Chelsio dual port 10g NIC $19.72 with free shipping

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
Perhaps I'm just intolerant to the things being hot. I got a decent uncomfortable burn from it. About the same as a passive heatsink on a CPU that gave me an overheating alarm. The one in my supermicro chassis doesn't get too hot with the airflow in there. So I just put a 40mm fan on it and it stays cool to the touch. This setup is not in a case at all, zero airflow. I mess with it pretty often and it runs nearly 24/7. So I don't like it hot, makes it uncomfortable to work on. Maybe I'm just weird, I'm ok with that. :)

mumford

Jun 25, 2016
Well, if this thing really burns an extra 14W comparing to its competitors, costing an additional $18 a year to run 24/7 assuming $0.15 per kw electricity rate, I say this item is definitely a "hot" but not "great" deal.

Alan Robertson

Aug 10, 2016
HI

I had these cards in an HPX800 workstation and they burned out, they are ok for servers with high air flow
we were pushing the cards with Petrel testing but we had to change to intel 10g in the workstartion.

Alan Robertson

Aug 10, 2016
Hey Alan! Welcome to STH! Glad to have ya here!
I personally never got any major heat issues with these dual port chelsios. There may be something to what you're saying as you had to switch them out for intels. I have been using these bad boys from day one since I bough em and they run pretty good. I get full 10G bandwidth from them. They do seem to get alittle warm though. I think there should have been small fans attached to the heatsinks of these things, like some intel cards. All in all, these cards are old though. Might look into grabbing a few small fans to jerry rig in a few if I can find em cheap.

Alan Robertson

Aug 10, 2016
HI
They were the model with the RJ45 port and not the SFP, I think they have a higher power like 17W
than the SFP and the HPZ800 being a desktop workstation the fans were quiet on low speed. No problems in
a rack server...

vpadro

Jul 16, 2015
Anyone has any leads on getting full size brackets for these cards?
Contacted Chelsio, but they ran out of brackets, at least that's what they told me after waiting for two weeks, I think somebody here was able to get a few, hope he can chime in.

NobleX13

Oct 2, 2014
I have a 3D printer and was contemplating trying to model a bracket for these cards. I ordered two of them yesterday. I will reply to this thread with how things are going. Stay tuned.

saivert

Nov 2, 2015
Norway
I don't understand why you waste your time with these nics. Do you really need Chelsio for some specific reason. I have also seen deals on Chelsio with proper brackets that isn't that much more expensive. Think about how much you would be paying to have brackets custom made or even purchase them. Also isn't your time worth something too?

Reactions: aero

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
I think we did not see the other Chelsio deals with regular brackets earlier on. Unfortunately, we are still stuck with these good cards, just need a solution for the brackets.

fjacques

Dec 13, 2016
As for these elusive standard height brackets, I have searched eBay high and low. I even bought a few experimental brackets from China in hopes one or so might work, but to no avail. The closest is the intel da x520 sfp+ dual port card, but the interface ports line up just slightly below the sfp+ ports for the chelsio card, so no fit.
i have a full length but looking for half length wanna trade ?

fjacques

Dec 13, 2016
Quick update on the seller: He literally just ignored the daylights out of me. Haha! I even sent him another email last week! Some people....ah well, the quest continues...

Well, for one my friend, the chelsio is the only nic that i can confirm works with pfsense and I have them integrated within all my pc's and my whole network. I could use the slightly newer mellanox nics, but I can't find a cheap dual port alternative to the chelsio's. It isnt a waste of time mate! We all pick and choose what works for us and our setups. Surely you understand the quest to find the cheapest most functional pieces of equipment? Ephasis: "cheapest" :p

Sure thing mate! PM me your address and I can send ya a couple for trade.

cant figure how lol you PM me, ill reply

maze

Apr 27, 2013
Anyone who Can confirm these to be working for esxi6.5? - want to use these in my vsan lab