Chelsio dual port 10g NIC $19.72 with free shipping

Discussion in 'Great Deals' started by Fritz, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Fritz

Fritz Well-Known Member

Sleyk and ecosse like this.
  2. epicurean

epicurean Member

Would you know where one can get standard profile brackets for this card?

3. d0kt0r

d0kt0r Member

Sorry for the joke, but chelsio sounded too me like cheerio.

Enviado desde mi LG-H815 mediante Tapatalk

Sleyk likes this.
  4. Fritz

Fritz Well-Known Member

Might try contacting Chelsio directly.

5. nephri

nephri Active Member

If i understand correctly, it's a T3 Generation ? If it's the case, i would prefer to go with at least a T4 generation card.

6. NetWise

NetWise Active Member

What are the major differences?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. nephri

nephri Active Member

T4 and T5 use their "unified wire driver" that supports all cards of theses generations.
    These drivers are better supported by many plateforms (windows, linux,...)

Prior T4 gen, you should use specific driver of the card and it's more tricky to find them.
    At the point, it's not so easy to determine which gen is 110-1088-30 model.... i'm not sure it's a T3 gen

8. Fritz

Fritz Well-Known Member

I bought one back in May and it uses the unified wire drivers. I believe it's a 320.

9. nephri

nephri Active Member

Yes it's seems to be a S320E or a N320E (not sure which one).
    They are T3 but effectively, they seems to support the unified wire driver.

10. snclawson

snclawson Member

Even cheaper now; on sale again for $18.85, but accepted $15 each for two.

NetWise likes this.
  11. NetWise

NetWise Active Member

Did anyone manage to source compatible brackets from anywhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. patchate

patchate Member

Anyone have issues with these cards generating too much heat? Search results for these seem to suggest that they run very hot - sometimes leading to the card's early demise via impromptu fire.

13. frogtech

frogtech Well-Known Member

Are you asking if the cards get hot or if they spontaneously combust?

14. patchate

patchate Member

I was wondering how hot they run compared to other 10g cards. I've seen one example of a spontaneous combustion of this card, but I doubt it happens very often, if at all.

15. Fritz

Fritz Well-Known Member

How does one tell how hot it's running? I'm running a half dozen of these and haven't had any issues.

16. patchate

patchate Member

Good to know, thanks.

I usually employ the index finger touch test. Of course, ointment and bandages from my first aid kit is sitting next to me...

One of these days, I should spring for the flir cameras. Or even the IR thermometer would do.

17. epicurean

epicurean Member

Anyone know where I can get full height brackets for these?

18. Sleyk

Sleyk Active Member

Fritz, I'm glad you posted this. I have been eyeing up this listing for a while now. I would have posted these sooner me-self. The reason I didn't post it here was due to the proprietary bracket, as I knew you guys couldn't use it unless you had some sort of way to mod the bracket somehow? The deal is still great for the card though. I can't seem to locate a seller with any brackets to fit this card anywhere on eBay. The seller has another listing for 5 cards for like $99 bucks too.

CHELSIO 110-1088-30 10G DUAL PORT SFT SERVER ADAPTER CARD LOT OF 5

As for the single listing, I got a little side info on it. I was negotiating with the seller, and the seller will go as low as $13.46/card. Look out for the listing with the 5 cards for $99 bucks as well. They will sometimes drop to $67.30. This was some 2 weeks ago. I don't know what they will take now, but you can try for $14 bucks per card or so now on the single listing.

As for these elusive standard height brackets, I have searched eBay high and low. I even bought a few experimental brackets from China in hopes one or so might work, but to no avail. The closest is the intel da x520 sfp+ dual port card, but the interface ports line up just slightly below the sfp+ ports for the chelsio card, so no fit.

I ended up actually contacting someone from Chelsio, and I asked them if they had any standard height brackets for these cards. The representative was nice, but said they weren't sure they had any left, because the card was clearly end of life. He told me he would get back to me soon to let me know if he had any. He hasn't gotten back to me as yet. I do plan on sending him a follow up email begging him to double check for me. In our initial correspondence, I asked him for 3 or so. Now I will ask for as many as they have left and if he can give me as much as possible. If I hear anything back, I will keep you guys posted. If I am able to get some, I will gladly post what I have here. That way we can take advantage of this deal on these cards.

I have like 4 of these cards that I bought from this exact listing, but they don't have any brackets on them as I took off the proprietary bracket off as soon as I got them. They are sitting at home right now in my dual port nic adapter box waiting to be standard profile matched.

Heheh. Impromptu Fire. But no joke, it can happen!

I saw this one forum post online awhile ago about some guy who posted a pic of his Chelsio card and the card was smoked and burnt. Someone there mentioned high temps, but besides that, I haven't really seen or heard of this happening alot at all. I mean, these are server grade cards, so i don't see why they couldn't handle alittle heat. Mines is running just fine in my server no problems. No extra ordinary heat production that I've seen.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
    Fritz likes this.
  19. ttabbal

ttabbal Active Member

For heat, they probably need airflow. They are designed to run in a server chassis. I had to put a fan on my Mellanox card that's not in a chassis. Just got too hot.

I bet we could whip up a bracket design for 3D printers.

20. BackupProphet

BackupProphet Well-Known Member

I've used Mellanox cards on desktops with no airflow and I don't get burned touching the heatsink. The Chelsios do get significantly warmer. Mellanox MNPH29D-XTR use around 7watt and Chelsio 320 use around 20 watt.