CWWK/Topton/... Nxxx quad NIC router

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MajorPayneDOF

Aug 3, 2023
Good Evening all, I have had time to get my N100 from hunsn all setup using proxmox and the opnsense. I have turned off the router in the modem and power cycled everything. We are up and running. Now from what I can see with my initial testing and no tweak is in the attached images. I'm getting 2.2gbps down and 100mbps up with the cpu htting 43% usage. Are other people seeing about the same?

I'm going to need to learn Proxmox better (rudimentary knowledge) and opnsense (no experience) better Anyone got any tips trick site besides the basic forums?

great the wife is blaming me on why the Firetv can't connect via wifi anymore or not getting internet when it does...

Attachments

Last edited:

idle_user

Jun 24, 2023
Good Evening all, I have had time to get my N100 from hunsn all setup using proxmox and the opnsense. I have turned off the router in the modem and power cycled everything. We are up and running. Now from what I can see with my initial testing and no tweak is in the attached images. I'm getting 2.2gbps down and 100mbps up with the cpu htting 43% usage. Are other people seeing about the same?

I'm going to need to learn Proxmox better (rudimentary knowledge) and opnsense (no experience) better Anyone got any tips trick site besides the basic forums?

great the wife is blaming me on why the Firetv can't connect via wifi anymore or not getting internet when it does...

You forgot the first rule when it comes to messing with networking in the home. Don't do it when anyone is home. Lol

If I were you, I'd change everything back to how it was, work on things on a separate network, and swap it over when no one else is relying on the existing network.

As for your speeds, how are you running those speedtests? And what are your expected results?

MajorPayneDOF

Aug 3, 2023
You forgot the first rule when it comes to messing with networking in the home. Don't do it when anyone is home. Lol

If I were you, I'd change everything back to how it was, work on things on a separate network, and swap it over when no one else is relying on the existing network.

As for your speeds, how are you running those speedtests? And what are your expected results?
rules bah! actually it's summer here and she can't leave the house without pain or becoming very tired.

speedtest.net from my workstation connected to a switch to the router. They are speeds I'm expecting which is good I just wanted to make sure that i'm not underpowering my vm...

Last edited:

idle_user

Jun 24, 2023
rules bah! actually it's summer here and she can't leave the house without pain or becoming very tired.

speedtest.net from my workstation connected to a switch to the router. They are speeds I'm expecting which is good I just wanted to make sure that i'm not underpowering my vm...
Oh okay, first sounded like you expected full nic speeds when using your ISP provided bandwidth.

From what I read, it's best to run your VMs with minimum specs and increase them only if they start hitting peak. That way you're not assigning too many resources that will go unused. Just keep an eye on the summary page of your VM.

Maybe spin up grafana + Prometheus/Victoriametrics in docker to monitor the stats history.

FYI, This is getting a little out of topic. I believe there's a proxmox/vm section available. I might head there myself for some questions on some issues I ran into with ceph

B0rg

Jun 14, 2023

I got the same N100 box but then from CWWK.

In Proxmox on the opnsense vm change your CPU type to host to use AES of the CPU.
Created a VM with OVMF UEFI and q35 chipset.
I did a PCI passthrough of both my nics in the opnsense vm.
Enabled the three hardware offloading option in opnsense.

Enable the 2 tunables below:
This uncaps the amount of CPU’s which can be used for netisr processing. By default this aspect of the network stack on FreeBSD seems to be single threaded.
net.isr.maxthreads = -1

This binds each of the ISR threads to 1 CPU core, which makes sense to do since we are launching one per core. I’d guess that doing this will reduce interrupts.
net.isr.bindthreads = 1

Is working solid with low cpu usage.

Reactions: ColdCanuck

Seb_UK

Aug 13, 2023
I am planning on buying a CWWK box for routing with a barebones variant of the 4 port i226. Just stuck at a brick wall when it comes to deciding the CPU, I would like to buy the N100 if it suites my needs but not sure if it has enough power to support it.

FYI my networking knowledge it amateur at best. Just looking for a little guidance as my brain is mush from googling and watching you tube videos on the topic.

Basic connection is:
ONT < ETH1 (WAN: PPOE: 1gbs) < OPNsense (Firewall, shaping and filtering)
> ETH2 (Main PC)
> ETH3 > Wifi6 AP (Ubiquiti)

I would like to achieve 1gbs+- download through the firewall at all times. Will the N100 suffice or should I rather look at the N305?

moonman

Aug 12, 2023
Hi everyone,

Has anyone bought this unit ?
1691953496826.png

Just wondering how the CPU temp is since it seems the fits on the top are way smaller than the rest of the models. It is also not mentioned in the OP, so maybe it's one of the newer models. It also seems a bit cheaper than the rest.

I placed an order on aliexpress but now I'm wondering if the cooling is good enough.

MarylandIT

Aug 11, 2023
I was not able to get the Corsair CMSX16GX5M1A4800C40 RAM to work in my Topton N100. Based on posts here I ordered Crucial CT16G48C40S5 and it works great. Passes memtest with flying colors.

Reactions: SiVisPacem

Thorror

Sep 16, 2022
Hi everyone,

Just wondering how the CPU temp is since it seems the fits on the top are way smaller than the rest of the models. It is also not mentioned in the OP, so maybe it's one of the newer models. It also seems a bit cheaper than the rest.

I placed an order on aliexpress but now I'm wondering if the cooling is good enough.
Cooling is worse than the other cases. Just look into the N5105 Thread. Case was/is also used for cheap N5105

Reactions: Stovar and moonman

jordanp123

Feb 24, 2023
I have that case on one of the N100 units I have, it runs hotter then the others for sure. I put a small USB powered fan on top of it and its been working fine. After adjusting the bios settings it would have been fine without the fan but I like it to run a bit cooler and its in a area that the noise is not a issue. I did however redo the heatsink on the device, I sanded the metal blocks and case interface with 2000 grit sandpaper and reapplied thermal paste before testing so keep that in mind.

Reactions: moonman

Foxandxss

Aug 14, 2023
Hello friends. First time here.

I wanted to buy a small computer for a homelab. I am a software dev and I have a RPI4 running some containers for personal projects. I am also in need of a better router so I think this is what I need.

My network knowledge is somewhat ok so I need to make a few questions (I read half of this thread, Ill continue reading more also).

I would like to have a proxmox + opnsense + a machine that can run docker for my personal projects (those projects can be seen from internet using a domain, in case this matters).

I had the n305 in mind with 16gb of ram and 1TB m2. I will pick a kingnovy out from amazon spain (it is the only option). I don't mind Aliexpress but I am a business as well so I would like to buy it as a business and that is complicated with Aliexpress.

Anyway, I guess kingnovy is the same (seems to be the Variant A) as the other ones and bios updates will apply. Would you recommend N100 or N200 for my use case? Just router and some personal containers. I don't need more (at least for now).

On the other hand, I got confused with your NIC assignment and I need a clarification. I read about using one for WAN, another for LAN and another for proxmox and other VMs.

Let me explain how my actual network is configured:

ONT+router. I have one NIC connected to my work computer and another one goes to another room with a xiaomi AX3600 where I have my NAS, RPI4 and wifi.

What I wanted to do is connect my ONT to port0, use port1 to connect my computer and port2 to connect to the Xiaomi. I can't connect my computer to the xiaomi since it is in a different room and there is just one ethernet cable through the walls and I can't add another one.

When you all say that you have one port assigned to proxmox, it is a real cable connected there or are you using that port virtually inside proxmox?

Thank you all.

casperghst42

Sep 14, 2015
Hi everyone,

View attachment 30959

I still fail to see why I would need 4K output on a router, a serial port or iKVM would be more useful. Also as we mostly put these things in a rack, it would also be nice to have all the buttons and access ports on the same side as the network interfaces.

stewart

May 16, 2023
I purchased a HUNSN RJ38 and I can't seem to get full speed out of the NICs. Most every connection only gives me 1.6Gbps. I'm using 2 PCs with 10Gbe NICs to test with. The ports link at 2.5Gbps but I don't get those speeds. CPU usage is fine. I've tried running Windows on the HUNSN and pfSense to route the iperf between the 2 PCs. All the same. Anyone else having difficulties getting their units to hit the full 2.5Gbps? Any ideas on tweaks? I've contacted HUNSN and they instructed me to enable Turbo, but it comes on by default.

I've also done some performance testing to see the balance of power/speed of the CPU. If anyone wants to look it over I've posted my numbers here in the pfSense forums. I'll update it as I do more. The short of it is that ST maxes at 7W and MT maxes at 9W. 10W was slightly faster and anything higher slowly decreased performance (at least from a Passmark standpoint).

PL1- Default (6) = Passmark MT/ST = 4559/1854
PL1-7 = Passmark MT/ST = 5153/2095
PL1-8 = Passmark MT/ST = 5617/2084
PL1-9 = Passmark MT/ST = 6009/2083
PL1-10 = Passmark MT/ST = 6118/2081
PL2 was set to 0 and showed 25. That was default and I didn't change it.

stewart

May 16, 2023
I still fail to see why I would need 4K output on a router, a serial port or iKVM would be more useful. Also as we mostly put these things in a rack, it would also be nice to have all the buttons and access ports on the same side as the network interfaces.
I think 4K is just because that is what is built into the IGP. I like having built in video so that I can integrate it into a KVM on the rack but I really wish there were console ports as well.

athurdent

Jul 6, 2023
I purchased a HUNSN RJ38 and I can't seem to get full speed out of the NICs. Most every connection only gives me 1.6Gbps. I'm using 2 PCs with 10Gbe NICs to test with. The ports link at 2.5Gbps but I don't get those speeds. CPU usage is fine. I've tried running Windows on the HUNSN and pfSense to route the iperf between the 2 PCs. All the same. Anyone else having difficulties getting their units to hit the full 2.5Gbps? Any ideas on tweaks? I've contacted HUNSN and they instructed me to enable Turbo, but it comes on by default.

I've also done some performance testing to see the balance of power/speed of the CPU. If anyone wants to look it over I've posted my numbers here in the pfSense forums. I'll update it as I do more. The short of it is that ST maxes at 7W and MT maxes at 9W. 10W was slightly faster and anything higher slowly decreased performance (at least from a Passmark standpoint).

PL1- Default (6) = Passmark MT/ST = 4559/1854
PL1-7 = Passmark MT/ST = 5153/2095
PL1-8 = Passmark MT/ST = 5617/2084
PL1-9 = Passmark MT/ST = 6009/2083
PL1-10 = Passmark MT/ST = 6118/2081
PL2 was set to 0 and showed 25. That was default and I didn't change it.
Is this also the case when not using interface 1? Did you try with interface 2 and 3 for example?
1.6G sounds familiar, my board needed a BIOS update because NIC 1 was limited on the PCI bus.

stewart

May 16, 2023
Is this also the case when not using interface 1? Did you try with interface 2 and 3 for example?
1.6G sounds familiar, my board needed a BIOS update because NIC 1 was limited on the PCI bus.
It appears to be all the ports. I've tried most every combination. I've asked for a BIOS update and that's when they told me to enable Turbo.

athurdent

Jul 6, 2023
Have you tried an Ubuntu live USB and iperf3 there? Maybe pfSense has crappy drivers. The OPNsense drivers deliver 2.5G here, too.

stewart

May 16, 2023
Have you tried an Ubuntu live USB and iperf3 there? Maybe pfSense has crappy drivers. The OPNsense drivers deliver 2.5G here, too.
I've tried it in both Windows and pfSense. It's the same across both of them. I can occasionally hit almost 2.4Gbps but it appears very random and very inconsistently. In face, today I haven't been able to get it at all. I'm trying a CMOS reset now to see if it helps.