CWWK/Topton/... Nxxx quad NIC router

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Veeaye

Jun 19, 2023
Now that you mentioned, cpu overheating could be the cause of the observed instabilities too. Mine had unusually high temps out of the box, turned out there was a ~0.5mm gap between the cpu and the heatsink, and no amount of thermal paste reapplication could bring the temperature down to satisfactory levels. You might want to check yours too. Some others used a thermal pad to fill the gap, I didn't have any lying around and couldn't wait to buy so decided to file down the motherboard standoffs. The power button didn't quite fit the front cover after that, but at least the gap was closed and the idle temps settled at mid 40s with opnsense and a bunch of lazy services on proxmox. Have you tried reinstalling proxmox after repasting and with fanning?
I received replacement ram and did a full memtest86 pass without errors. I’m was certain this would resolve the issue but it did not.

I’m attaching photos of my gap - which does appear to be bridged with mx5 but it’s pretty thick. I reached near 100c with memmtest and I don’t think memmtest boosts cpu? Perhaps during the proxmox install it’s boosting and overheating. I did briefly see something about intel thermal during the proxmox installer load. Maybe it is not properly throttling down?

How does this compare to the gaps you guys have been dealing with? Any chance ohm’s idea of shaving down the standoffs will help with transfer and this could be and resolve the issue?

thanks all!

VIMG_4722.jpeg

Attachments

Veeaye

Jun 19, 2023
Try disabling FBID, either in the bios or the kernel boot options. Linux and FreeBSD have both had issues with e-cores. Someone linked a bug earlier and I found an article on Phoronix about it.

The symptom on FreeBSD is data corruption for UFS and FAT file systems. I'm not sure what happened on Linux.
I have been unable to find FBID settings. Googled with no luck, can you expand with a little more detail? I am definitely willing to try I just am unable to find anything related to FBID.

thank you!

Becks0815

Oct 15, 2022
reached near 100c with memmtest and I don’t think memmtest boosts cpu?
try repasting with a good thermal paste, run the test again. Temp. should stay wellbelow 50°C. Memtest is not cpu intensive, I would say it should even stay below 40°C, but this depends on the room temp.

If it is not the case, order a set of copper shims with different thicknesses, use a fitting one for the gap.

I ordered such a set even before the N100, just to have it ready if needed.

Last edited:

Veeaye

Jun 19, 2023
try repasting with a good thermal paste, run the test again. Temp. should stay wellbelow 50°C. Memtest is not cpu intensive, I would say it should even stay below 40°C, but this depends on the room temp.

If it is not the case, order a set of copper shims with different thicknesses, use a fitting one for the gap.

I ordered such a set even before the N100, just to have it ready if needed.
I did repaste with mx-5 which reduced temps by about 10c at after the same load was applied.

n305 should run hotter but yeah this seems excessive.

no shims but I have files and could follow ohm’s suggestion of filing down the standoffs a bit. shims are probably safer… and likely slightly less effective and I don’t have them.

mack

Jul 17, 2022
Hi, I bought one of these devices, the version with 5 internet ports (i226). I have a question, do you know any tool that allows you to reprogram the mac address? I want to use this device as a route, but the internet provider limits access to a specific mac address, and when another access is detected on the link, it is permanently blocked and changing to the correct one will not help.

nva

Aug 19, 2018
Hi, I bought one of these devices, the version with 5 internet ports (i226). I have a question, do you know any tool that allows you to reprogram the mac address? I want to use this device as a route, but the internet provider limits access to a specific mac address, and when another access is detected on the link, it is permanently blocked and changing to the correct one will not help.
What OS you're using as router? I believe most of them allow us to spoof MAC address.

molnart

Feb 5, 2023
i cannot find out how to search this megathread, but based on the few posts i've seen its seems my temperatures are too high:

Code:
root@pve-topton:~# sensors
nvme-pci-0100
Adapter: PCI adapter
Composite:    +64.8°C  (low  = -273.1°C, high = +80.8°C)
                       (crit = +81.8°C)
Sensor 1:     +64.8°C  (low  = -273.1°C, high = +65261.8°C)
Sensor 2:     +80.8°C  (low  = -273.1°C, high = +65261.8°C)

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Package id 0:  +60.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 0:        +60.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 1:        +60.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 2:        +60.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 3:        +60.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
this is basically without any load, OPNsense and bunch of docker containers running under proxmox. during VM migration my SSD temps went up to 79 C with evident throttling. the heatsink seems to "work" well, as its too hot to keep my finger on it. the device is a rack in my cellar with around 22-23 C temp. i think i will need to install a fan - noise is not an issue at all

Radix

Jun 11, 2023
i cannot find out how to search this megathread, but based on the few posts i've seen its seems my temperatures are too high:

this is basically without any load, OPNsense and bunch of docker containers running under proxmox. during VM migration my SSD temps went up to 79 C with evident throttling. the heatsink seems to "work" well, as its too hot to keep my finger on it. the device is a rack in my cellar with around 22-23 C temp. i think i will need to install a fan - noise is not an issue at all
Sounds more like you need to re-paste the heatsink. I would do that before going the fan route.

ohm

Jun 10, 2023
I received replacement ram and did a full memtest86 pass without errors. I’m was certain this would resolve the issue but it did not.

I’m attaching photos of my gap - which does appear to be bridged with mx5 but it’s pretty thick. I reached near 100c with memmtest and I don’t think memmtest boosts cpu? Perhaps during the proxmox install it’s boosting and overheating. I did briefly see something about intel thermal during the proxmox installer load. Maybe it is not properly throttling down?

How does this compare to the gaps you guys have been dealing with? Any chance ohm’s idea of shaving down the standoffs will help with transfer and this could be and resolve the issue?

thanks all!

VView attachment 30018
Couldn't really tell from the pics if there's any gap. Have you determined this? To properly confirm, you need to remove the paste first, place the cpu back and check again for gaps. You could also try applying a very thin layer of paste on 4 corners of the cpu, re-position it on the heatsink and then remove it to check if the paste had transferred onto the heatsink. This serves to verify if you have a level contact surface. If you choose to file the mb standoffs, do be reminded that the power button will probably no longer fit nicely into the front cover hole. You can choose to file the hole to fit, or remove the front cover like I did which also helps improve the ventilation for the nvme ssd.

Becks0815

Oct 15, 2022

Code:
root@pve-topton:~# sensors
nvme-pci-0100
Composite:    +64.8°C  (low  = -273.1°C, high = +80.8°C)
                       (crit = +81.8°C)
Sensor 1:     +64.8°C  (low  = -273.1°C, high = +65261.8°C)
Sensor 2:     +80.8°C  (low  = -273.1°C, high = +65261.8°C)

coretemp-isa-0000
Package id 0:  +60.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 0:        +60.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 1:        +60.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 2:        +60.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 3:        +60.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Way too high.

1) Repaste
2) shims

AnthonyUK

May 9, 2023
I use OPNSense (as a VM in Proxmox) and you can set a WAN MAC. I do the same so I obtain the correct static IP.
You really want to do this in software.

Reactions: SiVisPacem

Veeaye

Jun 19, 2023
Couldn't really tell from the pics if there's any gap. Have you determined this? To properly confirm, you need to remove the paste first, place the cpu back and check again for gaps. You could also try applying a very thin layer of paste on 4 corners of the cpu, re-position it on the heatsink and then remove it to check if the paste had transferred onto the heatsink. This serves to verify if you have a level contact surface. If you choose to file the mb standoffs, do be reminded that the power button will probably no longer fit nicely into the front cover hole. You can choose to file the hole to fit, or remove the front cover like I did which also helps improve the ventilation for the nvme ssd.
Appreciate that. While I may end up there if I decide I need to I am going to order the shims and see how that does.

Also when they come in I will post picture with no paste showing what gap I have, and if I find a particular size shim to fit well I will let everyone know here. I raised the issue (that I was having problems) immediately with Topton and they act like they might actually do something about it... However, if a shim or filing fixes it I may just go with that to avoid all the run around via Aliexpress.

I will let everyone here and the seller know though as I think its the right thing to do.

Appreciate all the input from everyone!

Becks0815

Oct 15, 2022
Just because the question is asked very often:

This is how the temperature looks like on a box with (hopefully) good thermal contact of the cpu, using Mx-4 paste, after pushing 10-20 MB/sec over the network for several hours, with a room temp. of 25°C:
Image 308.png

This box really doesn't get warm under network load. If you have 60°C or even higher temps, something is wrong and needs to be fixed.

awedio

Feb 24, 2012
@Becks0815 might be helpful if you edit your post to include some other info like mfg (Topton/CWWK), chassis type ("Y", straight fin) etc.

alexw1982

May 20, 2015
Germany
@Becks0815 ideally you put all the valuable insights into the first original post so that people are able to quickly find the information (Sth would really benefit from a wiki ☺)

AnthonyUK

May 9, 2023
Just because the question is asked very often:

This is how the temperature looks like on a box with (hopefully) good thermal contact of the cpu, using Mx-4 paste, after pushing 10-20 MB/sec over the network for several hours, with a room temp. of 25°C:

This box really doesn't get warm under network load. If you have 60°C or even higher temps, something is wrong and needs to be fixed.
I have a medium 12v case fan powered using a USB port (so 5v) sitting on top of my Topton box.

Code:
root@pve2:~# sensors
nvme-pci-0100
Composite:    +46.9°C  (low  =  -0.1°C, high = +83.8°C)
                       (crit = +87.8°C)
Sensor 1:     +60.9°C  (low  = -273.1°C, high = +65261.8°C)
Sensor 2:     +46.9°C  (low  = -273.1°C, high = +65261.8°C)

acpitz-acpi-0
Adapter: ACPI interface
temp1:        +27.8°C  (crit = +110.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0000
Package id 0:  +33.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 0:        +33.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 1:        +33.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 2:        +33.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 3:        +33.0°C  (high = +105.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)

nvme-pci-0600
Composite:    +45.9°C  (low  = -273.1°C, high = +84.8°C)
                       (crit = +84.8°C)
Sensor 1:     +45.9°C  (low  = -273.1°C, high = +65261.8°C)
Sensor 2:     +46.9°C  (low  = -273.1°C, high = +65261.8°C)

Reactions: abdullah

nense

Jun 7, 2023
Received mine today.
Doing initial tests.
With case opened.
Idle temp: 42C
Stress-ng matrix 0 for 5 minutes: 78C
Downloading at full bandwidth: 52C
Live Ubuntu.

Will try doing the becks tweaks on bios now.
Edit: bios tweaks
L1: 8000, 56°C, 4300 passmark
L1:12500, 70°C, 5900 passmark
I forgot to do passmark on bios default.
I will settle with L1: 12500

I also have the HDMI problem. Only way to get display was with display port on another monitor.
Edit:
The HDMI works on my dell. while the Benq doesn't work. tests done with different cables (too much trouble swaping cables here)

Last edited: