CWWK/Topton/... Nxxx quad NIC router

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Donut7059

Jul 25, 2023
Anyone using this new 4 m2 adapter card?
I cant figure out from the document in chinese how the switches need to be set for m2 use not sata

MajorPayneDOF

Aug 3, 2023
Hi All. was thinking if we perhaps should create a worksheet with which RAM/NVME worked or failed. just placed an order without RAM and NVME as i was hopping to reuse Hardware that i had. but after reading here it looks like a bad idea.. so please if you have the SKU number for the HW used in your box, please please share
TEAMGROUP Elite SODIMM DDR5 32GB 4800MHz (PC5-38400) CL40 Non-ECC Unbuffered 1.1V 262 Pin Laptop Memory Module Ram - TED532G4800C40-S01
Samsung 970 1TB

Reactions: Jackomonster

idle_user

Jun 24, 2023
Hi All. was thinking if we perhaps should create a worksheet with which RAM/NVME worked or failed. just placed an order without RAM and NVME as i was hopping to reuse Hardware that i had. but after reading here it looks like a bad idea.. so please if you have the SKU number for the HW used in your box, please please share
Currently running:
Unit: N305 x3 (2 CWWK, 1 TopTon)
RAM: Crucial 32GB CT32G48C40S5 x3
SSD: 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus x5, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro w/ Heatsink x1

I have also used a Crucial 500GB SSD (CT500P2SSD8) just fine too, but swapped over to the 970 EVO Plus

Reactions: Jackomonster

idle_user

Jun 24, 2023
Has anyone managed to run USB3.0 from one of the NVMe slots? I have a Coral USB accelerator which I want to use, but I don't think the supplied USB 2.0 will cut it.

Another concern I have is that I'm already using the second NVMe slot, so idk if there's a a board available that allows to split between USB3.0 and a NVMe, and if there will be any drawbacks to it.

B0rg

Jun 14, 2023
I ordered this N100 model from amazon.de and wrote HUNSN to get a bios update. They responded really fast with a link to google drive with a zip file that has the bios and a guide in english. I've reuploaded it on mediafire here, in case the link they sent me was personal and not intended to share.

Could you compare it with the ccwk?
I checked the fimrware and they have the same filename name and md5 hash.

HUSN RJ34 RJ35 RJ36-N100 BIOS % md5 ADLN001_20230325.bin
MD5 (ADLN001_20230325.bin) = 8c995df5dee274cf9f2a929c95fa3dfb

CWWK CW-N100 % md5 ADLN001_20230325.bin
MD5 (ADLN001_20230325.bin) = 8c995df5dee274cf9f2a929c95fa3dfb

But this firmware is the stock one with build date 03/18/23 and i was missing option in the bios "Beep function" to disable the beep. Then CWWK gave me a newer one that has option again.

I also got a newer firmware file (CW-N100-4L-4K-nologo-230531.ISO) that should fix the black screen issue when you connect the unit to a 4k screen using HDMI. Did not install it yet to test.

Reactions: TiberiusX

daffy

Aug 1, 2023
I am not sure which of these devices to purchase, and whether I need any of these m.2 shim things (which I wouldn't know how to get, looking at Aliexpress and the like):

I want to run a really low-power, silent, low temperatures Linux box, fire and forget, in the roles of
  • active local artefact caching proxy - container images and the like
  • passive "off-the-cloud replica/backup" (via git --mirror, Google Drive rclone.org, and similar) - I only trust the cloud and my account's access to it so much, and I hope that I would not loose the cloud and this box at the same time
  • container host (low CPU, low I/O)
Basically a tiny local home NAS with barely any concurrent use, probably running k3s and some snapshotting file system.

This probably requires a handful (4-8?) TB of storage, the ability to read-saturate 2.5 Gb/s Ethernet, writes I don't mind.

Any suggestions?

Edit: The recent Youtube video about the CWWK N305 is what really motivates me to go into that direction. I am not interested in running big / expensive QNAP or Synology devices.

Last edited:

AnthonyUK

May 9, 2023
I am not sure which of these devices to purchase, and whether I need any of these m.2 shim things (which I wouldn't know how to get, looking at Aliexpress and the like):

I want to run a really low-power, silent, low temperatures Linux box, fire and forget, in the roles of
  • passive "off-the-cloud replica/backup" (via git --mirror, Google Drive rclone.org, and similar) - I only trust the cloud and my account's access to it so much, and I hope that I would not loose the cloud and this box at the same time
Basically a tiny local home NAS with barely any concurrent use, probably running k3s and some snapshotting file system.

This probably requires a handful (4-8?) TB of storage, the ability to read-saturate 2.5 Gb/s Ethernet, writes I don't mind.

Any suggestions?

Edit: The recent Youtube video about the CWWK N305 is what really motivates me to go into that direction. I am not interested in running big / expensive QNAP or Synology devices.

This STH vid might interest you if you do not want to go the Aliexpress route.
They do have a fan but it is basically inaudible.

Last edited:

daffy

Aug 1, 2023
if you do not want to go the Aliexpress route.
Ah, not to mislead: I have no issues purchasing from Aliexpress and Amazon (Europe), I just don't see these shim things and the like anywhere on offer (lest that I know whether I actually _need_ them)

These "upgrade from scrap parts" projects are much more difficult though, as I am unable to source those used parts at _decent_ prices in my vicinity.

Donut7059

Jul 25, 2023

Any suggestions?

the n305 isnt on amazon but the n200 version is from cwwk which i got and has the exact same case

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
Did you get "Version C"? The one with the big heatsinks on the top? Would love to know the idle / max power draw.

Check out Intel Ark to compare. For convenience, I added all 4 models to the link (N95, N100, N200, N305). I'll highlight the differences:
N95: 3.4 GHz max turbo, 4 cores, 16 EU graphics [15W TDP]
N100: 3.4 GHz max turbo, 4 cores, 24 EU graphics [6W TDP]
N200: 3.7 GHz max turbo, 4 cores, 32 EU graphics [6W TDP]
N305: 3.8 GHz max turbo, 8 cores, 32 EU graphics [15W TDP]
The rest is the same.

N95 and N305 are likely going to draw more power and run hotter, given their higher TDP limits. I think N100 is likely the sweet spot. N200 has about 9% more turbo boost, and 33% more graphics performance. For a mini firewall/router, graphics performance is not needed. The older-generation N5105 was already performant enough it seems, so the N100 should likely be plenty sufficient, and is a bit cheaper than the N200.
for at home routing with pfsense say (pf is single threaded from what i remember) would the 6w tdp N200 be able to saturate gigabit or firewalling or would there be any slowdown such that the 305 would be better?

MarylandIT

Aug 11, 2023
I received a Topton N100 from Aliexpress a few days ago. I tried using Corsair Vengeance RAM ( CMSX16GX5M1A4800C40 ) but it fails memtest, so I'm going to try Crucial instead. And it's running very hot (60+) during Memtest, so I'm going to try a copper shim between the heat sink and the CPU.

idle_user

Jun 24, 2023
I received a Topton N100 from Aliexpress a few days ago. I tried using Corsair Vengeance RAM ( CMSX16GX5M1A4800C40 ) but it fails memtest, so I'm going to try Crucial instead. And it's running very hot (60+) during Memtest, so I'm going to try a copper shim between the heat sink and the CPU.
I had similar experiences with my TopTon unit. See my previous posts for the stream of events.

In summary, I posted how my TopTon unit failed the memtest on my Corsair RAM immediately and ran extremely hot. Switching to crucial passed everything except Test 8, which is where it reboots.

After I received two CWWK units, I swapped power supplies, and this is when I learned that TopTon's provided power supply is to blame. With the CWWK power supply, the topton unit passed tests without any restarts. So I went on Amazon and bought a replacement and threw the one provided by TopTon away. Everything is working smoothly now.

I had already returned the Corsair RAM at that point, so I didn't get to run memtest with the working power supply. But it's worth to give it a shot before returning the RAM as faulty.

MarylandIT

Aug 11, 2023
I had similar experiences with my TopTon unit. See my previous posts for the stream of events.

In summary, I posted how my TopTon unit failed the memtest on my Corsair RAM immediately and ran extremely hot. Switching to crucial passed everything except Test 8, which is where it reboots.

After I received two CWWK units, I swapped power supplies, and this is when I learned that TopTon's provided power supply is to blame. With the CWWK power supply, the topton unit passed tests without any restarts. So I went on Amazon and bought a replacement and threw the one provided by TopTon away. Everything is working smoothly now.

I had already returned the Corsair RAM at that point, so I didn't get to run memtest with the working power supply. But it's worth to give it a shot before returning the RAM as faulty.
This is great info, thanks! I did breeze through the thread, but I think my eyes were glazing over by page 25. I'll check your posts now.

Reactions: idle_user