BANGING 24-bay barebones deal

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Triggerhappy

Nov 18, 2012
I'll strap them to my back and walk home (in 10 feet of snow, if I must...) ;-)

Hopefully I'll have all my stuff tomorrow. :) :) :)
Uphill both ways? :D

Mine was delivered yesterday to my holding facility. Wife has to make a last minute trip to the US tomorrow morning so she said she'd pick up my packages too. To those that picked one up, Liquid8 didn't use any oversized boxes did they? I've picked up full servers before no problem and they fit in the SUV. Just want to make sure wife won't have any trouble or else I'll be getting a double talking to when she comes back instead of just a frown.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Liquid8 didn't use any oversized boxes did they?
Box was just barely bigger than the server, fit easily in a Honda Fit (I had it held at FexEx Office due to signature requirement). FedEx weight stamped it at 77 lbs so even if the box isn't oversize you still might have some sweet talking to do when she gets back.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Box was just barely bigger than the server, fit easily in a Honda Fit (I had it held at FexEx Office due to signature requirement). FedEx weight stamped it at 77 lbs so even if the box isn't oversize you still might have some sweet talking to do when she gets back.
Yea mine arrived today. Same experience (relatively small box).

Hope to unbox it tomorrow. Giants win tonight!

Triggerhappy

Nov 18, 2012
Thanks. They've got people to load it in for her so I'm not worried about that. Maybe it'll even be my day tomorrow and the CBSA guy will let it through without duties (wishful thinking i know). Now I get to make the tough choice of transplanting my current Opteron into this chassis and selling off the mobo / sas card or do I bite the bullet and move to an E5. Hopefully i'll be able to resist the upgrade bug.

Thanks again OP!

TD_Trader

Feb 26, 2013
Giants win tonight!
Bumgarner pitched five scoreless innings! Their third World-Series in 5 years... I'm happy for SF. My Chicago Cubs have absolutely zero hope/chance at ever winning a World Series (during my lifetime?) I probably got a better chance at winning the lotto (3 times in a row) then seeing the Cubs in a World Series.

Truthfully, the Chicago Blackhawks have a much better chance at winning a SuperBowl or World Series than the Cubs or the Bears. The Bears are currently 3-5, it's just painful to watch. :(

FedEx weight stamped it at 77 lbs so even if the box isn't oversize you still might have some sweet talking to do when she gets back.
My girlfriend would probably beat me with a lead pipe if I asked her to fetch a 77lbs box. Either way, you'll probably have some extra sweet talking to do when she gets home. Better just order her some roses and Godiva chocolates now and have them waiting for her before she gets back. ;-)

While she is out, can you see if she'll swing by and pick up my shipments as well... ;-)

Thanks. They've got people to load it in for her so I'm not worried about that.
My girlfriend would still probably beat me with a lead pipe...

Now I get to make the tough choice of transplanting my current Opteron into this chassis and selling off the mobo / sas card or do I bite the bullet and move to an E5. Hopefully i'll be able to resist the upgrade bug.
I'm going to try and put two E-5's on a Gigabyte MD70-HB0 (if I can get it all to fit). How can you possibly resist the shiny new E-5? ;-)

Reactions: Chuntzu

Stanza

Jan 11, 2014
Shipping companies use cubic weight, not actual weight.... Or whatever is the greatest.

I would guess that as they are palletised, the cubic weight was used..... Hence the 533 figure.

Eg use this
Cubic Volumetric Calculator | Toll Group - Providing Global Logistics

Normal pallet size is 120cm x 120cm.... And I guesstimate that the height would be approx 50cm (cases plus pallet height)

Hence the (what seems) large weight value.

Hank C

Jun 16, 2014
but TD_Trader has 7 boxes...when he ordered 3. Does that mean he got 4 extra?

Triggerhappy

Nov 18, 2012
My girlfriend would still probably beat me with a lead pipe...
Perfect example of girlfriend vs. wife. If she beats me, I can't make money since I'm a consultant / contract worker :D.

How can you possibly resist the shiny new E-5? ;-)
I'd probably buy used, so chances are it'd be scratched up and no longer shiny. I already have more processing power in my house than the entire office I work at. Only so much I can justify to transcode, backup and learn on.

TD_Trader

Feb 26, 2013
but TD_Trader has 7 boxes...when he ordered 3. Does that mean he got 4 extra?
I wish, I got nothing! I went to the shipping/freight center early this morning, and the pallet is missing. They don't know where its' at. We spent almost 2 hours looking for it, and they still don't know where the pallet is. They believe it might be out on a truck somewhere (by accident?) but they don't know where the pallet currently is.

The dispatcher said that she would try to find the pallet when the trucks return for the day, and that she would try to put it on a truck and deliver it tomorrow?

(Which doesn't really help me much, since I rented a van and I'm here NOW to pick it up...)

I'm really not liking this Dayton Freight right now, and I'm really irritated that Liquid shipped via LTL instead of FedEx Ground/Home Delivery.

My systems BETTER include heat sinks and an air shroud, that's all I'm saying... :( :( :(

TD_Trader

Feb 26, 2013
Perfect example of girlfriend vs. wife. If she beats me, I can't make money since I'm a consultant / contract worker :D.
Well, then that's the excuse that I'm gonna try to use from now on! :) :)

I'd probably buy used, so chances are it'd be scratched up and no longer shiny.
A little bit of Brasso, and a tiny smudge of Gadget Care can make it all shiny again! :)

I already have more processing power in my house than the entire office I work at. Only so much I can justify to transcode, backup and learn on.
Yeah, I have a full CCIE rack of Cisco equipment (for my Cisco lab). I also have eight C6100's (with four nodes each) all connected via Infiniband (for my home vSphere/ESXi/OpenStack lab).

These SC846's will only add to my home collection, but one SC846 I plan to throw a MD70-HB0 into it, and use it for video editing/storage and 3D rendering (to possibly replace my Mac Pro). The remaining SC846's will be used to replace a few Norco's for personal web/file hosting, VM's, backups, transcoding, movie storage and TV Show storage/archival, home automation system and CCTV/surveillance camera video storage. I have enough server junk at the house to make my electric meter spin much faster than I would like. :(

Last edited:

Hank C

Jun 16, 2014
is it worth it to change the PSU to platinum 1280W one for reducing noise? PWS-1K28P-SQ

TD_Trader

Feb 26, 2013
I just got home, pulled in the driveway and there's a semi-truck parked on the street in front of my house. :)

I'm guessing that the server equipment is here. :) :) :)

Hank C

Jun 16, 2014
supposedly I will get mine tomorrow even though I delayed my payment..

TD_Trader

Feb 26, 2013
There were three total pallets, but only one and a half (3 systems) were actually mine. My name/address was on all three pallets/shipments. Apparently someone messed up the shipment paperwork.

The systems were/are delivered, and everything looks to be in fairly good shape. I haven't had time to inspect everything, but I'll post some pictures of the insides of the servers in a few minutes.

Pictures:

Dayton Freight Delivery - Imgur

Dayton Freight Delivery - Imgur

Last edited:

TD_Trader

Feb 26, 2013
Three Chassis, each with dual redundant 1200W power supplies.

One chassis had both heat sinks, and one air shroud (complete).
Second chassis had both heat sinks (no air shroud).
Third chassis had no heat sinks and no air shroud.

One chassis has a scuff mark on one of the hard drive trays. All three had a few minor scratches on the top of the chassis, but all in all the stuff seems like it's in fairly good shape.

I haven't had a chance to inspect any of the equipment, or power it up, or test anything, but just by first glance it seems like it's in fairly decent shape (other than a few minor scuffs). :)

Pictures of the SC846's:
SuperMicro SC846's - Imgur

Chassis with two heat sinks, air shroud and dual 2.5" hard drive bracket:

Chassis with two heat sinks and dual 2.5" hard drive bracket (no air shroud)

Scuffed hard drive tray:

Chassis Front Exterior:

TD_Trader

Feb 26, 2013
I did notice that on the first chassis (with the two heat sinks and the air shroud) that the Supermicro AOC-USAS2-L8I Eight-Port 6Gb/s SAS Internal Add-on RAID Adapter Card is missing the metal mounting bracket, and is held in place by two plastic zip ties. (I'll search ebay tomorrow and see if I can find a metal mounting bracket for a SuperMicro AOC-USAS2-L8i RAID Adapter card).

But just based on a brief visual inspection, it does look like the equipment is in fairly nice shape.

The backplane has three ports on it, there seems to be six places/locations were 6 ports could have been installed, but it looks like only three ports were soldered onto the backplane. The backplane has a SuperMicro "QA" sticker that says "Feb 13 2013 - TEST - PASS"

So the backplane can't be that old (probably a year and a half old).

I still haven't powered anything on, I'm going to have to find some CPU's and RAM, but probably won't test or power anything on till maybe this weekend when I have more time.

Thanks OP for the great find! :) :) :)