CWWK/Topton/... Nxxx quad NIC router

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Becks0815

Oct 15, 2022
Thanks for sharing this, but please forgive me my answer: This noise will only happen to coils and electrolytic capacitor. Never had this before with tantalum electrolytic capacitors. Btw. that's what I have noticed @ work (I am a electronics technician). Sometimes this will happen, looks like this will start when the tolerances are reached.

Anyway, glue is not a solution.

I am no electronic technician, but as far as what I know from physics is: whatever tries to make sound must be moving (vibrating). And stopping such a thing by gluing it to the ground can be the answer, especially if the alternatives are to resolder unknown/unidentified pieces of electronic equipment, or start a fight with the vendor in China.. Ask my N100 how it thinks about sending me those nasty and loud 5x beeps while booting. Glue was the answer for that problem, too.

Concerning the constant questions about Bios upgrades: Why? Is there something which doesn't work? If not - don't upgrade the Bios. Even with Asus I am sure the chances to cause problems were higher than to get any real advantages during runtime.

Last comment for now: the 32 GB are stable. No crashes, nothing. Only took an additional minute during the first boot. I guess the board did some tests with the new detected RAM module.

djovani

Feb 24, 2023

mack

Jul 17, 2022
How did you get the 4x M.2 expansion board from Topton? Their Aliexpress store doesn't list it and it isn't an option for the MiniPC. Did you message them or something?
They have information about an expansion board in the ad, you have to send a message after purchasing and pay extra.

serveuser

Oct 24, 2023
Are there any Proxmox users here who have CW-ADLN-6L six-port N305? I installed Kingston FURY Impact KF556S40IB-32 32GB memory and two Samsung 990 Pro NVMes. I did full memory tests twice - all without errors. N305 is cold when idle (~26-34 C). BIOS 5.27 08/23/2023

FreeBSD 14 works great - no complaints at all.
Windows 11 works great - no complaints at all.
VMware ESXi 8.0u2 works great - no complaints at all.

But I'm having problems with all versions of Proxmox that I've tested. With all versions, spontaneous freezes occur either on the host OS in Proxmox, or bugs and freezes in guest systems (Ubuntu 23.10 and 22.04.03 LTS). I'm using ZFS RAID1 mode, ashift 12.

I've tried several different versions:
Proxmox 8.0.3 with 6.2.16-3 kernel
Proxmox 8.0.3 with 6.2.16-12 kernel
Proxmox 8.1.3 with 6.5.11-4 kernel
Proxmox 8.1.3 with 6.5.11-6 kernel.
And others. Latest version hangs up just without VMs/containers at all, just fresh install. Tried to disable memory ballooning, KSM, tried updating Intel's microcode. No success at all.

Some host system errors:
proxmox kernel: BUG: unable to handle page fault for address: ffff985b1221e5c3
proxmox kernel: BUG: unable to handle page fault for address: ffffff5db9a6daba
proxmox kernel: watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for 1595s! [kworker/0:2:571]
proxmox kernel: WARNING: CPU: 7 PID: 992 at arch/x86/kernel/fpu/xstate.c:1465 xfd_validate_state+0x62/0x80

Guest systems sometimes freeze and display various errors, sometimes simply do not respond without errors, including I cannot turn them off.

I also tried connecting a laboratory power supply instead of the standard one - without results.

Everything can work for several hours without failures, or it can freeze several times in one hour.

upd: this bug happened while writing this post, just clean system without VMs at all.
1701380361466.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinuccio

kliguin

Nov 22, 2022
I am dealing with noisy N100's in a fanless case!

Bought 2 units and you can hear both of them. It's like a kind of coil whine but more like a power supply that makes noise.

This happens without load. The noise will go away when I run stress -c 1. It's really annoying because my real workstation is 100% silent (super good ears, but running a big MoRa watercooling system, even with the 3080 and the 5900X) in all situations.

Tried some tweaks in the BIOS but haven't found a solution yet. The seller yohirs hasn't found a solution and it sounds like they can't reproduce it or wont... the answer: " Hi,the pc is not have fan,we can't confirm the original sound from what location, please tell me where you think the sound comes from." - WTF...

Again, 2 units, both act the same. And I don't think it's RAM or NVMe related.
Tried this?

Advanced → Power & performance → CPU - Power Management Control → CPU VR Settings → Acoustic Noise Settings → Acoustic Noise Mitigation

Dostring

Dec 1, 2023
I've just ordered N100 since my provider upgraded my connection to 500Mb/s and my all-in-one tp-link is not up to the task. I plan to run Proxmox + OPNSense and some docker containers (so far I know I want wireguard). I know 32 GB ram will be probably overkill but I'll go with that (probably Kingston Furry that Beck has). But I'm not sure which NVMe I should choose. Are there any brand/type recommendations with regards to power efficiency? 1 TB should be enough, shouldn't it?

Also, I would like to power N100 router, switch and AP via one usbc charger and pd trigger cables. AP needs 12V2A 5.5x2.5 barrel jack. I know router needs 12V5A but it says on the cwwk page barrel jack is 5x2.5 - it should be also 5.5x2.5, no? Where do you guys order pd trigger cables? There's not many 12V 5.5x2.5 on amazon and are quite expensive.

Maor

Dec 4, 2020
I need some assistance locating the correct BIOS.
I have this router with N305
On the sticker inside it seems to be version 1:
CW-AL-4L-V1.0 n305
but on the website, this folder seems to be empty

So I wonder if the Pioneer version is the correct one, and if yes, which exact version.
My Board looks exactly like this:
View attachment 32991
Best is to ask the seller to provide you with an exact link. If it bricks the board, you can make warranty claim more easily.
Is there something the new bios is supposed to fix or add?

kliguin

Nov 22, 2022
Are there any Proxmox users here who have CW-ADLN-6L six-port N305? I installed Kingston FURY Impact KF556S40IB-32 32GB memory and two Samsung 990 Pro NVMes. I did full memory tests twice - all without errors. N305 is cold when idle (~26-34 C). BIOS 5.27 08/23/2023

FreeBSD 14 works great - no complaints at all.
Windows 11 works great - no complaints at all.
VMware ESXi 8.0u2 works great - no complaints at all.

But I'm having problems with all versions of Proxmox that I've tested. With all versions, spontaneous freezes occur either on the host OS in Proxmox, or bugs and freezes in guest systems (Ubuntu 23.10 and 22.04.03 LTS). I'm using ZFS RAID1 mode, ashift 12.

I've tried several different versions:
Proxmox 8.0.3 with 6.2.16-3 kernel
Proxmox 8.0.3 with 6.2.16-12 kernel
Proxmox 8.1.3 with 6.5.11-4 kernel
Proxmox 8.1.3 with 6.5.11-6 kernel.
And others. Latest version hangs up just without VMs/containers at all, just fresh install. Tried to disable memory ballooning, KSM, tried updating Intel's microcode. No success at all.

Some host system errors:
proxmox kernel: BUG: unable to handle page fault for address: ffff985b1221e5c3
proxmox kernel: BUG: unable to handle page fault for address: ffffff5db9a6daba
proxmox kernel: watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for 1595s! [kworker/0:2:571]
proxmox kernel: WARNING: CPU: 7 PID: 992 at arch/x86/kernel/fpu/xstate.c:1465 xfd_validate_state+0x62/0x80

Guest systems sometimes freeze and display various errors, sometimes simply do not respond without errors, including I cannot turn them off.

I also tried connecting a laboratory power supply instead of the standard one - without results.

Everything can work for several hours without failures, or it can freeze several times in one hour.

upd: this bug happened while writing this post, just clean system without VMs at all.
Did you run memtest for a few hours? Its in the boot options of proxmox if you attach HDMI.

Becks0815

Oct 15, 2022
Also, I would like to power N100 router, switch and AP via one usbc charger and pd trigger cables. AP needs 12V2A 5.5x2.5 barrel jack. I know router needs 12V5A but it says on the cwwk page barrel jack is 5x2.5 - it should be also 5.5x2.5, no? Where do you guys order pd trigger cables? There's not many 12V 5.5x2.5 on amazon and are quite expensive.
I run two machines on a single 12V adapter. You need:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002011584072.html - a power splitter terminal box

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33038333356.html - here you get the DC power adapters in two colors. Makes it easier to distinguish between 2.1 and 2.5mm inner diamater, and these adapters are easier to handle (no soldering required) and look more sturdy than the standard adapters.

Wires. I bought 16 agw silicon cable for this purpose.

Lat but not least: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005123816284.html - a fast charge pd module to force 12V output on the pd charger

Recommended: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006245123030.html - a simple method to isolate cables. It also did a great job in fixing my keyboard hand rest where my cat punched some holes into it-

The rest is some simple soldering on the pd module.

Btw.: The efficiency of such a pd charger is identical to a good classic 12V power supply, so you also could buy e.g. a Meanwell 12V adapter with 60W. Stay away from the USB 1:4 Y-adapter cables. These cables have some built in electronics to server different voltages on each wire and normally can't handle high loads. I had to move my switch to a dedicated USB adapter due to this, resulting in blackouts of the switch under load.

Last edited:

Maor

Dec 4, 2020
I have the N305 V2 + 4M.2 board. One Gigabyte ssd works fine, second does not.
I can not get Kingston KC3000 to work. In linux (unraid) i get the following message in DMESG
Code:
nvme nvme1: Removing after probe failure status: -12
I have disabled APST for all PCIe, I do not know what to try next...
The SSD works in USB-NVMe enclosure...

I have disabled SATA, eMMC, set PL1 and PL2 for CPU. set the PCIe to CEMx4.

Reactions: Stovar

karoiz

Nov 1, 2023
10+ hours, no errors:

How much power does your board consume in IDLE?

I have two versions purchased from Topton:
  • CW-AL-4L-V1.0 N100 / Kingston KF548S38-16 16GB / Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB ~ 10W
  • CW-AL-4L-V2.0 N100 / Kingston KF548S38-16 16GB / Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB ~ 19W
I am disappointed with the new energy consumption of the new computer version. Maybe there is a configuration error? How much energy do your computers use?

serveuser

Oct 24, 2023
Is this board version 1.0 or 2.0?
I don't know and I don't see any version markings on the board. I have the 6-port N305 version. "CW-ADLN-6L Ver: 11.3" in BIOS, BIOS version 5.27 08/23/2023

Also this BIOS is very limited in settings, no settings for max CPU power and so on