ASUS KRPA-U16 full BIOS dump request

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cool_recep

Apr 7, 2022
OK. the SPI1 was used by Gabber to flash the BIOS. and on the KNPA-U16 is a 8 Pin 16MB chip instead of the 16 pin 25q256.
looks indeed this is the BIOS chip but where is the BMC FW chip ?
All BIOS files are 16MB in size CAPs. there is no way to flash the bare CAP into the chip. for that reason the SPI1 near the chip is ASUS nonsense.
I don't know where exactly the BMC chip is but I know that you don't flash CAP. As mentioned before, here in this thread, you use UEFITool to extract ROM and then flash it. That is my plan.

cool_recep

Apr 7, 2022
mhh sure as i mentioned.
WHY does ASUS make SPI1 header which can not be used because ASUS do not provide flashable files ?
It's for their own use or for the service use...

And it's not just ASUS. MSI, Gigabyte, ASRock does the same. Even XBOX had this, called JTAG...

cool_recep

Apr 7, 2022
Gigabyte is also switching to CAP... Gigabyte...Enable Secure Boot and brick the motherboard. Told them about this problem months ago, still no update. Gigabyte and MSI are second players.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Gigabyte is also switching to CAP..
by the way: with Supermicro & Gigabyte,ASRock you can update the BIOS with the IPMI GUI. ASUS not ?
Gigabyte boards for Rome have a 32MB BIOS chip with Rome in the first 16mb and Milan in the second 16mb of the whole 32mb chip.
just a therory: is it possible to remove the 25q256 chip and populate the 8 Pin Socket for a DIP BIOS chip ? sure then you have only the BIOS for one EPYC gen, not two.

cool_recep

Apr 7, 2022
sure. like supermicro, the end of DOS flashing and BIOS modding.
As long as there is BIOS Flasback, I don't care much.

by the way: with Supermicro & Gigabyte,ASRock you can update the BIOS with the IPMI GUI. ASUS not ?
Normally, you can do that via BMC Web GUI but in this case, you have to have an old CPU which is a bummer.

just a therory: is it possible to remove the 25q256 chip and populate the 8 Pin Socket for a DIP BIOS chip ? sure then you have only the BIOS for one EPYC gen, not two.
I am not sure about that.

cool_recep

Apr 7, 2022
pls elaborate !
Sure:

https://www.reddit.com/r/gigabyte/comments/rnp2et
https://www.reddit.com/r/gigabyte/comments/rkff7e
https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/tgnzai
Even on our own forum:

Reactions: RolloZ170

cool_recep

Apr 7, 2022
the dedicated LAN port is the RJ45 over the USB ports. should be DHCP by factroy default.
It is DHCP and I can see the IP but it does not respond when I try to reach it via browser or explorer. I have two options:
  • CH341A
  • Raspberry Pi 4
I'll try them this week but it would be nice if someone provided better pinout information. I asked ASUS and I'm waiting for their feedback.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
It is DHCP and I can see the IP but it does not respond when I try to reach it via browser or explorer. I have two options:
i have a third option: RMA to ASUS and ask for Milan BIOS.
not normal the BMC is not working. Heartbeat LED flashing ? waited long enough ? takes 2 minutes to respond from powerup.
Web GUI connection is not safe(not ssh)