BANGING 24-bay barebones deal

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TD_Trader

Feb 26, 2013
In terms of heatsinks, I want to see what this indeed comes with. Usually getting SM passive ones are a good idea (especially if there is a shroud) and my other go-to options have been Dynatron. For active coolers I would use the SM 4U coolers since I think these are narrow ILM and they are 4U cases.
I sent Liquid a private message (via eBay) and I was told that the systems do not come with any CPU's, memory, or heat sinks, or no air shroud. I'll see what I get, but I'm not expecting an air shroud. I did visit the SuperMicro website, and did find the manual for the SC846, as well as the part number for the air shroud (MCP-310-49003-0N) and I did look over the manual, and it seems to be a "universal air shroud" but it references the X8 and X9 series motherboards. I'm just not sure about the CPU/heat sink placement on the MD70-HB0 mainboard, and whether ordering the SuperMicro heat sinks, CPU fans or Air Shroud would be a good idea or just a waste of money? (whether they would work or not?)

My shipment shipped yesterday, and based on the tracking number, I'm expecting delivery on Wednesday October 29th. :) :)

I'll post some pictures of the inside, and what the chassis comes with (upon receipt of my three systems).

As per page 4-10 of the SC846 Manual, it says:
"The SC846 chassis air shroud does not require screws to set up"

"2. Confirm that your air shroud matches your chassis model. Each shroud is labeled SC846LP, SC846RC, or SC846U."

Is that the metal bracket between the power supply housing and the air shroud?
Yes, based on the picture/image from the SC846 Chassis Manual, it does look like that is the dual 2.5" hard drive mounting bracket (in default "Position A").

Based on page 4-19 of the SC846 manual, I believe that is the hard drive cage.
"Position A - N/A (Default), or single 3.5" HDD tray, or dual 2.5" HDD tray."

TD_Trader

Feb 26, 2013
Please.. Just sell me one of these... :D
Everything has a price... (I should have ordered FOUR). There were eight left, after I purchased my three. So that means at least 8 of them were purchased after mine. I really should have ordered at least four. Oh well. :(

TD_Trader

Feb 26, 2013
When did you pick up yours? Must've missed you by a few hours :)
I ordered mine around 1:16AM on October 23rd. I believe they shipped out that same day. My tracking information that I received, shows that they should arrive in Chicago sometime on/around Wednesday October 29th.

There was eight systems left after I purchased my systems. So I'm guessing the remaining few got gobbled up during the early morning hours. I'm glad I at least bought what I have. I do wish that I would have grabbed at least one more, but hopefully they'll get more soon. :) :) :)

TD_Trader

Feb 26, 2013
Three pieces were shipped (553 pounds). Hopefully they will arrive quickly. I'll probably blow out my back when the driver shows up. :) :) :)

Just got the notification that mine shipped today via FedEx ground. Now on a cross country journey.
Yep, and now the wait begins... :(

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
how is it possible with weight 533?
Seems high to me also. The Supermicro 847A (36 drive 4U) was somewhere around 85lbs shipping weight earlier this week. Figure that is around $250lbs for 3. That did not have the HBA or motherboard but it did have more drive caddies.

Entz

Apr 25, 2013
Canada Eh?
No they are 6Gb. All that means is it has a single expander backplane, not dual (dual port for SAS drives, redundancy etc).

TD_Trader

Feb 26, 2013
Seems high to me also. The Supermicro 847A (36 drive 4U) was somewhere around 85lbs shipping weight earlier this week. Figure that is around $250lbs for 3. That did not have the HBA or motherboard but it did have more drive caddies.
I dunno, but I thought the shipping weight for three seemed extremely high as well. I was figuring about 90lbs each, and thought it would probably be about half of that weight (total). But based on the shipping/tracking information, it's actually 553 pounds, but I'm guessing maybe that is including the weight of the pallets? Maybe the pallets are made out of lead?

The freight company said that the shipment(s) were palletized. So I'm guessing that is probably including the weight of the pallets, but I thought it was fairly high as well (even with a pallet or two?). Also, my shipment originally said "FedEx Ground" (which is what I thought they were using) but I guess since I ordered three, they must be using some third-party shipping company (A.Duie.PYLE) and just putting the stuff on a pallet or two pallets and shipping via freight truck? I'm not exactly sure.

The email I got said "LTL Shipment Tracking" and it included a link to a third-party website (A.Duie.PYLE) for the shipping/tracking information. I hope they don't expect me to have a forklift or loading dock. Hopefully the truck that shows up, has a lift-gate, because that does seem extremely heavy. :(

I dunno, I'll see what I get when it arrives. Maybe I got lucky and they're shipping me all 20 units, or maybe it's just a few large boxes of bricks.

Hopefully I got extremely lucky, and maybe they shipped me an old unit with all the old hard drives still in it? ;-)

I'll see what happens when it arrives. :) :) :)

yu130960

Sep 4, 2013
Canada
I have two of these and the fans are not loud if your MB does proper PWM and for my JBOD rig I just built one of these

I have had an extra one I built (in the video) for sale for a while at cost, if anyone needs it. You can use a splitter to control all your fans and it is mounted on a std bracket to mount in PCI slot.

Chuntzu

Jun 30, 2013
I have two of these and the fans are not loud if your MB does proper PWM and for my JBOD rig I just built one of these

I have had an extra one I built (in the video) for sale for a while at cost, if anyone needs it. You can use a splitter to control all your fans and it is mounted on a std bracket to mount in PCI slot.
Hey I have a few jbods that need a pwm fan control, how and or where can I purchase/build 3-4 of those controllers. Please and thank you! [emoji1]

yu130960

Sep 4, 2013
Canada
Don't mean to threadjack but here are the details on building your own powerful 556-based (vs. the 555 based) PWM controller powered by molex connector

I built a couple of fan controllers based on the these schematics and ordered the appropriate PWM fan splitting cable to do 5 fans.

Don't have the time to build more, but it is fairly easy if you have a soldering iron and digikey. Cost me $50 (with cables), but gets the wife off my back.