Chelsio dual port 10g NIC $19.72 with free shipping

Discussion in 'Great Deals' started by Fritz, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Fritz

Fritz Well-Known Member

I'm running one in a couple of desktops with no special cooling and haven't had any problems. One runs 24/7.

2. ttabbal

ttabbal Active Member

Perhaps I'm just intolerant to the things being hot. I got a decent uncomfortable burn from it. About the same as a passive heatsink on a CPU that gave me an overheating alarm. The one in my supermicro chassis doesn't get too hot with the airflow in there. So I just put a 40mm fan on it and it stays cool to the touch. This setup is not in a case at all, zero airflow. I mess with it pretty often and it runs nearly 24/7. So I don't like it hot, makes it uncomfortable to work on. Maybe I'm just weird, I'm ok with that. :)

3. Fritz

Fritz Well-Known Member

My mom taught me not to touch hot things. :)

4. mumford

mumford New Member

Well, if this thing really burns an extra 14W comparing to its competitors, costing an additional $18 a year to run 24/7 assuming $0.15 per kw electricity rate, I say this item is definitely a "hot" but not "great" deal.

5. Sleyk

Sleyk Active Member

Meh... the other components in your server will grab alot more energy than this card anyways. I mean, if your running a server 24/7, the card taking a few extra watts shouldn't really be a concern i guess. I think its a great deal. We just need to locate some proper standard height brackets. Oh yeah, that reminds me...

I know a guy who has a 3D printer on eBay. He printed out a few hard to find Supermicro i/o shields for my motherboard and posted them for sale on eBay recently. I would have bought from him, but then I found a Chinese seller selling the two i/o shields I needed at a nice price at the last minute, so I didnt bother. I am not good at marking up designs or anything, but if we did have a proper standard height pci bracket design, no harm in asking him to print us a few right? Here's this guys link to the listing I saw for the i/o shields:

X8sil-f supermicro 3d printed back plate black

If we can't grab a proper online design, I guess the only step would be to setup a send of a sample bracket to him so he could use it as a model to print more. Might be worth doing if we can't get standard height brackets anywhere, and from what I've seen so far, looks like our best option.

Oh and Mumford my pal, Welcome to STH my friend! Thanks for joining us! Its awesome to have ya!

6. mumford

mumford New Member

Thanks Sleyk.

7. Northern

Northern Member

Now $14.50 for the dual port card in OP with Free Shipping

8. Sleyk

Sleyk Active Member

Sweet. Seller offers a great deal on these cards. Shame we can't find decent brackets for them. I havent gotten in touch with the guy on eBay who has a 3D printer yet, but I will try to soon.

9. Alan Robertson

Alan Robertson New Member

HI

I had these cards in an HPX800 workstation and they burned out, they are ok for servers with high air flow
    we were pushing the cards with Petrel testing but we had to change to intel 10g in the workstartion.

10. Sleyk

Sleyk Active Member

Hey Alan! Welcome to STH! Glad to have ya here!
    I personally never got any major heat issues with these dual port chelsios. There may be something to what you're saying as you had to switch them out for intels. I have been using these bad boys from day one since I bough em and they run pretty good. I get full 10G bandwidth from them. They do seem to get alittle warm though. I think there should have been small fans attached to the heatsinks of these things, like some intel cards. All in all, these cards are old though. Might look into grabbing a few small fans to jerry rig in a few if I can find em cheap.

11. Alan Robertson

12. Alan Robertson

HI
    They were the model with the RJ45 port and not the SFP, I think they have a higher power like 17W
    than the SFP and the HPZ800 being a desktop workstation the fans were quiet on low speed. No problems in
    a rack server...

13. epicurean

epicurean Member

Anyone has any leads on getting full size brackets for these cards?

14. vpadro

vpadro New Member

Contacted Chelsio, but they ran out of brackets, at least that's what they told me after waiting for two weeks, I think somebody here was able to get a few, hope he can chime in.

15. saivert

saivert Member

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  16. Fritz

Fritz Well-Known Member

No shipping to the US. :(

17. Sleyk

Sleyk Active Member

Yeah, I have been searching and looking around as well. Seems like they are just nowhere to be found, which makes the card not good for new use, only if you were gonna replace a bad card and can reuse the old bracket of course. I contacted Chelsio with the same run around and they eventually just shut me down and told me they didnt have anymore.

I know a guy on eBay that prints i/o shields on his 3D printer. I will see if I can contact and ask if he will do full height pci brackets. He might need a sample though, I don't know. I meant to contact him before, but never got around to it. We'll see what he says.

18. NobleX13

NobleX13 Member

I have a 3D printer and was contemplating trying to model a bracket for these cards. I ordered two of them yesterday. I will reply to this thread with how things are going. Stay tuned.

19. Sleyk

Sleyk Active Member

Cool beans! Thanks NobleX! If we can get some decent brackets for these dual port chelsio's we can be in business!

20. brendantay

brendantay Member

I could order some and forward them on, but i think the cost would not really interest people here haha