ASUS KRPA-U16 full BIOS dump request

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Gabber

Jun 19, 2020
Italy
@Gabber @Quantum @Brainbug @yesoos I have the KRPA-U16 motherboard, and i bought a preprogrammed bios chip with bios 3.02 on it because i have a EPYC zs1406e2vjug5 .
i bought it from this link

i asked for a krpa-u16 bios with 3.02 code this is what i was sent

just by looking at the board, it doesn't look like this is the right chip.. can anyone with an asus krpa-u16 board confirm this is the right bios chip?

here is a picture of my motherboard and bios chip, my question is . is the bios chip soldered onto the motherboard? and am i on the right chip..
and if i indeed need to get a bios flasher, can someone point me to one? thanks

So sorry to tell you this but you buy a complete wrong chip. The correct one is the Windbond 25Q256JVFQ (the second photo on imgur).

You can flash the correct bios using the SPI1 header that is just next to the chip. I made that using a Raspberry Pi, but a CH341A is fine, too.
I sudjest you to DO NOT buy a preprogrammed chip beacuse the soldering job is difficoult and dangerous.

I would like to write a guide for asus bios' flash with Raspberry, but I'm too busy now for doing that. Maybe in august, maybe.
I start with no experience, read about eeprom flash, asus SPI1 header pinout, flashrom(dot)org software for Raspberry and finish up flashing 0302 bios dump file provided a few post upward.
Hi, Here is full dump in case you erased entire flash
KRPA-U16.7z

@ari2asem none of your three chips are bios eeprom.

Reactions: chraac

craig5571

May 31, 2020
So sorry to tell you this but you buy a complete wrong chip. The correct one is the Windbond 25Q256JVFQ (the second photo on imgur).

You can flash the correct bios using the SPI1 header that is just next to the chip. I made that using a Raspberry Pi, but a CH341A is fine, too.
I sudjest you to DO NOT buy a preprogrammed chip beacuse the soldering job is difficoult and dangerous.

I would like to write a guide for asus bios' flash with Raspberry, but I'm too busy now for doing that. Maybe in august, maybe.
I start with no experience, read about eeprom flash, asus SPI1 header pinout, flashrom(dot)org software for Raspberry and finish up flashing 0302 bios dump file provided a few post upward.

@ari2asem none of your three chips are bios eeprom.
@Gabber @Quantum @Brainbug @yesoos

right now the motherboard, doesn't have a cpu attached or memory installed. ( i have them , just haven't installed them yet. ) can i upgrade / downgrade the bios , while the motherboard is in this state?

The motherboard is new out of the box, so i don't know which bios it has on it yet.. the bios needs to be v3.02.
in order for my ES cpu to work.

craig5571

May 31, 2020

right now the motherboard, doesn't have a cpu attached or memory installed. ( i have them , just haven't installed them yet. ) can i upgrade / downgrade the bios , while the motherboard is in this state?

The motherboard is new out of the box, so i don't know which bios it has on it yet.. the bios needs to be v3.02.

would this be the right tool to order CH341A. ( if there is a better one , please suggest it.. i just saw this one.. but want a good one.)
Amazon.com: KeeYees SOP8 SOIC8 Test Clip for EEPROM 25CXX / 24CXX with CH341A 24 25 Series EEPROM Flash Bios USB Programmer: Computers & Accessories

Last edited:

Gabber

Jun 19, 2020
Italy

First of all give it a try: install your CPU, install ONE dimm of ram in C2 slot, and power on the system.

If you are luk everything works otherwise if you got a d1 error on the code display you have to flash the bios (my motherboard came with 0501, but older stocks are provided with 0302).
You can't flash (downgrade) the bios over IPMI or with Asus AZFlasher, You need to flash it over SPI, so neither the CPU nor the ram will help you.

Put some attention on the thightening of the socket's screws beause it can create memory reading error.

The link you provided seems to be good, the problem with bios chips is that the flasher software must recognize it. You should write to the seller and ask him if the software lists the Windbond 25Q256JVFQ chip.
I'm not sure what software you will recive with that programmer. I look for it for a while, that I decide to flash with my Pi.

craig5571

May 31, 2020
First of all give it a try: install your CPU, install ONE dimm of ram in C2 slot, and power on the system.

If you are luk everything works otherwise if you got a d1 error on the code display you have to flash the bios (my motherboard came with 0501, but older stocks are provided with 0302).
You can't flash (downgrade) the bios over IPMI or with Asus AZFlasher, You need to flash it over SPI, so neither the CPU nor the ram will help you.

Put some attention on the thightening of the socket's screws beause it can create memory reading error.

The link you provided seems to be good, the problem with bios chips is that the flasher software must recognize it. You should write to the seller and ask him if the software lists the Windbond 25Q256JVFQ chip.
I'm not sure what software you will recive with that programmer. I look for it for a while, that I decide to flash with my Pi.
@Gabber , thank you so much, I have a raspberry Pi ( the original and a model 2) will either of these work? i think you mentioned the software was called flashrom? , i think i will need to get a cable to attach from the raspberry pi to the SPi port on the motherboard. can you tell me what type of cable to use? and finally have you documented the process you used with the pi to flash the spi port? I have never done this particular thing before. but almost everything else. Thank you so much for the help . I really appreciate it.

Gabber

Jun 19, 2020
Italy
@Gabber , thank you so much, I have a raspberry Pi ( the original and a model 2) will either of these work? i think you mentioned the software was called flashrom? , i think i will need to get a cable to attach from the raspberry pi to the SPi port on the motherboard. can you tell me what type of cable to use? and finally have you documented the process you used with the pi to flash the spi port? I have never done this particular thing before. but almost everything else. Thank you so much for the help . I really appreciate it.
I used a Pi 3 but it is the same, you just need Raspbian and flashrom software.
I used some (naked) juper cables (the Pi header is 2.54 mm pitch while the Asus SPI1 is 2 mm, so the plastic insulation does not fit).
For the pinout on the Asus board I refered to this https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?96419-What-is-the-9-pin-header-above-the-top-PCIe-x16-slot/page2.

You should also read this https://www.rototron.info/recover-bricked-bios-using-flashrom-on-a-raspberry-pi/ (probably this version of flashrom does not work but if you are practical with the Pi you can download and make the correct version [last one]).

I had not documentate the procedure but you should (after install flashrom on a working Raspbian):
  1. connect the jumpers (nothing install on motherboard, no CPU, no ram, NO PSU, nothing);
  2. power on the Pi and run flashrom;
  3. read the chip;
  4. back-up the chip;
  5. flash the dump file on the chip (.7z archive a few post upward);
  6. power-off and disconnect Pi;
  7. power on the system (you should try without and then with component if you prefer);
  8. Enjoy the computational power & send me a beer ;)

Make sure you use 3.3V ONLY and you DON'T SHORT-CIRCUIT pins and double check the connection before. Sorry I have to write it for all people will read this post. I'm not responsable to any sort of damage. Be carefull!

Reactions: craig5571

craig5571

May 31, 2020
@Gabber thanks for the advice, here is the pi that i have its a Raspberry pi 2 model b v1.1 ..

I ordered this from amazon

and this

thanks

Last edited:

Gabber

Jun 19, 2020
Italy
@Gabber thanks for the advice, here is the pi that i have its a Raspberry pi 2 model b v1.1 ..

I ordered this from amazon

and this

thanks
Great buy, I also suggest you to buy a breadboard if you haven't one.

Here you have the pinout, you should connect:

Raspberry <==> EEPROM
3.3V <==> 3.3V
GND <==> GND
MISO <==> MISO
MOSI <==> MOSI
CE0 <==> CS
3.3V <==> HOLD
X <==> WP

X = I can't remember if I leaved it free or attached to 3.3V. You try leave it free first.

GPIO-Pinout-Diagram-2.png
Credit: GPIO - Raspberry Pi Documentation

craig5571

May 31, 2020
@Gabber ok I got the pi and all the parts and tried to flash the rom.. it wasn't detected... i used the -V flag for verbose mode was using raspberry pi 2
here are some pics
i went to the local microcenter, and picked up a raspberry pi 4 2gb...

i'm pretty sure , i was confused on how to cable it up..

can some one clarify what the correct pinouts are.. the raspberry pi i have is a 4 2gb and connecting the the krpa-u16 motherboard. with nothing else connnected to it. no power supply , no memory , no cpu.

thanks for all the help . this is the last step. then i'll have a working system.. ( trying to get to bios 3.02, because i have a an epyc ES 64 core)

Gabber

Jun 19, 2020
Italy
@Gabber ok I got the pi and all the parts and tried to flash the rom.. it wasn't detected... i used the -V flag for verbose mode was using raspberry pi 2
here are some pics

can some one clarify what the correct pinouts are.. the raspberry pi i have is a 4 2gb and connecting the the krpa-u16 motherboard. with nothing else connnected to it. no power supply , no memory , no cpu.

thanks for all the help . this is the last step. then i'll have a working system.. ( trying to get to bios 3.02, because i have a an epyc ES 64 core)
Please double check your connections because I can't evaluate they from theese photos. All Raspberry from 1 B+ to 4 have the same pinout on GPIO, but I think the error are not in the connections.

You probably have the wrong version of flashrom (see the devices list, there is NOT the W25Q256JVFQ).
Do not install flashrom by sudo apt-get install flashrom , download the last version of flashrom from the site, then sudo make it from your Raspberry (look for the procedure only if you don't know what i mean, please).

Try flashrom -L and check if the bios chip is now in list.

I had a similar problem with the first flashrom version i had installed. Make this procedure and you will win.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Clip is 16 PIN. I especially ordered an 16 PIN.
Software is showing 8pin chip, select a 16pin chip in the software(if available)
if not you need a 8 to 16 pin adapter then.
also its possible the programmer/clip supplies other 3.3V parts of the motherboard, not all boards support in circuit flashing.

Reactions: cool_recep

cool_recep

Apr 7, 2022
here are some pics

PIN#1 is NC yet you seem to have connected it. Either your conneciton is wrong our your guide @Gabber

I've connected everything except the WP yet flashrom still can not detect the chip.

Yes it is up to date, yes I've compiled it myself.

Trying with Pi Zero with zero luck. Gonna buy Pi 4 but could you please be more specific about the pinout please? There are multiple same connections like CE0.

Last edited:

cool_recep

Apr 7, 2022
I ordered a Raspberry Pi 4. In the meantime, I'll give in another try with CH341A Pro. Is this pinout correct?

1650964189131.png

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
here is a picture of my motherboard and bios chip, my question is . is the bios chip soldered onto the motherboard?
VyqkSRP.jpeg
if i take a short look this chip i would say this is BMC FW chip, KRA16231.ima is 32MB in size, BIOS file is 16mb.
there is another candidate: the 8 pin SOIC near the ATX24P connector. can someone check what chip this is ?
we are searching for a 25q128 / 25L128 or similar.
probably the BIOS chip is on the back side on the mboard, where the 8 Pin DIP socket is(if not equipped)
KRPA-U16 BIOS.jpg
update:
found a picture of KNPA-U16 which has a 8 Pin DIP BIOS chip, and the 16 Pin SOIC is missing.
KNPA-IMG_0552.jpeg

Last edited:

cool_recep

Apr 7, 2022
View attachment 22661
if i take a short look this chip i would say this is BMC FW chip, KRA16231.ima is 32MB in size, BIOS file is 16mb.
there is another candidate: the 8 pin SOIC near the ATX24P connector. can someone check what chip this is ?
we are searching for a 25q128 / 25L128 or similar.
probably the BIOS chip is on the back side on the mboard, where the 8 Pin DIP socket is(if not equipped)
View attachment 22662
update:
found a picture of KNPA-U16 which has a 8 Pin DIP BIOS chip, and the 16 Pin SOIC is missing.
View attachment 22663
Are you sure?

I have KRPA-U16 and the SPI header is near 25Q256JVFQ. Why would they provide SPI header for the BMC chip when you can upate it via web interface?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I have KRPA-U16 and the SPI header is near 25Q256JVFQ. Why would they provide SPI header for the BMC chip when you can upate it via web interface?
OK. the SPI1 was used by Gabber to flash the BIOS. and on the KNPA-U16 is a 8 Pin 16MB chip instead of the 16 pin 25q256.
looks indeed this is the BIOS chip but where is the BMC FW chip ?
All BIOS files are 16MB in size CAPs. there is no way to flash the bare CAP into the chip. for that reason the SPI1 near the chip is ASUS nonsense.