BANGING 24-bay barebones deal

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

yu130960

Sep 4, 2013
Canada
I don't think any of those are PWM generators (there are some splitters). The fans are built to be controlled by PWM. The rehostat controllers simply use resistive forces to reduce the voltage, at a certain low voltage the fan won't spin. I did the research a year ago and decided that I wanted the fans to be controlled as they were designed to be controlled. Its just in my JBOD rig, there is no motherboard to send the PWM signal, so I had to build a powerful generator to feed the San Ace fans.

I also didn't want to hack the sh3t out of the case as the 120 mm fan wall proposed to do and the San Ace are great fans if you could just slow them down.

Hank C

Jun 16, 2014
so you basically have build one for pwm generator. There is no such product out there?

Entz

Apr 25, 2013
Canada Eh?
I used the Zalman PWM Mate (connected to a powered splitter) in my 836E16 chassis. Not sure if you can still get them though..

IIRC it required some modifications to work properly without a PWM header though

Last edited:

yu130960

Sep 4, 2013
Canada
I used the Zalman PWM Mate (connected to a powered splitter) in my 836E16 chassis. Not sure if you can still get them though..

IIRC it required some modifications to work properly without a PWM header though
Zalman did have a PWM generator out sometime ago but they stopped making it IIRC.

TD_Trader

Feb 26, 2013
Just got the notification that mine shipped today via FedEx ground.
A Semi-Truck (Dayton Freight) just pulled into my driveway at home, asking where my "loading dock" is located, and asking where my forklift is. :(

The items were palletized, and the driver said he would need to come back tomorrow with a different truck (with a lift-gate), since I don't have a loading dock or forklift at the house.

TD_Trader

Feb 26, 2013

yu130960

Sep 4, 2013
Canada
Yeah, I think Sunbeam also makes one (out of China) for about $11

I think it supports 11W per channel, I supposed you could probably use a 5-way splitter cable with it (if you really wanted to). Might save you some soldering and part hunting.

Sunbeam 20W Rheosmart PCI Slot Smart Fan Controller - (PL-RS-PCI) - FrozenCPU.com
Rheostats (as opposed to PWM generators) use resisters to reduce the voltage (some fans including the big San Aces won't run when the voltage get too low) and a PWM generates works on pulses and the fans are designed to run with them at a reduced speed. I can turn them right down to silent by using the PWM.

Reactions: TD_Trader

TD_Trader

Feb 26, 2013
Wasn't planning to go direct. Just wanted to confirm backplane type.

Seller confirms backplane is sas2-e1. This box is a steal...
This is the exact response I received when I was ordering my three SC846 units from Liquid8:

Thank you for your interest. The backplane version is sas2-846el1
The unit includes everything mentioned in the item description:

-2x 1200W p/n: PWS-1K21P-1R (hot swap) Power Supplies
-Server side rails included; inv.# 123678 rack side rail (outside rail)
-Mobo p/n: X9DRL-iF

As stated in the auction the unit does not include a CPU, which means it also does not include any heatsinks or air shrouds.
Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

-Nick
- liquid8technology.com

When I asked via Ebay (prior to purchase), I was told that this has the "SAS2-846EL1" backplane as well.

I was also told there were no heatsinks, or air shrouds, but I guess I'll see what's inside when the shipment is delivered. My stuff should be showing up (again) tomorrow. Hopefully they will bring a lift-gate truck tomorrow, because the driver had no lift-gate, no pallet jack, and he was expecting me to have a forklift and loading dock at my house.

I'm hoping my shipment arrives tomorrow (with a different truck), and I really hope they will deliver to the door (or at least to the garage). :) :) :)

Hank C

Jun 16, 2014
When you get more than 2, they are expecting you to be at a company, not a home.

TD_Trader

Feb 26, 2013
Slacker! :p That is what you get for hogging 3 of them.
Well, all three of mine are being held up at a warehouse (shipping/freight center) since Monday. Dayton Freight has the shipment (palletized) but they can't deliver to a residential address (without authorization for a straight truck and/or lift gate delivery). They won't bring a tractor trailer to the residential address again (street/address restrictions and I don't have a loading dock and/or fork lift). They are still waiting for an authorization from the shipper (Liquid 8) to authorize delivery via a small straight truck (with liftgate) for residential/home delivery.

It has been 2 days already, and they still have not received a response from Liquid 8. I called Dayton Freight this morning, and the shipment is still not out for delivery (yet again, today). No ETA as to when it will be delivered. It's not looking good. :(

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
If I were you is drive down and just pick them up. I had to do that with a pallet a few months ago. I rented a pickup over a long lunch break and did it.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Delivered.

Looks great. Included both heatsinks and the air shroud. Guess that part is hit-and-miss but I'm glad to have it. Fans are current generation four-pin fans so I don't expect it to be unreasonably loud. Includes the dual 2.5" housing mounted against the PSU cage. PSUs were pulled and separately bubble-wrapped. Nice touch. I'll pull a CPU from one of my other systems this weekend and fire it up to see what happens.

Only complaint: peanuts. I HATE f'n peanuts, especially for shipping servers and electronics. They are static'y, messy, and generally unfriendly for garbage and the environment.

TD_Trader

Feb 26, 2013
If I were you is drive down and just pick them up. I had to do that with a pallet a few months ago. I rented a pickup over a long lunch break and did it.
I called Dayton Freight this afternoon, and told them to just hold the shipment/pallet for pickup. They said that I could come pick it up tomorrow morning at 9AM. The address for the shipping center/warehouse is about an hour north of me (just north of O'Hare airport in Des Plaines).

I'll probably just rent a small truck/van, and drive up there to pick it up. It's cheaper than paying $300 for a straight truck delivery (with lift-gate).

I really wish that Liquid 8 would have just shipped FedEx Ground/Home Delivery (to the door) like it said in the eBay listing. :(

Dayton Freight said that there are eight boxes on a pallet (7 large boxes and one small). I'm still confused by the weight/boxes, because there should only be three boxes (as far as I know), and the total shipping weight should probably be about 75lbs x 3 = 225 pounds which is less than half the actual shipping weight (553 pounds) that they are quoting. I asked if they actually weighed it, and they said that it's the correct weight for the shipment.

I understand the pallet might weigh 33-48lbs (depending on the wood type, and the moisture content of the wood). But even so, it does seem like the shipment weight (and number of boxes) is still way off.

I'm probably going to rent a truck/cargo van tonight and head out there early tomorrow morning and see if I can just pick the stuff up.

I still think that FedEx Ground/Home Delivery would have been the cheapest and easiest. :(

Delivered.

Looks great. Included both heatsinks and the air shroud. Guess that part is hit-and-miss but I'm glad to have it. Fans are current generation four-pin fans so I don't expect it to be unreasonably loud. Includes the dual 2.5" housing mounted against the PSU cage. PSUs were pulled and separately bubble-wrapped. Nice touch. I'll pull a CPU from one of my other systems this weekend and fire it up to see what happens.

Only complaint: peanuts. I HATE f'n peanuts, especially for shipping servers and electronics. They are static'y, messy, and generally unfriendly for garbage and the environment.
Congrats on receiving your shipment! I'm really hoping to have my stuff sometime tomorrow.

Looks great. Included both heatsinks and the air shroud. Guess that part is hit-and-miss but I'm glad to have it. Fans are current generation four-pin fans so I don't expect it to be unreasonably loud. Includes the dual 2.5" housing mounted against the PSU cage. PSUs were pulled and separately bubble-wrapped. Nice touch.
Congrats on the heat sinks, air shroud and hard drive cages! You got both heat sinks and the air shroud. I'm really hoping that I get that lucky! I should know more tomorrow. :)