CWWK/Topton/... Nxxx quad NIC router

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tibbe

Mar 17, 2022

kliguin

Nov 22, 2022
Well that could be true.
yw

Since 2.5GbE (theoretical) max throughput is about 312MB/s, a PCIe2 x1 lane (theoretical max of 500MB/s) is entirely sufficient for such a device.

It looks like (I believe) that the CW engineers split two of the nine PCIe3 lanes into four PCIe2 lanes, each of which are designated for the i226-V 2.5GbE ports on the AL-4L-V2.0

This leaves us with seven PCIe3 lanes.

Five PCIe3 lanes (x4 + x1) are dedicated to the m.2 interfaces.

The remaining two are bifurcated/distributed amongst the remaining port interfaces (etc.).

I'm not really that good at doing algebra in my head (and I only have 1GbE networking equipment running atm), so this explanation makes sense to me.

See lspci output attached:

View attachment 32721
Thanks for the explanation that make sense.

Marvin33

Aug 4, 2023
I thoughts you asked what connector it was.
You could use a standard Dupont 2mm pitch plug, the SWD connector from your USB plug would need some plastic surgery.
I say it is the Hirose DF11 series connector because:
  • It has a 2.0 mm pitch
  • keyways on long edge to ensure the correct plug is used in the header
  • offset keyway on the short side to ensure correct orientation
  • friction lugs in the 4 corners to ensure the plug does not come loose
As for the Aliexpress header cable, you will need to rewire the pinouts on the header end. the aliexpress header is mapping header pin 1 to DE9 pin 1 and so on. Only the ground & Ring indicator pins match.
Using the SPE213 data sheet, it has a reference RS232 layout. Comparing the header pins on the board decoded by @Marvin33 I get:
View attachment 32581
Hi. I'm sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.
I presume there is a connector in the link below that will fit the COM port.
topton com.jpg

And this is the connector for powering the PWM fan.
1699908019638.png

Last edited:

demium

Nov 10, 2023
I contacted CWWK last night and got a response:

Hi CCWK! I'm looking to buy another mini PC: the new N305 model with 4x I226-V 2.5G ports, with the 4*M.2 option. I've seen some rumours online that there is a V2.0 version around which has more USB on the front. Is this correct? Are there other changes?
cwwk
Hello, yes, we have updated the V2 version, we will send the V2 version after you place an order
Hi!

What is link on the version2 of N305 on CCWK? Is possible to mount an internal FAN 80mm X 80mm X 10mm of size?

TvdH

Jul 17, 2013
The Netherlands
Hi!

What is link on the version2 of N305 on CCWK? Is possible to mount an internal FAN 80mm X 80mm X 10mm of size?
I was chatting with them about this model:
The page is not showing the V2 (yet).

My previous order for a N5105 did include a fan cable and had space to mount a fan (but was not needed). Did not look into fan mounting options for the N305 V2 yet. I've seen a PDF on a Dutch forum (Tweakers) about a N305V2 from a different vendor. It has a fan mounting option and fan header.
PDF is to large to upload here, external Dropbox link (not my own).

Edit: PDF removed as requested. If you need info from the PDF, please contact me.

Last edited:
Reactions: demium

greenkiwi

Nov 12, 2023
I've just ordered one of the N305 models and am looking forward to getting it. I really appreciate hearing your path. I'll be setting up OPNSense and Home Assistant on mine to start as well.

Also, I was confused about which case actually has the best cooling. It wasn't particularly clear in the first post. I've tried to read through the threads to find someone comparing them.

@Esports_are_for_losers which case model did you end up picking?

I was wondering whether anyone knew if either of the crucial stores on Ali Express were legit?
Crucial Global Store

Crucial SSD and Ram Store

With the 11.11 sale, their prices are a bit better than Amazon. If not, I'll just get from Amazon.

buz

Nov 5, 2023
So cwwk store on Ali confirms they are selling v2 with usb3. Guess I'll give it a shot.

Becks0815

Oct 15, 2022
So the CWWK store is the best Ali seller (and topton to be avoided), did I infer this correctly?
Yes. fast shipment, without any excuses/delays, and I haven't heard of anyone having issues with the products they sent (incomplete stuff, missing parts, wrong items shipped).

demium

Nov 10, 2023
I was chatting with them about this model:
The page is not showing the V2 (yet).

My previous order for a N5105 did include a fan cable and had space to mount a fan (but was not needed). Did not look into fan mounting options for the N305 V2 yet. I've seen a PDF on a Dutch forum (Tweakers) about a N305V2 from a different vendor. It has a fan mounting option and fan header.
PDF is to large to upload here, external Dropbox link (not my own).
Thanks buddy,

It seems a very legit options in case that I want to virtualize a system with OPNSense and some LXC/VMs. Regarding the shipping and customs, I was wondering if somebody has encountered some issue with customs within the EU once the parcel left the asian border. Did the seller pay the fees or it's at my own risk? Any feedback I would appreciate it, specially now that we are heading to BlackFriday offer campaigns.

JTech

Nov 14, 2023
Yes. fast shipment, without any excuses/delays, and I haven't heard of anyone having issues with the products they sent (incomplete stuff, missing parts, wrong items shipped).
Like many, I'm also shopping for one of these topton/cwwk units and i've been doing a lot of homework and have tried to digest as much as I could in the last 61 page.
  1. Do you have a link to CWWK's official AliExpress store? I've googled and come across many variations with less than 75% feedback. I'm looking at this specific variant of the C case. or is this variant one I should be avoiding and go with the variant that has less ports? Is the link Topton's official store because I've also seen many variations for Topton.
  2. Is the wrap up you wrote back in Jun/July still applicable? I'm newer to Linux in general, but I do have a node up and running now for my media server arr's. This is one will serve as my firewall/router and Home Assistant server
  3. For the Meanwell adapter you were referring to for the US, someone mentioned I need version P1M, but on Amazon I'm only able to find P1J. Will this suffice?

greenkiwi

Nov 12, 2023
LoL - I found it crazy confusing. I think that I'm not getting the case I probably wanted... I ended up getting a Topton model, but they have three with identical prices and specs and two have the same case. Just confusing.

mack

Jul 17, 2022
Hi, can anyone confirm that the new version with the cw-al-4l-v2.0 motherboard supports the nvme 1 - 4 adapter?

AdamAu

Oct 15, 2023
Hi. I'm sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.
I presume there is a connector in the link below that will fit the COM port.
View attachment 32731

And this is the connector for powering the PWM fan.
View attachment 32732
That could be a fit. for the COM port. I might buy some and try it.

I was initially thinking the fan connector looks to me (for the CW-ADLN-6L) as a 1.0mm pitch JSP SH Series connector
but looking at the photo again it may be 1.25mm pitch. I have some connectors in my cart, but it will be a couple of weeks before I order anything.

Mike9474593

Aug 5, 2022
  1. Do you have a link to CWWK's official AliExpress store? I've googled and come across many variations with less than 75% feedback. I'm looking at this specific variant of the C case. or is this variant one I should be avoiding and go with the variant that has less ports? Is the link Topton's official store because I've also seen many variations for Topton.
CWWK Store and CWWK PC Store are AFAIK the official. Asked for the 4 port USB upgrade of the X86-P5 and ordered over cwwk.net.
Did work without any problem.

Topton and Kingnovy (and their variants) are the same, don't order there.

MemeScreen

Oct 14, 2023
I was not able to get a clear response from the tool:
[root@localhost-live intelmetool]# /intelmetool -b
Can't find ME PCI device
Can't find ME PCI device

If it is of any use, this is what appears in the BIOS
Brand stringIntel(R) Core (TM)
I3-N305
VMXSupported
SMX/TXTNot Supported
TXT Crash Code0x00000000
TXT SPAD0x0000000000000000
Boot Guard Status0x00000000
Boot Guard ACM Policy Status0x0000000000000000
Boot Guard SACM Information0x0000007000000000
Thanks for checking and the info. Looks like my information is outdated. That tool apparently may not work on newer cpu's. I'm looking into finding another way to check that doesn't involve using Windows. :)