec 27, 2022
Replying to my previous post so others can see my progress (or lack of it). I've done a complete bios settings according to Becks (page 4) in one go and my router refused to boot into proxmox (I haven't tried googling the error). Yesterday, I had another go at it and was adding the options one by one and testing them. The problem seems to be setting of PCI: ASPM = auto (regardless of L1 low and L1 substates settings). So I've proceeded with ASPM disabled and my idle power was the same (9 W). No progress there but I did no perf test if it perhaps improved there.

I've added powersave option for CPU governor into a crontab @reboot. I've tried the same for PCI devices (set it at reboot to auto) but that makes the system to freeze. Hence, PM of PCI devices seems to be problematic (and I am not an expert).

To sum it up, the only option that made the difference was PowerD enabled in OPNsense which moved the needle from 12 W idle to 9 W. If anyone has any tips I could try, go ahead. Otherwise, I plan to configure OPNsense and play with it a little.
Not an Proxmox user so unable to help and hopefully others can, but it looks like a very specific proxmox issue always worth reposting help on their community forums here you may get the answer you are looking for.

I have enough problems with my isp, it could be described as a yoyo and being under a VPN adds to that so tend to keep my set up simple with bare metal approach, but sometimes these bios energy tweaks or any tweaks for that matter can cause instabilities or issues, when in doubt I reset the bios and keep my router or os software to bare metal to check for stability first and my current state its now left just like that.

It might be worth making sure everything is working properly 1st before leaping onto proxmox or more advanced set ups imo.

Reactions: Dostring

Dostring

Dec 1, 2023
Not an Proxmox user so unable to help and hopefully others can, but it looks like a very specific proxmox issue always worth reposting help on their community forums here you may get the answer you are looking for.

I have enough problems with my isp, it could be described as a yoyo and being under a VPN adds to that so tend to keep my set up simple with bare metal approach, but sometimes these bios energy tweaks or any tweaks for that matter can cause instabilities or issues, when in doubt I reset the bios and keep my router or os software to bare metal to check for stability first and my current state its now left just like that.

It might be worth making sure everything is working properly 1st before leaping onto proxmox or more advanced set ups imo.
Right. I could have added that if I see any instability still I plan to revert the bios to defaults as it doesn't seem to help with power consumption and could be the source of the problems (with the only caveat that I still plan to compare passmark results w/ and without bios tweaks). It seemed like a worthwhile endeavour to try to improve the consumption of a 24/7 device but certainly not to the detriment of stability (and my time, frankly).

Reactions: Stovar

Maor

Dec 4, 2020
Right. I could have added that if I see any instability still I plan to revert the bios to defaults as it doesn't seem to help with power consumption and could be the source of the problems (with the only caveat that I still plan to compare passmark results w/ and without bios tweaks). It seemed like a worthwhile endeavour to try to improve the consumption of a 24/7 device but certainly not to the detriment of stability (and my time, frankly).
I followed the same instruction from page 4. I am using Unraid, my power consumption with only USB flash and an SD card and only using LAN0 is about 6W. I have LAN1-3 all disabled completely. I have the Crucial 48GB memory stick.
Any usb peripheral or video output adds watts.
With 2 SSDs I am at 11W mark.

Reactions: Dostring and Stovar

SBMe

Nov 26, 2023
I got the CWWK i3-1315U model and have been wondering the same thing. AC went out for like 14 days this past summer and have a new one now but since Covid everything takes much longer now to get fixed. So others should think about cooling options for next summer too and for the future, just in case.

Someone made that cool 3D printer fan option for your model, mine wouldn't work with that, I really wish it would though
CWWK/Topton Mini PC Fan Mount by Shenaniganz - MakerWorld 99% someone posted it in this actual thread. It's so cool, I'm considering getting this style next just for this. Unless all the new CWWK ones will have copper with fans blowing on top, if they do they need bigger holes on top and the bottom.

I'd love to have that, my models bottom is horrible for airflow. Actually, thinking of drilling some holes or literally cutting a hole, it's that's bad.
I'm planning on running a lot of software off of mine at first, pretty sure after more research it's not going to cut it, but going to try.

The older ones actually had bigger holes on the bottom for fans to actually breath I noticed on AliExpress, the J4000 models IIRC.

I started a wishlist on Amazon so I could choose a few options. Bottom of mine has holes for 80x80 and it for sure fits 10mm inside there. Took out my digital calipers. Thinking of making a template and see if I can make a Noctua 92x92x14 mm fit. Put calipers in there and 15mm seems would work, but NVMe isn't installed yet. So 14mm is pushing it. But other 80x80x10mm fans are junk for the CFM's they move to the dBA.
I did order this below though, on my model have two odd Sata ports so CWWK included two sata cables that will work with this and will turn it into fan ports in case I don't use a 2.5" SSD. However, if any heat problems I'll go with an external AC fan solution. Most likely I will anyways, but wanted one.
CRJ 15-Pin SATA to Dual 3-Pin and 4-Pin PWM Sleeved Fan 12V Power Adapter Cable (amazon.com)

Bottom would have to be drilled.

Much easier obviously AC Infinity makes some nice stuff.
AC Infinity MULTIFAN S4, Quiet 140mm USB Fan, UL-Certified for Receiver DVR Playstation Xbox Computer Cabinet Cooling (amazon.com)
If you are planning on getting 2 or 3 of these micro firewalls or Mini PC's and putting them next to each other
AC Infinity AIRCOM S9, Quiet Cooling Fan System 17" Top-Exhaust for Receivers, Amps, DVR, AV Cabinet Components (amazon.com)

GDSTIME 140mm x 25mm 110V 220V AC Powered Fan with Speed Controller for DIY Cabinet Cooling Ventilation (amazon.com)

Delinx 120 mm Case Fan, Cooling Fan with Speed Control, USB 5V Power, Low Noise, Dust Filter, Quiet Motor, 1700 RPM - Double Fan (amazon.com)

Noctua NF-A9x14 PWM, Premium Quiet Fan, 4-Pin (92x14mm, Brown) (amazon.com) Bottom would have to be drilled.

CWWK_13TH Gen 2.5G SOFT ROUTER INTEL U300 I3-1315U Motherboard Pic_Bottom of Case - Fan or SSD...jpg

Or was just thinking of getting this

Delinx 12V Fan Power Supply,PC Fan Speed Controller,100-240vAC to 3-12vDC 24W Adjustable Fan Power Adapter,with Fan Splitter Cable,DC Female to 2 x 3/4 Pin, Multi-Functional (amazon.com)

Then getting two Noctua outside fans with grills. Since mine has a small one on top I would just get a 120mm one on top to help the CPU one out maybe.

On the bottom I would get a 140mm or maybe a 200mm ( expensive though ).

Noctua NF-A20 PWM chromax.Black.swap, Premium Quiet Fan, 4-Pin (200x30mm, Black) For Desktop (amazon.com)

Noctua NF-A14 PWM chromax.Black.swap, Premium Quiet Fan, 4-Pin (140mm, Black) : (amazon.com)
Noctua NF-P14s redux-1200 PWM, Quiet Fan, 4-Pin, 1200 RPM (140mm, Grey) (amazon.com)

Noctua NA-SAVG2 chromax.Black, Anti-Vibration Gaskets for 140x25mm Fans (Set of 3, Black) (amazon.com)

APEVIA G-140MM Apevia 140mm black fan grill 2 in 1 pack - Retail (amazon.com)
Noctua NA-FG1-14 Sx2, Fan Grills for 140mm Fans (Set of 2, Black) (amazon.com)

Or if go with 120mm ones may use these dust covers that snap on both ends. Obviously with all of these things saved I have no clue.

Obviously with all of these things saved I have no clue what direction I'm going to go but for sure I am going with some extra fan system. Heat kills every man made thing. Want this one to last, even if I pass it on to a relative or something with just pfSense or OPNsense only and something like Tailscale where I can update it.

Got my ram in and getting my CPU paste today.

Wathai 2 Pack 120mm PC Fan Dust Filter Cover Computer Mess (amazon.com)

Got this for my router on Prime Day and it can run really low and silent so I do like the idea of these:
WDERAIR 4x120mm Router Cooling pad Flat Fan with Variable Speed Controller for DIY Electronics TV Box Cabinet Computer Game Equipment Cooler : Electronics (amazon.com)

Last edited:
Reactions: zack2491

Becks0815

Oct 15, 2022
Want this one to last, even if I pass it on to a relative or something with just pfSense or OPNsense only and something like Tailscale where I can update it
Install Proxmox and put the FW in a virtual machine. Even the N100 has enough CPU power to handle a 1gbit line symmetrical without issues, as long as you don't plan to overrun the system with a ton of (imo not required) fancy things, like Zenarmor or Suricata.

If you plan to add several vms, install 32GB RAM and 2 TB storage. Then you have plenty room to play around with. I also upgraded from 16GB/512GB to 32GB/2TB now.

Add another Debian vm on the same machine, run docker, Adguard home and Wireguard easy on it, and you have a stable version of both services. The ones that come with opnsense sometimes have issues. Add crowdsec to opnsense, don't expose ports, and your system should be safe. Imo you can't protect the home network from layer 8 problems by putting IDS services on the firewall, you need to stop malware from entering by hardening the most vulnerable parts where people interact with the network - email and web browser. Here I would install Firefox, several extenions like Ublock origin and an additional popup blocker, and also install the betterfox extension for firefox.

Last edited: